Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

First month since June where we have been up from the previous month. We are nearly back to where we were in June 2021.

9 Likes

Increased my net worth by 224% in the past month wooooo

(the advantage of not having a positive net worth until recently - no bad comparison points :rofl: )

22 Likes

Up from last month, and totals are down just over 4% for the year which is better than it was. On the other hand, when I look at individual accounts I have one that’s up 1700% so that’s fun :smiley: (I consolidated accounts, and for various reasons it made sense to move everything to the account that had previously had the smallest balance).

6 Likes

I know we have one more month of the year left but I just wanted to thank everyone for participating in this thread, especially because of what this year has been like!

It’s been really nice to hear from those of you who are very wealthy because it’s heartening to hear that you are also having losses/not hitting goals this year. So thanks! It’s really assured me that it’s not a thing I’m doing wrong, etc, when I see people who are so much richer (and frankly better at math and optimization) having a similar downturn to me.

TY all! Let’s hope 2023 is, uh, less surprising? And that we all meet our goals! :smile:

21 Likes

i’m now up $40k from this time last year! of course i had a bunch of RSUs vest and plowed about $60k more than that into the market since then :upside_down_face: but it is nice to see the line going up for a change :smiling_face_with_tear: may it continue!

11 Likes

Quick budget meeting today. We did well, for us, in November. Net worth up $3000.

4 Likes

I’m down $5k from last month. Closing out the year at $236k. My goal was $300k!

17 Likes

Net investments down 7.5% compared to end of last year.

5 Likes

There are some shenanigans happening and I can’t access Husband’s retirement account to see the most recent numbers, but we are at $522k net worth. Down 78k from the start of the year.

Oof.

Time to sit down and take a hard look at our expenses and see what still makes sense for us and where we can get back on track. I know a LOT of this was market fluctuations (mostly down) and we had some high value spending this year with redoing a bathroom to it’s fullest bougie potential plus 4 trips. But still. Ouch.

15 Likes

End of year net worth total increase for 2022…up $5000. We aren’t really in the market. Mostly short term GICs.

6 Likes

What are these?

3 Likes

Well, I’m in either April or August-ish of this year, or April/May of 2021…

6 Likes

Guaranteed Investment Certificate. In Canada you can buy the regular one or a market linked one. I am buying regular ones only. They are attached to the interest rate. Each one has a fixed interest rate throughout the term. If interest rates are going up, a GIC will result in a better return. If it’s going down, so does your return. Only catch is the return is usually less than the rate of inflation, but considering the stock market these days, the return is better than that!

The market linked GIC can have a higher rate of return, but your return floats with the market index throughout the term of the investment. If the market falls, you get what you put in, but that’s it. If the market rises, you get the increase, up to a certain benchmark each financial institution decides on their own…usually in the low 20% rate of return.

Regardless, in both types your base investment is guaranteed. You get it back at the end of the term. These are usually sold in Canada for 1 year, 2 year, 3 year, etc. terms.

They are kind of like the old Term Deposit investment vehicle I don’t see anymore.

5 Likes

I bought myself some new years shares today! Now we have $55k in ETFs! I should be saving to pay off the house because of our maybe-one-day-renovation, but this is much more satisfying. Probably need some sort of colouring in thing to make the house savings exciting.

8 Likes

2022 dividends would have covered 65% of our spend. My plan had been for 50%.

11 Likes

In 2022 my investments decreased 40% of my FI number (this includes the cash - 6% of FI - I took out for living expenses). Fortunately I started the year at 175% FI, so I’m still sitting pretty at 135% FI.

Note: I retired in 2018 at 105% FI

10 Likes

Despite a not great year in the market, our net worth has doubled since 2017. Wut. Knowing stuff like that makes money not feel real. Huh, although I did start getting into FIRE in 2016 … as was said elsewhere on this forum recently, maybe this stuff does really work. How 'bout that.

11 Likes

I love this reframe. Our net worth is down (a lot, eep! :see_no_evil:), from December 2021, but it’s up from 2020, and almost 3x what it was in 2017. Hooray, this stuff really works!

10 Likes

We are down 11% from EOY 2021 to EOY 2022.

Kind of depressing. But our cash savings are up, as our number of shares held; so most of that is unrecognized losses, since stocks are all made up anyway.

5 Likes

Similar… end of year Net Worth growth
2021 to 2022 -9.7% :scream:
2020 to 2022 +12.2% :smile:
2012 to 2022 +831.3% :joy:

11 Likes