Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

I ended 2022 down 9.5%, even with a healthy investment into the accounts (so really down even more). But I’m looking forward to seeing all the stuff I bought rise up over the next few years, and I will still get more dividends and more shares for future me to be happy that I pushed hard for the year.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’m down 8% from last year if I ignore my deposits, 16% when I include them. Is it “correct” to include them?

2 Likes

I just look at the total overall number of assets minus debts. Parsing out how much money we made from our jobs versus what the markets did is beyond my tracking.

2 Likes

I’ve always just figured up is good and down is bad, but never tried to figure percentages.

1 Like

I assume we’re down from the beginning of the year, but the beginning of the year was right in the middle of a big fat stupid unprecedented climb, so I’m not overly worried about it. Not even going to look.

4 Likes

End of 2013: 27K
End of 2014: 41K
End of 2015: 78K
End of 2016: 120K
End of 2017: 199K
End of 2018: 241K
End of 2019: 315K
End of 2020: 386K
End of 2021: 493K
End of 2022: 478K – Decrease of 15K or 3%.

So while we still put plenty (25K+ ) into the markets this year, savings went from 383K to 326K. Oof, our first down year since I started tracking NW and Retirement assets. Oh well, we still ended the year with less debt than last year, and we’ll march on. Maybe if we’re lucky we’ll cross the 500K mark this year.

6 Likes

Me to- I just look at straight numbers. I don’t worry about where the money came from, whether I put it in, or if we got it from the market.

We do separate cash and investment accounts, so while our total money is down from last year, our cash savings is up. Like rural said, the end of 2021 was basically an incredible high, so it makes sense we were down overall. But I’m glad that with all of our spending we have more cash than we did then, because we invest first, and cash savings is the “extra” that we spend out of. If that increases instead of decreasing, that tells me we didn’t overspend.

I know some people would say that means we aren’t investing enough, I understand that actually lost money to inflation, but I feel like I need a decent cash fund to feel comfortable.

7 Likes

We were down 5.14% in 2022. It’s good in the sense that we “beat the market” in terms of the S&P500. It’s bad in that we’re down this much even after figuring in any savings/investments.

Oh well, you win some, and you lose some. We lost some last year. Hoping to win some in 2023!

3 Likes

Direct action, ignoring market delta, we saved almost $31k this year. Yay! However, our networth went down by over $84k. Wompwomp, lol. But we finished the year owning lots more shares than we started and we’re nowhere close to retiring, so make believe numbers it is!

7 Likes

So looks like our networth is down 13.3% I think? We did have $10k in medical bills and bought a truck though, so that plus the markets I’m not exactly shocked.

2 Likes

My NW is up 10% even though my investments tanked. The secret is to buy three houses and fix them up in a single year.
Follow for more extremely simple and practical ideas!

16 Likes

NW down $9k + dropped below $300k this year, however most of it was market monopoly money. Our cash stash went up though!

EDIT: forgot about my I-bonds, which squeaked us just over $300k! Total NW down $4k.

7 Likes

Net worth increase of $227778 for the year, which is mainly due to house valuations being done when I refinanced my mortgage, and getting a bump in equity

12 Likes

:partying_face: wow that’s awesome!

2 Likes

Our net worth is down 6.5% for 2022, but our retirement accounts are up 0.15% (aka ~$750).

Realistically we’re almost maxing our retirement accounts out, with an additional employer match, so we put in just over $50k for that $750.

7 Likes

I do like this chart, and it went in the right direction this month quarter (lower Trailing Twelve Month expenses, higher 4% / expected income from investments).

Would still be nice to see lower expenses once again…

5 Likes

Whenever people here post charts like this I feel like I might as well be looking at a hieroglyph.

The colors are lovely! And I assume the information derived from the directions that the colored lines are going is informative! 10/10 chart by my estimation.

10 Likes

My first thought was “it’s so pretty!” :rofl:

3 Likes

Ha ha, but I have tiny, obscure acronyms :rofl:

(red) TTM + PI: The sum total of ongoing expenses from the 12 months leading up to the point in time, including the Principal and Interest of my mortgage. Basically a way to see rolling average annual expenses. Any one month can only pull the average, but consistent control of expenses is necessary.

(yellow) TTM: (same but omit Principal and Interest)

(green) 4%: All invested assets, divided by 25 - an estimate of how much of my expenses those investments could cover if I stopped working.

(blue) 4% - mtg: (same but take the remainder of the mortgage away, as if I paid it off)

The key lines are red and green, and I want green to rise up to meet (and surpass) red! If that happened, and seemed to sustainable, then I could stop working. (The yellow/blue are just an alternate reality where I decide to pay off my mortgage instead of keeping that amount invested. Before buying a house in April 2016, only one reality was possible :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

Your use of formulas must be epic.

4 Likes