Net Worth Tracking, Support, Celebration!

Only track at the end of the quarter, but I put in preliminary (super scary) numbers in about a week ago… which was “the bottom” at the time, so looking again this week is like Christmas :rofl: Still going to be a very red Q2… between contributions and growth, Year over Year numbers are almost always positive… but I think it’s going to be close this time…

8 Likes

I looked. Why did I do that?

11 Likes

I sold a bunch of investments and now the market is rebounding. You’re welcome.

18 Likes

Never had that effect on the entire market, but that’s always how I know my company stock is going to go up :smiley:

ETA–About two more days before I check (I try to log around the end of the month for my personal tracking purposes)…should be interesting.

7 Likes

Mine hasn’t changed since January, but only because I’ve been shoveling so much in – I expect to start seeing drops once I get my pay cut in August. It’s definitely the longest I’ve gone without any increase since I started working.

8 Likes

Mine only increases if I factor in property price increases.

Its stayed stableish because of the extra Ive been putting in

1 Like

I hate not being able to shovel in right now.

ETA: @darlingpants - I really liked having the full data set after the fact, but I understand that mentally it doesn’t work for everyone to be looking now.

4 Likes

Same, we’ve had so many big medical and car expenses! But I don’t think we could have out-saved this even without those popping up. Single income, etc.

6 Likes

Yeah, no paychecks for two months makes a difference over here.

4 Likes

Whoops I tracked and went back under our last big milestone

9 Likes

Haha same!

4 Likes

you get to hit it again and have a celebration!

4 Likes

I have an interesting choice to make. I’ve kept our home value as it’s appraised value at time of purchase 2 years ago. But we just had it redone to drop PMI, and it jumped a TON. To the point that it feels like cheating to use it in my networth calculations? Like it’s gonna look like our NW has gone up nearly 200k when our investments have actually dropped a bunch.

8 Likes

I struggle with this, too. I’ve been keeping mine the same as the purchase price. When I sold my previous house for much, much more than I paid, I didn’t want all that gain to show up in my tracker in the year of sale. So I retroactively distributed it among the 5 years I owned the place. But I’ve been here almost 17 years now and I haven’t adjusted it. (I bought at the previous market top, then it went down, then back up, so there’s probably 200-250k in equity I’m not counting.)

7 Likes

And down we go…I don’t track home value in this one since I still need somewhere to live, so it’s a little more obvious when investments are being interesting.

5 Likes

Net worth is just higher than it was in May 2021.

House value is set at appraised value from 2016 purchase.

If I add a (not-at-all-mathematical) trendline of sorts…

… it’s almost like the exuberance of the markets in the second half of 2021 is the real anomaly here.

9 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 9.31.55 AM

Ouch.

we are now at a 3.51% projected withdrawal rate of our invested assets. We have 2 years expenses in cash not counted, so we don’t need to pull right now.

9 Likes

Not real numbers since I am waiting on some things from the adult with whom I share finances, but cue heavy metal guitar riff for the assets number.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.07.19 AM

25 Likes

Awww yisssss

3 Likes

Refigured our net worth for the end of June. Decided, with Hubby’s input, to use the assessed value of the house, rather than making a guess at market value. Lowered our net worth by $100,000 CAD.

2 Likes