Moving Pictures

Share your film recs here! I’m super behind on movies from the last few years, but I watched Cyrano (the 2021 adaptation with Peter Dinklage as Cyrano de Bergerac) this weekend and thought it was fantastic (my wife found the musical numbers unbearably cheesy, though, so to each their own). didn’t need to be a musical, but really well acted, good blocking, and the three leads are all incredibly hot.

5 Likes

Great topic! I love movies. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Menu and I really liked it. It was one of the best new movies I’ve seen in a while. If you like satire and commentary on haute cuisine I highly recommend it! I thought the acting/casting was excellent and the storyline was great.

3 Likes

Oh, has anyone seen M3GAN? I think I missed it in theaters but I’ll catch it at some point- how was it?

2 Likes

I recently discovered the 90s dark comedy satire of gay conversion camps called “But I’m A Cheerleader” and loved it.

I introduced one of my kids to one of my favorite romcoms “While You Were Sleeping”. Another 90s movie but I thought it’s held up really well.

4 Likes

it is SO FUNNY. m3gan is my real name haha so i extra enjoyed it. super entertaining.

2 Likes

I’m watching the 1985 hit Commando. 80s action movies scratch a certain itch. The itch for one liners, explosions and bodybuilders shooting Russians.

my favorite movie lately is TÁR – it’s about a pretentious lady conductor played by cate blanchett who turns out to be a terrible person and i just found it super smart and darkly funny. lots of folks i’ve talked to have hated it though, which i don’t really get! it’s on peacock right now.

1 Like

I have no opinion and know nothing about the movie but I recall seeing a headline about how the conductor it was loosely based on found it to be an offensive portrayal?

Is M3GAN a dark comedy?! Haha, I thought it was like, sci-fi Annabel.

1 Like

hmm, as far as i know, tar is not based on any real person.

i think m3gan is technically a “horror” movie, but it’s PG13 so not that gory, and it’s definitely in on the joke. kinda like the chucky movies, you know?

1 Like

I remembered it wrong! It was this conductor. She was mentioned in the film but it wasn’t based on her.

Ahhh, ahaha. Yeah, I’m still in! I love camp.

1 Like

oh my gosh! i imagine it would be really alarming to hear yourself name-checked in a movie and also share a lot similarities with the main character! i still loved that crazy bitch lydia tar though :laughing:

the movie is just … so thought-provoking and unhinged and funny. it’s long as hell though, and you have to have a certain tolerance for pretentiousness to be able to sit through it. the folks i have talked to who hated it couldn’t get past that to the fruity insanity inside. the ending is just … perfection to me. i really loved it and honestly can’t stop thinking about it!

2 Likes

I’ve finally watched Knives Out and Glass Onion and enjoyed both! Glass Onion was a little more fun for me, but also more tragic.

6 Likes

I love this. It sounds like a fun ride of a movie!

1 Like

If you like romcoms, I really enjoyed Set It Up, which features workaholic bosses Taye Diggs and Lucy Lui. It was surprisingly funny and well-written!

1 Like

The best movie I’ve seen in a long time (OK, I don’t see lots of movies) is Everything Everywhere All at Once. It is a RIDE! I loved it so much. And I watched it with my daughter which made it more special because there’s a whole mother/daughter relationship storyline. But there’s a lot more, too!

10 Likes

I really want to see that! But the last time we tried it was specifically to do a family move night and one of our kids wasn’t liking it after 30 minutes or so, so we need to try again sometime.

2 Likes

Yes! That movie is SO GOOD.

3 Likes

Last night I watched Viking Wolf on Netflix. It’s a Swedish campy horror movie and I’d give it a B-/C+ or so. It’s fun but very predictable but still fun, if you know what I mean. If you’re looking for just, bubble gum horror, then it’s a good choice!

I also recently watched The Wave, which is a Norwegian disaster movie, and that was really good. I’d give it an A. If you’re into disaster movies you should def watch it.

3 Likes

I watched We Have A Ghost on Netflix last night. It was cute and charming. If you’re looking for a goofy kids’ (not super little kids maybe, bc ghosts) movie I recommend it! A bit of a second screener but that’s what I wanted at the time.

6 Likes

I took my kids to see the new Ant-Man movie last night, Quantumania or something. In ScreenX, which is new to me and pretty fun. I didn’t particularly like the movie but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t good. I just don’t enjoy superhero movies. My whole family loves Marvel movies but eh, not my thing. All the actors were great, I’ll give it that. And it reminded me a lot of Star Wars. Previous Ant-Man movies are not like Star Wars, but this one kind of is.

3 Likes