Motivation Thread

Today is the Friday before Christmas when all through the office
People keep sending emails like we should actually be working.

Okay that didn’t rhyme, but my motivation is low. Posting here for accountability, anyone else who wants to join in is welcome.

By the next check in I will: send five emails, read two documents.

12 Likes

By next check in I will have reviewed the job mandates and given my feedback

1 Like

My job totally sucks rights now and I have a shitton to get done today because we are closed the 23-25. I need to focus rather than freaking out about when the gift baking and vending prep will get done between now and tomorrow night. (Unexpectedly vending tomorrow night at an event I was going to anyway. Am unprepared.)

I am on the el now - when I get in to work I am going to get coffee, answer some vendor questions, and make edits and PDFs for project 1 ( as of yesterday I now have FOUR projects due by end of year). Then I will make edits and PDFS for project 2.

Then I will review files for project 3 because I am supposed to estimate how much time it will take ( note: I am terrible at this, I overpromise so people don’t get angry with me and then work tons of OT to make it happen ).

That probably takes me to lunch at which point I have a therapy appointment.

3 Likes

I have done the feedback on the mandates. Some people simply cannot write a clear sentence.

I have a candidate coming in for an interview in 30 minutes, so I am undecided what to do for this time. I guess print and review the contract for a new partner.

1 Like

Here. I have approximately one million job postings on my “to apply” list. Better get to it…

I have reviewed the contract and got out one good question and two requests for clarification.

Ok, now to work on the stuff for my talk that is due eod Sunday.

• Wash dishes :orange_circle: In Progress
  • Clean bathroom
  • Pick up xmas sweater :white_check_mark:
  • Call VA tax dept :white_check_mark: << both NY and VA said to include capital loss carryover in NY return
  • Re-re-take check photo for deposit, call if still doesn’t work

Another big thing that I was waiting on popped up.

Spreadsheet part done. Need to send at least one email for it, maybe more. Find out how to have X followed in system I’m not familiar with.

Then: Read document. Process [thing].

Then, then: Revisit to do list.

Ok, next time I post I will have finished this dumb-ass article I’m working on.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Update: eliminated 1 job from the to-apply list and ate cheese. Progress?

3 Likes

This is mostly done! I could not finish Project 1 because the stakeholders are dithering over whether some changes should be made. And I just got some more changes.

Found that the files from project 3 are fairly simple and will only be a day or two of work. This makes me happy! I can’t actually do the work yet, mind you, it’s not approved. Maybe next week. But! I thought this was going to be a huge task, and it is not.

Had to cancel therapy. Got meeting’ed. Who are these people who are still in the office and working?!? :wink:

Next I am going to make the additional changes to Project 1. After that I have to attend to some housekeeping on both desktop and laptop macs, re updating various login credentials and other garbage so that I can WFH over the holidays without incident.

1 Like

Jesus christ, brain. work already! I just want to shut down. I didn’t pack enough lunch. The soup I packed is terrible. I feel like the Other Forum at one point had a thread on how to salvage stuff you cooked that came out shitty and I am thinking about starting one here.

I want to put my head down on my desk and go to sleep.

In other news, I did manage to do all the updates on both macs.

1 Like
  • Wash dishes :orange_circle: In Progress
  • Clean bathroom :white_check_mark:
  • Pick up xmas sweater :white_check_mark:
  • Call VA tax dept :white_check_mark: << both NY and VA said to include capital loss carryover in NY return
  • Re-re-take check photo for deposit, call if still doesn’t work
  • Get laundry out of dryer :white_check_mark:

7 Likes

holy flying spaghetti monster that sweater is amazing

2 Likes

Sadly it’s only borrowed, and for an ugly sweater event that I can’t make it to. But I will wear it somewhere else!

2 Likes

I was taught a method for this earlier. I have not needed to try it yet, but it sounded good so I am sharing.

Start with absurdly long time, then scale back until it starts to seem just a bit tight. Then double it. Because other issues come in, software glitches, sick days, etc. Apparently this ends up pretty accurate. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes
  • Clean bathroom :white_check_mark:

I put this on for appropriate mood music:

2 Likes

Snort, I need to scrub the bathroom this weekend and I think I want Moz to keep me company too!

2 Likes

You guys, I sucked it up and powered through and I got a SHITLOAD of work done today!

6 Likes