Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

I have not but will check it out!

2 Likes

As a spouse to a coffee snob I feel the need to say that what you’re describing is “iced coffee”, not “cold brew.” :grin: Nothing wrong with that, though, unless you’re a fancy coffee shop and charge double for cold brew compared to brewed.

I def would not call it best in the city because it would probably be sour (or “bright”) and that’s what I hate in coffee, but some people love that. I’m less confident I could identify half and half.

2 Likes

PS @plainjane I haven’t tried it but I bet actual cold brew would be fine to use up the espresso grind? The cold should limit what flavors you extract so it’s not too bitter, and the long time should make the grind size fairly irrelevant.

Did I mention I was married to a coffee snob?

3 Likes

Yeah to be clear, I don’t call it that and they do taste different. But I’m not “above” iced coffee. Heck, there’s some gas station coffees I’ll take over single origin African light roasts because they are waaaaay too acidic for me. So my snobbery is… very relative.

4 Likes

True cold brew is our favorite way to use up dark roasts we don’t enjoy as pour overs :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love diner coffee. It’s usually burnt and bitter but I still like it :slight_smile: just like with food and clothes and media I enjoy both ends of the spectrum. My spotify lists are very confusing.

7 Likes

Dinner! DH doesn’t care for shrimp and I can’t eat tofu so this worked out well! From now on whenever I make myself seafood I’ll just toss a block of tofu in the air fryer for dh. He was a big fan! The pickles turned out really well, too. Maybe my best batch ever.

Hers

His

11 Likes

Please tell me more about air fryer tofu. Is it a pre-seasoned tofu or plain? Do you do anything to it before putting it in the air fryer? I am asking silly questions because I don’t actually have an air fryer yet, but I am building my case for why I want to get a combo air fryer toaster oven wants our toaster oven breaks. That was supposed to be once our toaster oven breaks, but I’m leaving it because I kind of want to get a new one but I can’t justify it until it breaks!

7 Likes

Air fryer tofu is incredible. I can say that with a lot of authority because I was a vegetarian for like 9 years and my husband was a vegan for about the same. We have eaten a lot of tofu and I have prepared it many ways. I have yet to get as good a result using any other method (other than deep frying in oil) as I have with the air fryer. It’s impossible to mess up, too. Preheat to 380 - 400 depending on tofu thickness, cut tofu however you want, once preheated coat the rack part of the air fryer with oil (I use a basting brush because I never have that spray on oil, but you could use that). Then, I place each piece of tofu in so none (or very few) are on top of each other, I use the brush again to plop a bit of oil on each tofu. I cook for like 15 minutes, I think? Then check on it and add more oil if I want, then back in for another 10 minutes or so. They will be perfectly crispy every single time.

I don’t see a big benefit to pre-marinating or seasoning the tofu as tofu doesn’t really absorb things that way (unless you are aging it for a really really long time). I know people say tofu takes on the flavor of anything it’s with but that’s only true in terms of being a vehicle; it’s not the same as marinating a piece of meat overnight. Tofu marinades do almost nothing which is why roasting tofu doesn’t make a lot of sense but sautéing it or frying it does. I add sauce after cooking the tofu and it does indeed all taste like the sauce! But you totally could do marinades and stuff before hand if you want too, I’d just eliminate the sugar to ensure it doesn’t burn.

The only tricky thing I’ve found with the air fryer is that you can’t see what’s going on inside, so when I first started using it I would stop it a lot to check on the food, haha. 100% worth it IMO, I have a Cosori brand.

10 Likes

Dumb question, but you probably still have to press the tofu before air frying it, right?

5 Likes

I have this same question! I’ve never cooked tofu before but I remember Alton Brown mentioning to press it on an episode of Good Eats

5 Likes

This is an argument for me getting an air fryer right here. I love crispy fried tofu and while my pan frying game is improving it is still not quite right.

3 Likes

You do not! I have tested it both ways and there is no difference. It seriously makes it SO FAST.

5 Likes

WHAT

I love tofu but hate hate hate pressing it

uh oh lol

7 Likes

Can I ask which specific air fryer you have? I don’t even know what size would be best…

for purely informational purposes ofc

4 Likes

Of course! For research, I understand :wink:

That’s the one I have, which you can buy at non-amazon places too. I will say that if I had a larger family I probably wouldn’t recommend it only because the basket is better suited for 2 people. It also makes stellar french fries and sweet tater fries.

5 Likes

Actually, in a roasting pan where tofu can release and reabsorb it’s own juices (plus suck in any other flavours around) is my favourite. But everything else you said is correct and I agree. I’m very curious about air fryer tofu because generally i’m not the buggest fan of deep fried tofu.

3 Likes

Interesting! I’ve not had luck with that method but my technique might have been incorrect.

3 Likes

I’m super curious about air fryer tofu now! For years I have been baking my tofu per the following recipe. Both me (vegetarian) and my meat eating partner love it this way but I do have to press the tofu.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-baked-tofu-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-74358

I’m not sure where we would put an air fryer but it is tempting!

Do you have to make small batches? Like if you are doing a block of tofu (pound?) can you do it all at once?

3 Likes

That recipe is similar to what I’ve done in the past. I felt like it improved the texture a lot, and it crisped it up and dehydrated the outside a bit, but I could never get full flavor distributed throughout the entire center. I also found that I could get the same textural change without any marinade, but obviously ymmv.

I think if you like it cooked that way you would definitely like it in the air fryer. I do a whole block of tofu at a time if I’m doing cubes, but if I’m doing it more “cutlet” style I have to do it in batches…hence the cubes in my photo, haha.

Other vegetarian air fryer things I’ve made: Arancini (mine have meat but easily veg), Falafel, Spring Rolls, Sweet Potato Fries, French Fries, Tempeh, any veggie that you would normally roast.

4 Likes