Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

Oh god, Aldi coffee is terrible.
What is your price point? My go-to when I am not ordering fancy flavored coffee with skulls on the bags is Kick Ass blend by Kicking Horse Coffee. Around 8 or 9 bucks a bag, I usually stock up on it at Vitacost when they have a coupon code or a site wide sale so it is less.

Pro tip when ordering from Vitacost, let your cart sit for a day and they almost always will send a 10% off code the next day. (If you have an account with them and log in before you put together your cart)

5 Likes

That price sounds ok to me! Thanks for the tip too! I’ve never heard of Vitacost before. I was paying like $10 a bag on amazon and that feels like wayyyy too much. I actually wanted to try Kicking Horse so this will work out perfectly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At Costco you can buy whatever coffee you want and they have grinders at the front of the store to help you grind up the whole bag!

5 Likes

Someone here turned me on to Vitacost at the beginning of the pandemic. I ordered a lot of pantry staples there when we were not going into stores and their prices at the time were pretty good. Best to watch for a sale though, which they have often.

3 Likes

Yes @ginja_ninja ! I used to use those when I went in person but on Instacart there’s no way to ask them to grind it for you, but otherwise a good rec!

Awesome! Thanks again @TrisPrior !

2 Likes

They have a 20% off food sale today! I think it includes coffee/tea. I :heart: Vitacost. If anyone’s interested, the code is FOODSAVE

6 Likes

I JUST SAW THAT!

Today is really shaping up for old Liz Lemon.

8 Likes

In an effort to curb my spending a bit that has gotten out of control, I’m committing to writing down every single item we buy in the month of august. I’ve gotten out of control trying to throw money at problems, especially with household stuff and anything that falls under “baby supplies”, which should really be renamed to Toddler supplies. I bought 26 different things on Amazon in July, not including the grocery delivery from Amazon fresh.

12 Likes

I like this idea and maybe should try it for myself as I go through periods where I feel like I’m not being spendy and just dealing with normal life, and then the credit card bill comes and HOLY SHIT WHY SO HIGH.

I would, at minimum, like to not be so shocked when I see the amount, I guess?

5 Likes

I was craving noodle delivery so I made my own :slight_smile: in a spicy and sweet vietnamese lemon sauce with shishito peppers and some egg on the side.

Hit the spot after a rough day! :slight_smile: I also had a watermelon smoothie with just cold cubed watermelon and it was so hydrating.

18 Likes

Try café Pilon. Similar notes to Bustelo

3 Likes

This is the first 2G2G mystery bag where none of the food has inspired a meal to use up some components immediately.

• we have some beef stew in the freezer to match with the yorkshire pudding at some point (but also still have some scalloped potato in the freezer too which would go well with stew or brisket).
  • raisin bread loaf could be french toast breakfasts, but then I checked closer and it is a panettone good until Oct.

We also have bell peppers, carrots, cabbage, sweet potato, onions.

Wednesday: rice noodles, shredded lettuce, bell pepper, pickled carrot, egg ribbons (rebar pg 2)
Thursday: chicken drumsticks with miso ginger & lime (Ottolenghi Simple p 230) and carrot sticks
Friday: okonomiyaki
Saturday: sweet potato home fries, peppered cheddar, tuna, pickled red onion, tomato
Sunday: shakshuka

4 Likes

Ooo, thank you! :slight_smile:

Is there anything to do with the tin of ground Lavazza espresso we got in the 2G2G bag, given that we don’t have an aeropress or moka pot? just find someone who is more set up to appreciate it?

3 Likes

We’ve made espresso in a regular drip pot many times when we were not in a position to throw stuff out! As long as you have a filter it should be fine. I also worked at a more than one restaurant that made espresso in small french press pots and the sieve part was small enough so granules didn’t pass through; it’s not pure/true espresso but it’s still a delicious coffee drink. It’s funny because I know it would slay the hearts of snob-coffee-hobbyists but lots of cafes and restaurants do things like that! A lot of cafes also make cold brew by making hot coffee and then chilling it, lol, or do that when they run out of real cold brew or do 50/50 real cold brew and chilled hot coffee.

It’s funny because you always think people will notice and then they taste it and are like, “this is the best cold brew in the city!” :laughing: Other than touching beans a lot (hand oils), over roasting (like starbucks), or buying really terrible stuff (like dunkin’), coffee is pretty sturdy! I’d just throw it in my usual coffee pot!

8 Likes

I mean, hell, this is what I do at home because I am lazy! I make it a little stronger than I would, and it’s fine for everyday use.

3 Likes

I mean, most people don’t drink their coffee black anyway (I do and it’s usually met with surprise by baristas- the taste difference is pretty big black, IMO). If the beans aren’t over roasted and you’re adding sugar and milk…you most likely won’t be able to tell. I mean you’re dumping ice, which melts, into it anyway, lol.

I think coffee is kind of like wine. Yes, there is a difference from bottom tier to mid tier to high tier, but after a certain point it’s mostly made up and I don’t think people can tell as much a difference as they think they can.

9 Likes

We are somewhat coffee snobs (I mainly say that jokingly, although we do love a good local bean), but this is 100% what we do.

2 Likes

I drink it black if it’s hot but add almond milk (or occasionally half and half or cream, if we have some that needs used up) if it’s iced. Some flavors taste fine black and iced but I feel like I’m getting something fancy if I add some milk-like thing to it, haha.

I agree with you on the wine! I’ve had fancy wine at someone’s house and been like… actually, this is not noticeably better than the stuff I buy for myself which is always under $20 and usually in the $10-$15 range max.

3 Likes

Have you seen the movie Sour Grapes on Netflix? It’s a great documentary about a wine con.

4 Likes