Money Saving Mindset- Group Journal

Funny anecdote about tables - when Ry was in college he went to spend the weekend at his (older, married) sister’s house. She found him doing homework on the fancy formal dining room table and went crazy. She still brings it up and talks about how he ruined an expensive table by writing on it. He was writing on a piece of paper, but the fancy table was such a soft wood that the writing clearly showed through, pressed into the top of the table. He is still frustrated by the fact that she would buy a table that was essentially just for show and couldn’t be used like a table is meant to be used. (And then yell at him for using it!)

To this day he insists that furniture in our house is meant to be used and he will never buy something that can’t be used in a normal way. Thankfully he and I are in agreement about that :rofl::rofl:

14 Likes

Our table is okay right now (knock on wood) but I’m sure as hell not replacing our couches for another ten or twelve years. Which reminds me I need to put couch covers on my to shop for list.

5 Likes

This is very reasonable! I didn’t even know there were tables out there that are so soft you can’t write on them!??!

8 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face: as would I, as would I. Sorry to hear that!

4 Likes

the shadowy one has a very heavy hand, it is certainly noticeable on the current desk. We aren’t going to be the people buying a leather lined one in the future, even if it is very pretty.

7 Likes

Haha, I relate to all of this. My husband is of the opinion that if it costs money it must naturally be indestructible. I left behind my dreams of crystal glasses years ago :laughing: especially after seeing him break a plate in half while washing it. He didn’t drop it. He just scrubbed with such force that it broke, and he was mystified, lol. I bought fiesta ware the next day.

10 Likes

I remember my grandmother having one.

2 Likes

My parents’ kitchen table is hideous and was their table in student housing. When they moved out the furniture was being replaced and they were able to buy everything. The table and dressers weigh a million pounds are very heavy and very bomb proof.

We looked for a round table used or new for over 8 months - for new, structube fit our needs and budget but not @Tris’ budget. We rejected the honey oak ones last august, and then didnt see any the right size again and regretted not buying and painting. We are using a slightly too big round conference table for $50? Used. It is in the same category as the honey oak ones. Super cheap and durable, not our dream table. Our max for not our dream table was $100; any higher and we’d rather get perfection. Tris, I think your bf’s attitude about the table is kind if weird. If its his project, give it back to him and stop paying attention to his complaints. Just this year i’ve been learning how to listen without giving energy to this kind of thing and its so freeing

11 Likes

This is why my wine glasses come from either the thrift store or Buy Nothing.

5 Likes

We have an agreement that at a hand wavey time in the future I will rebuy the whole kitchen and teach my husband how not to ruin it. For now, everything is being used hard and anything new I buy the tougher versions

6 Likes

Our old dining table and my current craft table are of a soft enough wood that I get to see all sorts of scratches and evidence of use.

On the bright side, it made it very easy to etch in a ruler on the long side!

8 Likes

We’ve been buying ground coffee at Costco. It’s certainly cheap! And I think it’s pretty good, but I drink one cup/day and my main requirement is strong and hot. Overall we go through two pots/day, so I’m not willing to buy anything too fancy.

3 Likes

Well, you could just throw a goth-y tablecloth over the wrong but cheap table and wait for the right table to turn up. Or you could buy a round folding table and put it away in between game nights. (Are you really going to have people inside for this soon?) Bonus - you could use it outside, too. My folding table is extremely useful.

But I think $500 for a not solid wood table is a lot, but nice tables are going to be a lot more than that. Since you’re not the person who wants it, then if he wants it now that’s up to him.

6 Likes

IKEA has a lot of pine tables that are in that category. Ask me how I know….

5 Likes

When my kids were home I had a thick pad made to protect my kitchen and dining room tables and then put a tablecloth on top. Once they grew up I had a piece of glass cut to fit my dining room table and love it because I can see the wood but it can’t be damaged. Buy the table you want tris. Yes your boyfriend should pay.

3 Likes

They also have good price for avocado oil!

2 Likes

Thanks @Cranky and @Bracken_Joy! I have been getting avocado oil at Costco but dh doesn’t like their ground coffee so the search continues .

3 Likes

Maybe the problem is the ground part :see_no_evil: #coffeesnob

5 Likes

What coffee does he like?

4 Likes

@Bracken_Joy I knowwww, I just don’t think I can handle taking on another permanent kitchen task at the moment. Maybe when my sprain is 100% better? I do like Lavazza ground tho. DH was actually a pro barista for years, lol, kind of ironic. I think that’s why he’s not into the coffee snob thing tho? But he does make us really good drinks!

@Marcela We used to drink Cafe Bustelo but we got burnt out on that after…like 12 years, lol. We really like Lavazza and we had some Peets that was pretty good; I think anything nice-ish that’s not Dunkin or Starbucks would be an improvement over the Aldi stuff.

5 Likes