Meme-ing our way through

I read somewhere that it’s a few dumb people falling for it and selling, and then the trading bots pick up on the slight change. The bots then search social media for mentions of that company and are trained to sell. So, it’s mostly bots. I want this to be true because it gives me hope for the intelligence of humanity.

5 Likes

Educational meme time!

mentions/heavily blurred and distant photo of indecent exposure

ETA in case you can’t read it well- the take away is to never ever plug an unknown USB drive into your computer. Not just cuz of indecent photos. But all sorts of nasties can do nasty things to your computer that way. Fun fact, Husband won’t even use the USBs that come with random purchases from mildly sketch sellers- like someone gave Latte a tiny digital kids camera for Christmas and we will not be using that USB. Stay safe kids and don’t accidentally spy for foreign governments or have your bank account details stolen.

8 Likes

So did Elon basically throw $44B down the toilet by purchasing Twitter and ruining it?

7 Likes

Seems like. And a whole lot of peoples lives in the meantime. Checks out. I’m pretty sure he thinks he, personally, is too big to fail, and anything he touches will succeed no matter what.

8 Likes

I haven’t written it off entirely yet. Tesla had a bunch of time when it looked like it was going to fail and he pulled it off. But it also looks reaaaaaaally bad and social media needs continuity more than a car company does.

3 Likes

Huh. If only this concept had been stress tested in his lifetime…

10 Likes

That’s for other people though. Other people who are not as awesome as he is. He’s obviously different and special!

8 Likes

15 Likes

Not fact checking

13 Likes

Tesla did not fire all the people that make it run. The whole payroll staff is apparently gone, so there are over 6,000 individual compensation lawsuits likely to come when severance isn’t showing up

13 Likes

27 Likes

I am certainly looking at twitter three times a day, despite not having logged in in years

6 Likes

Right but after it crashes and burns there will be a brand name, a code base, a bunch of fanatically loyal fans and a few fanatically loyal employees. It might still be something. And maybe in another 5 years that something will be big again.

Seems unlikely but not impossible?

I just think that he’s extremely reckless but he’s also very creative and he’s pulled wins out of really dumb looking stuff before. And I guess I still don’t 100% believe he bought Twitter with this bad of a plan for it. I assume there’s a game plan and that this is the shock doctrine part where it looks like everything is ruined so he can do something that otherwise would never be allowed.

2 Likes
actual twitter/elon discussion

Don’t forget he did try to get out of the deal but was forced back into the purchase.

There’s a lot of good info about what’s actually happening here, not in meme form: https://twitterisgoinggreat.com/

Also this is a great thread about keeping the infrastructure running: https://twitter.com/MosquitoCapital/status/1593541177965678592

and now the meme I came here to post

24 Likes

He has so much debt to service from the acquisition and no income to service it with as all big advertisers have left. Soon more debt from all the lawsuits on labor law. I am extremely skeptical.

He didn’t want to buy it, and the courts forced him too. He made a well-financed joke bid and had to follow through. I don’t think he has a plans

5 Likes

The getting locked in the office part might have been a joke?

Or maybe the joke is that getting locked in the office is real but they’re trying to pretend it wasn’t?

Part of the reason this is funny but extremely confusing is there’s basically no way to fact-check anything now there’s no moderation team….

8 Likes

The jokes are all over the place. The people locked in the parking garage was real, though, there was a video. I’d find it but my likes on twitter are now broken :smile::joy:

7 Likes
13 Likes

There’s no way to tell what’s real anymore when things like this happen

He previously posted a similar joke about FTX

Then he posted this about Twitter.

Then Elon replied to him as if it were real.

:exploding_head:

15 Likes

I’ve read about numerous people who moved to the US or Canada, within the last week, for jobs at twitter that were laid off. One guy was laid off on his first day after moving countries.

7 Likes