May Challenge - “May the Force Be with You”

To get back into a routine, I need to:

• Stretch every day
  • Do 1 thing on my PhD, no matter how small.

I don’t know when I’ll get regular time to myself to work or exercise, so I need to make the habit of making time in the margins for these two items.

9 Likes

Journal privately every day
Play with Percy every day

10 Likes

Walk every day (outside). Even if it’s 5 minutes.
Edit: I will update my journal every day or so for accountability reasons. I’m not committing to tracking the total time each day, just whether or not I have met the 5 Min goal.

5 Likes

Aw yissss. This is the perfect challenge for me, as I’d already set myself some fitness goals for the month that work really well with this.

• Starting at #20, each day increase by 1: active-passive hangs on pull up bar, and steel mace 360s each direction (goal is doing 50 of each of these per day by the end of the month).

• Complete 3-4 City Fit Girls Strength Club workouts per week

• Take at least 3 Zoom steel mace classes – can sub one with youtube or other video lessons equaling at least one hour.

• increase average miles run each week by one mile per day (i.e. average 4 miles/day 1st week, 5 miles/day 2nd week). I want to be up to about 50 miles/week by the end of the month. Note that before shutdown I was running 70-90 miles/week. I’ve been averaging 3-4 miles/day during shutdown, but my strength training has increased. I’m open to backing off on this buildup if it turns out twisting my ankle yesterday lingers as an issue. It feels better today/felt fine walking Woody this morning, but I haven’t tried running on it yet, and last time I twisted it I needed abut a week of slow recovery.

8 Likes

Oh, and outside of exercise, I’m following along with the Rosenbach Museum’s “Ulysses Every Day” project, and I want to keep up with that (keep up with reading along, watch daily posted snippets read aloud).

7 Likes

By about 9:30AM I was feeling like maybe I was too ambitious, I hadn’t gotten anything done yet and I had kid and dog underfoot and just augh. Then I got a free moment and moved into kid’s room and did my first set of ten in there. Now I’m on a call where I just need to listen and not participate so I knocked out two more sets so I’m at 30/100 for the day. That’s 10 more than I did yesterday and 30 more than I did the month before that.

Also, I’m totally doing them in my pajamas and bathrobe.

11 Likes

Also brush my teeth twice a day and take my meds as prescribed. 50% is not good enough for those

11 Likes

I’m in. I’m going to re-start weight lifting three times a week. Long overdue and it will make me feel better.

8 Likes

May 1: success. Have so far harvested radishes, planted out some of my tomato starts in the former radish bed, transplanted some wild onions from the edge of the woods, and foraged cat brier tips to go with the radishes and radish greens in a salad tonight. In a little bit I’m going to walk partway down the north slope in search of plantain, violet greens, and sorrel to round out that salad. Have decided I’ll wait until the sun caps over to plant out the rest of the tomatoes because it’s getting pretty brutal in full sun.

Oh, and tick count so far today: 3

7 Likes

Ohh, I’m in. There are a couple things I want to do.

• Daytime meditation

• Journal daily

I got out of the habit of doing both of these and it’s been hard to get back on track even though they help tremendously with my anxiety.

8 Likes

Exercise. I’m going to do the Darebee Zero Hero thing @diapasoun mentioned. That’s a little something every day, so I guess I’d better get on it for today! https://darebee.com/programs/zero-hero.html

5 Likes

This seems to be what I need right now, thanks for the link!

2 Likes

May 2: success.
I didn’t get moving until just after noon, so it was hot, but I went up in the woods and gathered leaves, mulched the tomatoes i planted out yesterday with leaves, visited the woods garden to admire the baby turnips, rutabagas, and radishes, then came back inside and repotted the tiny little tomato starts and one little pepper start that has decided to cooperate so far.Now I have to go get some work work done.

4 Likes

I neglected to consider weekends. No burpees today. Likely no burpees tomorrow either. But Monday!

1 Like

Only just saw this thread and it is already evening on day 4, sigh. My goal is to meditate - even 2 minutes daily and do a Yoga with Adriene session on Youtube (any length) 5 days a week.

8 Likes

I have been playing with Percy, but otherwise everything went wrong

5 Likes

I called my great aunt on Sunday, and we had a nice chat about gardening.

I’ve done yoga every day since the beginning of May. I forgot to track yesterday using the rewirements app (homework for The Science of Well-Being Yale course), but I did have a good streak going there for a bit.

I have not gone for a single walk yet. Weather is back-and-forth (typical spring in WA). I should just suck it up and put on a jacket.

3 Likes

Ooh, I’m stealing this. It sounds perfect for this horrible month. My file boxes arrived a few days ago, so I can start filing papers, which will definitely improve my environment.

Other ideas:

• put yarn on shelves acquired for that purpose
  • clear more stuff off my desk
  • organize the wiggler’s toys (this will be very short-lived improvement)
  • put stuff on shelves in the basement
  • spray the rosebushes with neem oil
4 Likes

Meet goals in spades yesterday, wore my boots too long and was whimpering with pain with every step by the time I got back to the house from where we’d hiked down the mountain to kill invasive privet along our road. I have a lower back problem it makes it very difficult to haul heavy shoes around for long periods of time.

So, today, I did all that sort of gardening things I said I wanted to in my stupid sandals. Will see if I can dig up a pair of tennis shoes or something for the long term, then only wear the boots for heavy work They are necessary for going down the mountain on foot so I don’t turn an ankle on the slopes.

ETA I’m counting both days as successes.

6 Likes

I’m doing well on tracking my spending. Woot!

Less well on doing my OT exercises, but not failing - just struggling a bit more to motivate myself.

9 Likes