May Challenge - “May the Force Be with You”

This lockdown has blown my routine. So, “may the force be with you” is a chance to get your physical, mental, or emotional self back on track, or to push your existing routine to the next level.

Do you want to exercise more? Have you always wanted to start some weight training? Do you want to build relaxation or meditation skills? Do you want better work/life balance? You can set a big goal (5K run), or small (5 minutes of meditation). You can pick one goal or many. THE FORCE (aka forum) IS WITH YOU! You can do this (and, there’s a sticker)

“May the Force Be with You:” will run from May 1 to May 31

Basic rules:

1. You must establish your own goals about what and how you are going to do. State them in this thread in the first few days of the month to get us kicked off in the right direction.
  2. Each week, report on how you did in this thread . You can report on where you’re at, ask for help, or complain. You can even change your goal(s) - hey, shit happens. If you miss a week, try to catch up.

Who This Challenge is For

Anyone who wants a little public accountability to improve their “FORCE” be it physical, mental, emotional, or other. THIS IS THE MONTH!

What do you get out of participating?

• Something that is important to do
  • A community to support you as you do something a little weird
  • A CUTE forum badge for participating
  • And if you do the challenge, you get a STICKER mailed to you.

If you’re in to participate (or on the fence and need encouragement), comment below with your goal(s).

Not into it? Check out our rad 20 in 2020 Challenges (there’s 5 to choose from ) and skip this month’s challenge.. It’s all good.

12 Likes

I’m in for getting out and gardening on all the days it doesn’t rain, possibly replaced with foraging as things get ready/ when the garden doesn’t need anything. In order for things to qualify, I must actually get off the porch (from which I can see our biggest garden patch) and put on my boots, not my little shitty sandals that are comfortable and easy to get around in the house but require a level surface.

8 Likes

I could really use the force to help with:

• some shoulder rehab

• stretching: GOAL - 2 stretches at least 5 days/ week)
    • light exercise (like arm circles): GOAL: big and small arm circles at least 5 days/week
    • light weight / resistance work: GOAL - shoulder press at least 3 days/week (or equivalent exercise)
      Feel free to suggest some ideas for stretches or exercise.
  • squats: GOAL - squats at least 5 days/week

• maybe meditation / relaxation discipline: GOAL - at least 5 minutes at least 3 days/week
    I always do the controlled breathing- type exercise

6 Likes

Are the boots right by the door? What would make this easier to do or harder to skip doing?

3 Likes

Meditation/relaxation discipline for me because I need that shit. Committing to 5 minutes a day; exact content can vary (meditation, quiet yoga, quiet kitty petting) but needs to happen.

6 Likes

I need this.

My things:

• Track expenses. It’s now more than 18 months since I’ve successfully had a tracking habit.
  • Do my OT exercises three times a week (they’re more like a workout than a stretch routine, so a rest day between is not a bad thing).
5 Likes

It’s very simple for me: work out or stretch every day, at least 20 mins.

That’s it. I’m genuinely capable of this, I used to average 2 hours a day. Lockdown has made it harder and not working out makes everything else harder.

6 Likes
  • Yoga on the weekday mornings
  • Reading a little bit every day
  • Call my great aunt weekly

I do this stuff like…half the time maybe? I really want to be more consistent about it.

6 Likes

Kitty petting is a great meditation. Or doggy petting.

2 Likes

By the door wouldn’t work in our scenario – we have four doors going out the front of the house (the house is long and only two rooms deep, dug into the side of a hill. We designed it for passive solar heating, so almost every area gets southern sun when the sun angle is slow in the winter. Makes for lots of glass doors, though.)

What would help is to keep a pair of socks with the boots, probably close to my office chair. Sometimes they get too muddy to be allowed in the house, and then they’re next to the loveseat on the porch, but usually they come in. We have to wear some kind of shoes in the house because the floor is concrete and in the summer we sometimes have scorpions.

Either way, keepIn socks with them will help. So thanks.

3 Likes

I’m in. Yoga on weekdays.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to do something to improve my environment each day. Unpack a box or plant things or something. Some accountability would be dope.

9 Likes

ME TOO

I find the best force within myself is when I am working out/stretching regularly

6 Likes

100 burpees a day. My plan is to do sets of 10 throughout the day.

7 Likes

Tying in with my Bingo challenges, I am going to commit to going for a run 4 times a week and also do stretching/yoga/pilates something 3 times a week

7 Likes

Run a minimum of six times, minimum two miles each time (at least one run per week, plus two bonus runs).

I’m going to not set any additional goals even though part of me wants to, because I’ve found during pandemic life that having goals that are too big or rigid do me more harm than good.

10 Likes

I have already decided to do a decluttering challenge so that is mine. 1 thing out for day 1, 2 things for day 2 etc. I am a little scared about this but I need external accountability and none of my friends want to do it so this is perfect :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’m in! Bike ride four days a week, and foam roll every day (I know I feel better when I foam roll, yet I so rarely do it…)

4 Likes

I want to do some sort of push-up challenge. My life would actually be improved if I meditated/stretched/foam rolled every day but those things are hard and 10 push-ups are less hard.
I also started re-learning piano and I’m on a streak. I’d like to play at least 10 minutes a day.

6 Likes

This is good timing…when I actually went in to work I (#1) biked/rollerbladed/walked to the office when the weather was decent and (#2) walked to the library over lunch at least a couple days every week regardless of the weather. I’m going to start out with a goal of going for a walk or bike ride somewhere at least three days a week and try to build up from there. If the group I work with would knock off the 7am meetings (9am on the east coast, which is of course the time zone of the person who keeps scheduling them) I’d get up, bike to work, bike back home, and then start work, but I can’t bring myself to get up early enough for that if I have to be functional at 7…maybe in a week or two when everyone on my team revolts.

4 Likes