Maintenance Phase Podcast Discussion

I get this from quinoa too, it’s such a pain.

2 Likes

Not really sure where to put this since it’s about a different podcast but I just listened to an episode of Throughline that I think would be really interesting to talk about. Throughline does deep dives into the history behind whatever topic they’re talking about, so I figured there’s probably some audience overlap with Maintenance Phase. I like it in general but the episode that prompted me to write this was Editing Reality (September 29, 2022) which is about the history of reality tv and how it’s impacted the world we live in now.

Would y’all be interested in talking about that? Should I start a new thread for Throughline?

6 Likes

I’m down! I listened to Michael’s new podcast too- did you? It’s good!

3 Likes

I have not yet! I’m working on the backlog I currently have with my podcasts. I could probably stand to review what all I’m subscribed to.

1 Like

I LOVED it

3 Likes

Anyone listen to the food pyramid episode yet? I’ve been saving mine for today, haha. I’m about to headphone it while I bake some bread :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wrote a paper for the history of food on the food pyramid, where I got a bunch of original documents out of government archives, so I was very eager for this episode. They actually covered a totally different angle than I did!

5 Likes

Oh cool! I’d love to hear your thoughts on the episode! It’s always eye opening to listen/read coverage of something you’re an expert in. Haha, can really change things!

Expert is a VERY strong word to describe a term paper I wrote 10 years ago! But I did dig deep in the archives for it

3 Likes

Hahaha, that’s true.

I really liked it!

1 Like

Spoilers!

Summary

I enjoyed how they talked about it as a failing of graphic design as well as a food thing!

6 Likes

I liked the episode! Fun listen. I also ended up listening to an interview with Michael and Aubrey on a different podcast and they talked a lot about the use of the word fat versus euphemisms. Still thinking on that.

4 Likes

Link!! Don’t leave me hanging!!

3 Likes

One sec! Searching…

1 Like

The Vocal Fries (podcast name) - Maintenance Baes (episode name)

5 Likes

TY!

2 Likes

Ooh yes enjoying this. I have several other episodes I am looking forward to on this podcast!

2 Likes

Anyone else listening to the bonus episode? I had only heard of the Liver King from hearing him debunked on Food Theory, one of my kids’ favorite YouTubers. Is that how you know you are losing all your cultural relevancy?

I love that they’re so into the skeptical debunking YouTube guy.

4 Likes

Partway through the “workplace wellness” one. I remember when I asked a person running some fitness sessions in January to please change the language on their posters because it was problematic for people with eating disorders and I knew we had a few on our floor. Thought I did the right thing by going to them personally instead of HR and they were SO offended.

Anyway. The way health insurance became an employer benefit step by step in the history was fascinating.

15 Likes