Maintenance Phase Podcast Discussion

I need to listen to this. When I was pregnant I used to drink apple cider vinegar mixed with coconut oil, lime and sriracha over piles of ice. There was no reason except that I craved those things and after trying it, nothing tasted more delicious…

11 Likes

That does sound like a nice salad dressing. Not totally convinced by your claims of being a nice drink, but I’m sure i had some food combinations that were otherwise questionable during pregnancy

7 Likes

I love acid and drinking it. I love water mixed with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and a hint of salt which no one else in my life enjoys haha. I could also drink balsamic vinegar straight from the jar.

The episode was interesting though, I have heard of lots of health claims about it and just search in pinterest “benefits of apple cider vinegar” and wild lists come up. I love how Michael says “the title of this episode should have been ‘dont believe anything you hear in the first 45 minutes’” :rofl:

8 Likes

What a grifter! The list just kept coming! Fun episode. :smiley: And Orlando Bloom and Katy Perry, oh man.

6 Likes

Woah that was a great episode! Haha, I did not see that end coming. I also like acidic vinegary drinks :slight_smile: but these people were like…making some CLAIMS.

9 Likes

I can name every character from Saved by the Bell. Not sure if I feel attacked or seen.

3 Likes

29 minutes in and HERE WE GO cake is a lie

3 Likes

I love how many vinegar lovers are here. My mom used to always keep raspberry vinegar around and growing up I would absolutely drink a shot of it straight every once in a while. So tasty.

This was a fun episode! Would have been interesting to hear them dive into some of the claims behind other uses like hair care too

8 Likes

Listening to apple cider vinegar! Hilarious but not unexpected!

6 Likes

There’s a new one out! Listening now while I fold laundry, it’s about Daily Harvest which I have seen approximately 4.8 million advertisements for so I’m kind of excited because I’ve always wondered about them. They’re the ones who sell like, cups of frozen fruit? And stuff? I think? IDK but algorithms think I am the demo.

8 Likes

I followed the daily harvest drama on the subreddit pretty intensely, so I was very excited.

6 Likes

Ooooh. They advertise to me all the time. I really want to listen to this now.

4 Likes

I’ve tried it! It was very overpriced pre-made smoothie cups. I only got it because I had a code that made it mostly free. It was fine! Nothing to write home about. Definitely listening to the ep!

5 Likes

I listened to this today knowing nothing about this company because they don’t exist in Australia (or if they do, I am not their target clearly).

Stuff at the end that shocked my pants off

The part about not being able to participate in a class action because of clicking “I agree” on the T&Cs that are understood no one actually reads :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

That was thrown in at the end and what the heck! How can that even be?

10 Likes

omg yes

an interesting approach for fighting back:

https://pluralistic.net/2022/02/24/uber-for-arbitration/#nibbled-to-death-by-ducks

2 Likes

That shocked me too!!! Kind of fucking intense for like, a smoothie company, lol.

5 Likes

From Law and Economics class, I learned that binding arbitration (often including ban on class action) is de riguer in T&C’s

The Supreme Court upheld this for employees too!

10 Likes

I feel like they didn’t talk as much about the fact that people are still having symptoms and some people have symptoms not linked to the crumbles, and several people lost their gallbladder and one got out on the liver transplant list.

I really have been following this a lot. They also banned talk of their on their subreddit so victims had to make their own

12 Likes

oh god as a recipient of a meal kit this was a ROUGH listen.

Not that it’s gonna stop me. lol

9 Likes

I just listened to the Daily Harvest episode. I felt immediate relief when the read out the ingredients of the crumbles, and I thought, “oh good, I wouldn’t have ordered that because they include quinoa as an ingredient.”

Quinoa, which I avoid because it causes me stomach pain of horrible intensity. Not that I assume it was the quinoa that caused issues for people with this product but I consider it a possibility given my personal experience! I’ll be very curious to find out what they determine caused the issues for people!

9 Likes