Love is Blind Japan

I’m watching this entirely because of @Meowkins ’ journal. :joy:

The premise is so weird (find meaningful connections! but on reality TV!). So far I’m surprised by how earnest and sweet everyone is and I’m actually really into it.

I wanna hear what other people think. I’m on ep 3!

ETA cc @AllHat @LadyDuck @Meowmalade

4 Likes

reactions to ep 3

Summary

yudai is so serious and sweet. I’m surprised he’s so young! I really love the range of ages here.

I wouldn’t connect with ayano. idk why. she just seems like she’s holding something back and I have a hard time figuring out what she actually wants.

Misaki’s kenya baseball coaching thing is so cool! It must be really hard to date when you’re splitting time between countries.

I love the mutual support that they’re all giving each other - treating it way more like matchmaking than a competition. the little debrief sessions are very sweet.

I love how Midori is so serious! she’s great. I wanna be her friend. A fuckin paper powerpoint slide. Wow.

ryotaro (the harajuku hairdresser?) is so cute. I think it’s so funny that in context he’s like “I look so scary!” and I’m like no. you look like a teddy bear. let me ruffle your silly hair.

wataru and pri speaking english as like a little secret language is really funny. I like Wataru better seeing him with Midori.

awww his breakup talk with pri. :sob: gosh this whole format is so weird and vulnerable! I don’t understand what’s going to happen later in the show - are there gonna be people who don’t pair up at all? I assume so…

also I don’t understand how the pods work exactly, what determines who gets paired? is it the showrunners? they’ve talked about requesting certain people.

omg nana and yudai are so awkward. :laughing: “shouldn’t we follow, like, the system? no! stop! ah! what is happening!” oh goodness I hope they do okay once they meet!

oh poor Eri. :sob: :sob: no I just want to hug you.

okay I’m halfway through this ep and am going to come back to it later.

3 Likes

[details=“Summary”]

Same spoilers

I thought Wataru and Pri had a lot more chemistry than he and Midori did! I was kind of mystified at what Midori was attracted to with him? I’m suspicious of him I think because it seems like he kind of sat back and let her do all the driving but idk.

And yeah with Nana and Yudai, so awkward. I said it on Meowkin’s journal too but I feel like there is something super off with Nana. Right? Like…super weird vibes…I get the sense she just wants to be MARRIED and the person is kind of like, less relevant to her. Like any applicant will due. And Yudai seems way too immature to understand any of that, lol. [/details]

3 Likes
Summary

yep I feel similarly about Wataru as I do with Ayano - they were both holding back. Wataru more so though.

At least I feel like Wataru took Midori seriously - like, it felt more like he met her where she was at? On a very intellectual view of matchmaking, lol.

Yeah, Nana’s conversations were the most…impersonal? Like, if you asked her why she liked Yudai, would she have anything to say about him or just about how he gave her butterflies?

OK I need to go eat lunch but I’m enjoying this so much!

4 Likes

Very here for this

2 Likes

I have so so many opinions about that show. I’m near the end and I hate most people because they keep breaking my heart. And some I hate because they are terrible.

3 Likes
Ep. 4

Ok, I love Wataru now. The way he counsels some of the other guys is so sweet and wise. Also Priya and the restauranteur guy seem very well suited to each other, they even look like a couple.

1 Like
Summary

Omg lol this felt so cringey to me! I loved when Midori called him out on it like “I think it’s funny that he uses English to be cool.”

3 Likes

Posting as a place holder but I’m only part way into ep 2 and I’m not sure Latte will nap today :weary:

4 Likes

I love people’s faces in response to “I never enter the kitchen, ever” guy.

5 Likes

My favorite couple so far is

Summary

The ballet dancer and the comedian!

2 Likes

Yes! I’m glad the woman who liked to cook figured out that was his main interest in her. I encountered that in the wild too, with cooking and ballet, so I’m v glad she didn’t waste her time!

7 Likes

Such a contrast from the guy who was like “I don’t cook but I will wash dishes and do laundry!”

4 Likes

Agreed! That’s how my husband is. And I mean, the kitchen is my sanctuary and I would feel disrespected if he honed in on my territory, so I know what the old school guy was saying. Like that is a type of person, haha, my type to a degree. But having to do absolutely everything around the house just because I’m a woman? No. DH does all of the cleaning, like dishes and house cleaning (floors, bathrooms, etc.). He did make the grave error of reorganizing my pantry. Once. We do not speak of that day.

6 Likes

It’s kinda crazy to be watching and just have people drop into unaccented English. It takes my brain a second to be like “where did the subtitles go?” :laughing: or maybe I’m too tired while watching this.

5 Likes

Me too! Like I can’t imagine speaking a second language so well!

3 Likes

Ok, the funniest thing about LIB Japan might be that in Japan having Guy Fieri hair is considered extremely dangerous and edgy looking.

5 Likes

Right? Like I saw the guys who sing “I’m blue” the other day on my kids playlist and it was such a 2000s blast from the past

3 Likes

Yeah I wasn’t surprised by the guy asking about his tattoos, but the guy fieri hair being scary caught me off guard :joy:

3 Likes

3 Likes