Job Hunting Support Group

I’m going to officially join this group. I got a yearly review today that I totally don’t agree with and it’s sort of the last straw. I mean I got meets expectations but the things that were said I can improve on were things I did. My manager sucks.

I have been casually looking for a new job for about a year and had one offer but ended up figuring out that the hours were just not going to work. Here’s to finding something that works in 2024!

13 Likes

Where is everyone looking for job postings these days? All of the websites feel really overwhelming.

5 Likes

Yeahhhhhh. Agreed. Indeed, LinkedIn, and word of mouth so far. I’m also looking at government jobs and those have their own sites

3 Likes

I’m looking on Seek and also major employers for my profession on their careers pages. I will be looking again starting next week.

3 Likes

The universe is telling me that Q1/2 of this year are the best time to look for a new job, if I really want to do that before having a second baby. I am nervous but I think having the deadline of End of June or Else is a good thing. Put some pressure on this cooker, so to speak.

8 Likes

I’m meeting the CTO on Wednesday, but I actually like my job this week

7 Likes

Now I have some search terms sorted, I am finding jobs! I have 2 to submit to on Monday. I am looking for any of 3 different flavour of jobs but they’re all the same genre of job.

9 Likes

I have not acquired a new job but I was able to negotiate to move to an office quite a bit closer to my home! I think I’m going to pause my job search because other than the commute I’m pretty satisfied with my work, so counting this as a win.

12 Likes

That’s awesome! A shorter commute is a huge quality of life win :muscle:

2 Likes

Apparently job applications have changed since I last had a job. Bones creak

angst

Oh god. Between AI and keyword screening i am never going to get a job again. I have fucked my chances of working by taking a break.

Fuuuuuuckkkkk

Ok anyway im going to make a phone call to the business I’m applying to and hope they find that endearing instead of a nuisance because WHO KNOWS anymore and then send in my application.

9 Likes

It is not my job to make the company’s hiring decision for them (by not submitting my stuff).

It is my job to give them the opportunity to hire me.

12 Likes

why are you planning to phone first? it’s a different region and industry, but I can’t think of any job where there was a central phone number, your best bet was a central email address and hoping someone looked at it more than once a quarter.

if there were real questions, the best option was linkedin tbh

3 Likes

I have no idea who I’d contact on linked in? The idea of calling was to see if I could be remembered instead of my CV being auto-ditched for not containing the correct keywords. And calling rather than email because I figured I’d be more likely to talk to someone than email also being ignored. I barely keep my linked In updated so i dont know why others would be easy to find there?

Linked in is an absolute minefield for me. Phone call is something I’m familiar with.

I have many messages on LI i have never responded to, because I finally saw them months after they were sent.

The company is <300 people and has a customer service phone number, which is what I called.

I am really, really struggling with the social rules around applying to jobs as it is and if theyve changed I am worried I won’t understand the new ones.

I CAN just send my CV & cover letter, I just thought it would be the nice personable equivalent of popping in to the front desk and saying hi?

4 Likes

So also context, i asked my friend in same industry some questions about this ad and she was like “well maybe you should send in a video because its all changed in the last 2 years and now everyone writes their CVs and cover letters with AI and if you dont hit the right keywords HR ditches your CV before its ever seen by a human”.

Which has caused me much panic. Because she spent 6 years (at least) trying to get a new job while working, and here I am 5 years out of work trying to get a job. I cant spend 6 years to get a job, and while I will go back to old employer if this doesnt pan out I dont want to stay there long term.

5 Likes

some people use AI to write their cover letters. Some places use automated systems that are seeking for specific keywords. Not all.

I would focus on the things you can control, and limit exposure to the negative spirals about how things are now. In my industry, that is tweaking resumes until you start getting screening calls, and updating LinkedIn. It does not include making videos if the company didn’t request them and the job isn’t a comms position (personally I wouldn’t want to work for a place where they rewarded me for making a video resume, so I guess it’s a form of self selecting on my part).

The hiring managers don’t know that your LinkedIn page only got updated two weeks ago. You could look to see what the pages look like of people who have the type of job you have, then copy that style. Luckily it’s easier to copy LinkedIn than resumes and cover letters.

7 Likes

I submitted my application. That was exhausting. The 5 year gap on my resume isnt promising but I think I wrote the letter pretty well.

Thanks for the points about linked in and such PBK. I really dont understand it so i should probably spend some time understanding how it works.

12 Likes

My SIL got a job in her desired role (product manager) after 7 years out of the workforce for her girls. A little less money than she hoped but the exact right career path. No videos that I know of. Networking though. You can do it!

4 Likes

In my industry, LinkedIn is seen as equivalent or more useful than a resume. As a hiring manager I would often skim a resume, then double-check that on LinkedIn (there’s more space to go into detail).

LI also seems to be a place where people can build up their professional voice a bit by reposting or commenting on articles with some commentary, writing new mid or longer length posts, etc.

One thing that I’ve seen be successful is for job seekers to write a short, conversational post announcing that they’re open to new roles. Then all your acquaintances/contacts would see it, and might tag job opportunities or hiring managers or just otherwise keep you in mind.

I don’t know much about your field of work, but I know you’re a kind and creative person who can write sentences, make plans, and follow through. Also, your PhD time is not a resume gap – it’s postgrad education! I mean, they would all be lucky to have you! Good luck.

6 Likes

I added you! We can network!

4 Likes

Yay we’re networking. At least I assume that is how networking works? Now we wait for the job offers to come.

5 Likes