Job Hunting Support Group

FWIW, I do think most people get it. All of us want the option to be able to conduct surreptitious job searches in the future; it behooves us all to make a culture where that’s possible.

3 Likes

If they have a close personal relationship then I’d absolutely assume she would mention it to her.

1 Like

but also in the ‘fyi but don’t do anything with this info’

1 Like

Maybe one to sleep on. Haven’t reached out to the manager yet. There are other people I could ask for references in a pinch, just wouldn’t be able to talk about my work in as much depth. Fwiw the manager was always very happy with my work.

Alternative is more networking and freelancing to get more connections. Which I should be doing anyway, it just takes longer.

4 Likes

I think I’m gonna try to get a Federal job! There is one interesting opening with a not-terrible salary floor that closes on 12/22. I think I can get things together by then.

They seem good for work-life balance, I can filter for some remote work, and good benefits…

11 Likes

Do you want USA Jobs tips?

2 Likes

Heck yeah! Some context: I have a lot of writing/editing, publishing, and UX experience but no coding knowledge :frowning: (yet!). I also have my MLIS, fairly recently, but no actual library experience (thanks pandemic during my internship summer!).

4 Likes

OK - good luck! Warning - this will be a brain dump that’s not super organized.

• Use the resume builder to create your resume and save it for future jobs, but edit it to tailor it to specific job apps.

• You have to prove that you meet the job description and qualifications in a way that you don’t have to with private industry. This is key. Connect the dots between your experience and the key phrases in the requirements.

• All of the normal resume rules (1-2 pages max; not putting job duties and only including accomplishments) go out the window! Include all duties that show you meet the job description. List as many jobs that show relevant experience as you can.

• Attach all required documents!

• Grade yourself super high on any self-assessment questions. These are less common than they used to be, but you basically have to rate yourself as expert for any questions to be considered. Mediocre middle-aged white men have no problem doing this - don’t sell yourself short!

Even more than in the private industry, feds have rules about posting jobs for competition, so don’t be surprised if it takes quite a few tries to make traction. If you see an opening of 1 week, that generally means they have a candidate in mind OR they are expecting tons of candidates.

10 Likes

Oh dang!! :eyes:

Thank you for this!!!

1 Like

It doesn’t mean don’t apply though! Just temper expectations a bit.

1 Like

Oh my expectations are like rock bottom haha. Especially around the holidays

1 Like

Oh man, this job (with a company that does state/federal contracts) seems great for that skill set but it’s only a 5 month contract. Job Application for Plain language copy editor and content strategist (5-month term role) at Bloom Works

1 Like

Dangit!!

1 Like

Hm, it does have benefits etc for the duration of the term. This team is pretty well connected across the public sector and other vendors so if similar permanent jobs are to be had in this realm, I bet they can help land one. If you’re at all curious and could handle the uncertainty, it could be a worth a reach-out. I know the founders from a past professional life and they are great people; PM if you would like an intro.

For the federal job application, have you come across this guide to government-style resumes yet? Preparing your resume | Join the Technology Transformation Services

2 Likes

I haven’t, no! I’m not sure I can handle the uncertainty at this stage, but thank you so much for the offer to connect me!

2 Likes

Shit I found a job I really need to apply to and my resume is a mess.

8 Likes

I revamped my resume (which isn’t perfect but was in way better shape than I remembered) and applied for two jobs!

And now I’m kind of freaking out

10 Likes

lol
Welcome! Getting the resume updated opens many doors! Even if you’re not emotionally ready to go through them!

1 Like

Put in an application for an admin job at a big local employer (been operating 50+ years type thing). It’s out there in the universe!

8 Likes

I got a phone interview for one of the jobs I applied for!

Kinda freaking out again

16 Likes