Job Hunting Support Group

Phew. I did it! New job got, starting in January! Longer update here: :smile:

https://forum.ohmydollar.com/t/iualia-is-buried-in-craft-supplies/4902/1254?u=iualia

Sending good vibes to everyone who’s still looking or getting ready to search :sparkling_heart:

17 Likes

Our first graduate :face_holding_back_tears: :mortar_board:

9 Likes

lucky clover cat for more graduation luck!

11 Likes

This is so tumblr 2010 of you I love it

5 Likes

I am guilty as charged.

3 Likes

Challenge accepted, Noodle! Put in an application for a somewhat long-shot but cool and lucrative job last night.

4 Likes

Heck yeah cube! Shooters shoot!

1 Like

I found a library job at DH’s University to apply for. The role is Program Evaluator. I am not sure exactly a) what that is or b) if I am interested in that. I am going to research tonight and if it is even remotely interesting, I’ll apply.

7 Likes

Ugh. No. The description is reminding me of my least favorite MLIS course. I think I gotta pass on this one.

7 Likes

That sounds sensible!

An acquaintance posted about a job at their partners employer. It looks like a tech company who wants an environmental professional, so I’m going to apply just for the practice. The job is remote but says “some travel required” which i have no intention of doing. I expect to get rejected. So maybe shouldn’t waste energy on it? Eh.

3 Likes

Sometimes is good just to do low level practice. I say it is a K vs R strategy. Some things we invest energy into. Some things we just throw over the fence because worst outcome is we get more interviewing practice.

But if even low level energy expenditures take away from needed activity it isn’t worth it

7 Likes

Got a standard rejection email from Stretch Job. Then found out, even though/probably because it’s an arts nonprofit (I know, I know) they’re declining to take a stance on Israel/Palastine, so they’re being put on blast by the poetry community rn. Maybe for the best that didn’t work out?

9 Likes

I got a rejection email last week.

Next steps:
Send an email thanking old managers for having coffee with me. I meant to do this a couple weeks ago, but better that it does happen eventually!

Sign up for job boards. There’s a few that various branches of gov’t post on regularly, so I’ll make a list of those and get my basic details up and check them once a week. I’ll probably find them & make a list next week, and sign up after my next craft market because i need prep time.

Last, over the holidays I’ll work out what boundaries i need on type & time spent on work and then talk to old managers about the casual work they offered.

10 Likes

Sorry about the rejection. But you have an excellent plan forward.

3 Likes

Hi all, jobseeker jumping in! (Thanks for the link @noodle)

It’s been a year plus of on-again, off-again searching. I started while in my marketing job for a tech company in Vietnam. No luck with that search, so I leapt and returned to the US. But it’s been challenging here too! Right now, I’m working minimum wage and actively applying again.

Life is a highway, and I’m at a career crossroads. On that highway.

First, my background is a little wonky. (Linguistics B.A., currently not fluent in anything → audiobooks → nonprofit → ESL teaching → marketing – with temp / gig / freelance / 1 semester grad school in the gaps). Never had my mind set on a career besides “being a writer,” so the resume is a little unfocused. That said, there are some threads in there that I can play up for an application.

Second, I would like to work abroad again. Is this realistic - maybe not, but giving it a shot anyway.

Third, not to be gauche but it would be nice to increase my income.

My most likely next role will be in marketing, picking up where I left off. If it’s in the US, I’d like remote work. My location is not ideal for finding in-person jobs.

I’m doing a teeny bit of freelance writing on the side. Gotta beef up the portfolio!

Besides that, I’m almost finished with a technical writing certification. Hoping that it will help in the job search a bit.

My target timeline to find new work is ASAP. I’ll be working hard on apps and reporting in. Let’s do this!

4 Likes

Saw this and want to read it tomorrow.

12 Likes

Yessss this! All of this

3 Likes

Anyone have advice on reference management?

My best reference is Past Manager, who still works for a previous employer, TechCo. I have ongoing freelance work with BeautyCo, of which Ex-Boss from TechCo is an investor. (Ex-Boss left TechCo a while ago.)

Ex-Boss has a “maybe-someday” job for me with BeautyCo. I don’t 100% trust that offer and am applying for other jobs. I know she’s also trying to poach Past Manager.

BUT if I list Past Manager as a reference in my current job search, will she tip off Ex-Boss? They have a very close personal relationship.

Not sure how to balance needing the reference vs. not wanting to destroy the BeautyCo option before I have to.

2 Likes

I would use Past Manager, and explicitly ask them to keep your search private unless/until you are ready to share any info with others. This is tough. Hopefully they will be respectful and understanding!

3 Likes

Hopefully she gets it! I’ll try reaching out :slight_smile:

3 Likes