It's Nice Out Here

Hello,

I have a 30 mins per day outdoors NY resolution for 2022. This applies to me, since it helps me regulate, but also really helps in that my kiddo will get out for all the days daycare is closed (many of them).

I actually love being outdoors but hate the momentum it requires for me and generally entertaining a toddler amongst Constant Danger. So, I need a place to celebrate my wins. I would love to also be inspired by yours.

9 Likes

I left the phone in my car for 1/1, but we went on a hike in Southern New Hampshire, it was lovely. And rainy. And muddy.

Meowlet was determined to find lily pads, even though I told him it was unlikely. I tried to convince him some overgrown weed we found in a field was a baby lilypad, but he was not deceived. We also found clovers and fluffy moss and deer poops. No lily pads. But it was fun!

For 1/2, we wrapped his favorite stuffed animal in a scarf for warmth and went for a walk around the park in his stroller. Wherever he pointed, I went. He got off for the gazebo and the playground. A successful hour.

10 Likes

Legit question- we’re having an easier time being outside (a lot fewer barriers then you face). Would this be a good place for me to share our wins as well, or would it be disheartening? Totally fair either way, I know the “easily hitting 2000 hours” farm and outdoor school families can stress me out a bit.

4 Likes

I need to parent myself in this way.

8 Likes

Sure!! No worries

3 Likes

Ha, I saw this just as I was trying to psych myself up for walking to the mailbox and back to drop off an order, probably 15 minutes round trip. Because it’s {checks} 28 with a windchill of 19 and it just snowed.

I’m gonna do it though!

3 Likes

To start with, I’m bummed. We usually do a New Year’s Day hike, to start the year off right. But it’s cold AF here (for us) right now, and Latte tops out at like 15-30 min outside before her hands are cold enough it makes her cry. And my ILs wanted to visit. So for the first time in like 7 years, I had ZERO outdoor time on New Year’s Day :cry:

5 Likes

@PDM has helpfully and absolutely not dickishly informed me of my typo above. I mean 30 mins a day, not 30 mins total in 2022 :wink:

6 Likes

Is he already breaking his NY resolutions? :joy:

7 Likes

Opposite season here. We spend a lot of time in front of the tv. I’m trying to make myself comfortable with the idea that I can handle my kids without the tv on and the world won’t collapse. I have spent the last 3 years setting up a comfortable outdoor area and I have been luring the big kid outside with a while bucket of water to himself for “experiments”. So far nothing bad has happened.

5 Likes

Was I not clear that it only applies to food, beer and coffee???

5 Likes

My mistake :joy:

5 Likes

Yay outside! We have much nicer weather here but when it rains I hate going outside so I will post if/when that happens (luckily clear skies for the next week).

We’ve been spending a lot of time on the patio with the mud kitchen my dad made for Christmas. Pipsqueak doesn’t want to leave the patio anymore to go rock/leaf hunting so I guess it was a winner gift!!

2 Likes

And I had the decency to make fun of the mistake in a private message. And then got public shamed.

I ask you who is really the monster here? Who?

9 Likes

All of us, without a doubt.

ETA and back on to the topic at hand lol. No outside time today either :weary: I can do below feeezinf and dry. I can do above 50 and raining. But like, 32-45F and rainy is my misery band.

6 Likes

Nooo! Stop it, weather :frowning:

2 Likes

Hahaha I just got a massive tantrum simply for offering “we’ll put sunscreen on in 5 minutes and go outside.” Well then. I guess we’ll go out after I’ve dealt with nap instead.

3 Likes

Oh hey. I love being outside. I am here to cheer everyone on.

I had a snowball fight today and helped build a snow obelisk (snowbelisk?).

4 Likes

We went outside. I almost died. Temp and snow were nice. I think kid was too sick too. But less ded than me

7 Likes

We tried playing outside on the patio this morning but there were tantrums over the broom and fistfuls of dirt getting shoved in the mouth so I pivoted to a stroller walk around the neighborhood. Seemed to go over well thankfully, and we steered clear enough of the park that there were no melt downs about needing to go on the swings (which are frequently occupied).

4 Likes