Introduce Yourself Here

Hi! Your life sounds wonderful!

1 Like

When you are moving to b’ham let me know – my phd advisor has retired up there and I’m sure he’d love to meet you. He’s an anthropologist but in recent years has developed a strong environmental bent. He also is a major hiker.

I also have another friend from grad school who is on the faculty there, if you want to meet more people.

1 Like

Hiya! I’m from the sagebrush side of WA and moved to Minnesota from Bellingham :slight_smile:

Hi there ! I am Caribee :blush:
Long time reader of the MMM forum but too intimidated - by the huge crowd - to post. This new forum seems like a great opportunity to finally start to talk :ok_hand:t5:

I live in Paris, France. Grew up in Guadeloupe (in the caribean).

I am an entrepreneur (left my corporate job almost 5 years ago).

For me its more about living a great live (and not fall in the trap of needing more and more money to be happy) than it is about FIRE.

I loove a good life : i am an hedonist :woman_shrugging:t5:

Good food, good work, good play, nature, art, good sex… you get the gist. I am just in love with life ! :slight_smile:

What else ? Oh I just turned 30 (This is very exciting) and I have been happily in love for 13 years.

So glad to be here ! :blush:

12 Likes

Hi @JanetJackson
That’s lovely !

As somesone who grew up in poverty myself I hear you.

Funnily enough I worked so hard on my insecurities around money and my compulsive need to pile it up that for a while I when fully to the other side (living without a safety net at all !)

I’m currently working on rebalancing it all but I am soo glad I did this work.

Its freeing.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Yay, hello!

Hi all,

I’m Frank and am known as “Exflyboy” on the MMM forum. I’m retired and live in Corvallis Or. OMD was recommended to me this weekend so I thought I’d swing by.

I emigrated to the US in '96 to work as a systems engineer for HP. I started saving all I could and retired from HP in 2012, then worked for Intel in Hillsboro for 19 months to get a major project up and running. So Jan 2014 I was done with grown up jobs…:slight_smile:

We have an elderly horse on our farmette, a rambunctious cat that adopted me as he was wandering through my yard one day as a kitten and a couple of rentals next door to our house.

I built two airplanes since I moved to the US and sold the last one in 2013 as the $$ were much better off in my retirement accounts.

I do my best to help folks with saving/investing and always show up at their house in my 1999 Dodge Neon that I paid $350 for… To make the point…:wink:

I look forward to meeting more like minded people locally.

15 Likes

Hi, Frank!

I know more than a couple people (old college buddies in Idaho) that retired after working for HP. Good on ya!

Dodge Neons have a very special place in my heart. They had a brilliant advertising campaign when they first debuted, and my years long socially awkward party-conversation-starter about it led to my son’s dad buying (i.e. negotiating a wickedly good deal) for me as a total surprise one day when our beloved '79 Chevy Malibu station wagon started rusting out everywhere in the salt flats of Minnesota roads. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay you made it over! Welcome welcome.

I did!.. Thankyou for the recommendation… I like the (less in your face) vibe here…:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ahh yes… I am very fond of Dodge Neons… This is my second one which I rebuilt (engine, manual transmission, painted the front half of the car…) I learned to paint my airplane so now I can paint cars to showroom condition too.

I rebuilt the car in order to travel to my job in Hillsboro from Corvallis which was 80 miles one way. Now I don’t have the job but still have the car. My problem is is I now effectively have a car with 30,000 miles on it but almost never drive it because well… we’re retired and drive our newer Chevvy Cruze almost exclusively.

So one day I really should sell the Neon (twin cam sport model, 2 door). But its so CUTE and of course I spent a lot of time rebuilding it. Its also virtually zero cost to keep it.

I’m conflicted what can I say?..:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi fr(ankh)! I don’t think I’ve ever seen the details of your work past before. So I learned something new.

It’s hard to get rid of something you’ve put a lot of time and work into. You will know when it’s time to pass the Neon to another.

3 Likes

Hi!

I’m excited to learn more about your animals.

Hehe,

Well the horse is 30 years old and not ride-able anymore. DW is quite the horse woman and I had bought this horse property before I met her… So it worked out…:slight_smile:

The cat is named “Derek”… Short for Derek Zoolander ad he literally works it baby… He is the cutest cat but you point a camera at him and he does “The look”…:slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’ve been posting here for a while but forgot to post in this thread. I’m David, posted for a long time on the MMM forums and still post there occasionally. I changed my screen name approximately 6,000 times but my original one was thegoblinchief.

For people who have read @anomalily book, the cartoon version of me holding rabbits is on one of the pages.

I am a stay at home dad with a hobby urban farm but spend most of my time homeschooling my kids. This year they’re attending an online virtual school which has lessened my workload a little but forced us to all get used to deadlines, which has required some adjusting.

Most of our yard is in garden space. We also raise chickens for eggs and rabbits for meat.

6 Likes

I’ve also been posting here for a few days, and didn’t see this thread! I mostly read, and sometimes posted on MMM forums, but recently learned about this community, so thought I would hop over and join. I love everything I’ve been reading here so far, and feel like this community is more aligned with my life. I live in rural Colorado, in a tiny little town in a valley surrounded by mountains. I work at a bike shop as the buyer, but also do a lot of work on the retail side of things as well. I have my own little dog sitting business on the side, which has grown substantially over the past few years and has been hugely helpful in growing my income.

Last year I dealt with some big health problems (injury related) and after lots of PT, injections, etc ended up having two big surgeries within 2 months of each other. This was super expensive and painful, but I am so grateful for the frugal concepts I have been learning over the past few years and was able to pay off the $10k of medical bills in less than a year. It was a tough year not only financially, but also because I was torn away from the hobbies I love (mountain biking, hiking, skiing) and had a bit of a crisis of identity. I grew a lot over the year though, learned to love myself outside of my abilities as an athlete, and feel stronger as a person, even without my soul filling mountain bike adventures.

Anyway, I should really get my own journal instead of rambling on here…but this year I’m looking forward to finding a bit of my athletic side again (if PT says ok), building my savings back up, and hopefully making a move to the desert in Arizona, to escape from the cold winters. I so dearly love Colorado, but I think I need a bit of a break from the cold, and also searching for a place that is not such a HCOL so I can put some roots down for a while.

11 Likes

Hi!
I’m mialao. I’ve been mostly lurking over at the MMM Forum and found my way over here.

I am from Germany, so I apologize in advance for using weird expressions or not getting the US measures with feet and ounces, let alone degrees Fahrenheit. Can’t wrap my head around that.

I’d love to get more active in conversations as I like the croud here lots. And to share pics of the two felines that kindly share their habitation space with me.

13 Likes

Lots of non-US people here and I think one other German, you will be joined in confusion at our archaic an illogical measurement system.

Willkommen!

4 Likes

Hello everyone. It feels great to be here.

8 Likes

Hi, I’ve also been lurking over at MMM and found my way over here and love the vibe of the conversations I’ve been reading, if that makes sense. I’ve been living in Australia for many years, originally from New Zealand. I retired a couple of years ago - not early retirement by any means - I worked in IT for a long time. I discover the world of FIRE just before retirement! I live with my husband, two adult children and our dog.

13 Likes