Introduce Yourself Here

Welcome, there are a few Aussies around. We tend to have the run of the place while the Americans sleep.

7 Likes

Welcome @Yarrakiwi ! We have badges in these parts and special nationality/location badges- would you like an Aussie or Kiwi badge to welcome you in?

Glad to have you!

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome and yay - badges!

Thats actually a tough question for me :grinning:. Without wanting to be disloyal to Australia. I think I’d like a NZ badge - in solidarity with NZ given the recent terrible events in Christchurch and the (mostly) great response from NZ’ers

2 Likes

Hello, I’m Kenner, courtesy of a random name generator on another platform some number of years ago. Currently sharing a condo with a cat in a mid-size, medium COL city in northern Colorado and getting paid by a megacorp to make sure 1s and 0s cooperate (computer/electrical engineering).

When I’m not working I do STEM outreach and volunteer with people coming out of extreme poverty/homelessness (for which I appreciate this site—I came over from MMM, but it would never be appropriate for me to suggest any site that advertises ‘facepunches’ even if someone is looking for financial advice/community). In my spare time I read, do a couple different forms of 3D art, and enjoy flinging myself down mountains attached to a variety of devices. No partner and no desire to have one except that it sometimes gets annoying to be the odd numbered wheel.

As of now I’m fortunate enough to have a job that I both like and that makes meeting current needs/wants fairly easy, but being at a mini site of a megacorp always carries the threat of restructuring and personnel transfers to larger sites. Since I have no interest in relocating to the Bay area, my goal is to get myself set up to stay where I am regardless of future employment status. By my calculations I could manage now if I trimmed my budget, but I’ve got about two more years before I’m where I’d really like to be.

Obligatory cat picture as cat attempts to headbutt computer out of the way:

17 Likes

Hi @kenner! That there is a good cat. Welcome!

1 Like

I very much hope you’ll make the visit to the “Share your pets” thread often with that little pink nosed beauty! Welcome!

1 Like

Saw sweet kitty. Welcome

Welcome! Bless you for sharing that cat picture :heart_eyes_cat:

I’ve been mostly lurking over at MMM, first without an account for years and more recently under the same username (she/her). I found out about OMD through the MMM forums and appreciate the less judgmental vibe here. I also read the Billfold for a few years but gave up when they switched to Medium.

My household consists of husband, Adult Cat, and three kittens.

Hobbies include running, knitting, reading, thrifting and hammocking. Except now that we have three kittens my new hobby is mostly pulling kittens down from the curtains. I was thinking about starting a journal to track house stuff since I recently became a first time homeowner but realistically it would mostly be pictures of my cats.

15 Likes

Hi kittens!!!

Hello! I, uh, forgot to introduce myself! I am letired! I’m also an MMM forum person! I live in central texas with a roommate, my cat with sort of expensive heart problems, and almost but not enough plants. I’m pursuing FIRE via a career transition a few years ago from ecology into software engineering, which I am almost continually surprise to find is somehow working out. I like plants, gardening, fostering pregnant cats (tho not right now), too many projects, trying every craft, Too Online internet/tumblr memes, and killing those $5 grocery store orchids. I’m also fannish, but, uh, it feels weird to cross the internet streams quite that much.

Plz enjoy this baby:

12 Likes

If you’re fannish, check out the multifandom fanfic rec thread. :wink:

1 Like

Welcome, letired and daffodil2001!

I know that cat! And that bedspread!

3 Likes

Yes, please start a journal. I am interested in house stuff and kittens. Mostly kittens.

Well, have a nap.

ZEN FIRE ZE MISSAILES

8 Likes

This is also a hobby of mine!

3 Likes

I would like to subscribe to this newsletter. Welcome over here!

3 Likes

Let’s be honest, those of us with kittens and doggos mostly just (want to) talk about kittens and doggos. :wink:

6 Likes

Guilty as charged. I promise I’m interested in personal finance too but kitties are so much cuter than spreadsheets.

5 Likes

OOPS this was supposed to be @letired :joy::joy::joy:

I have a grocery store (phalaenopsis) orchid that I finally after two (three?) years have gotten to (start to) send up another flower stalk! It’s a miracle! @tardis is the orchid expert around here. :wink:

I’m curious about your transition (maybe to chat about in future, not right this second lol)… I am (was) a spatial data analyst in the environmental field who exhaustion quit 4 months ago, and they had me (wanted me) to do more and more programming stuff, but I found it really tiring to try to balance with my actual billable work (which of course they prioritized), and I was unmotivated (mostly too tired) to work on it on my own time. I need to decide what to do moving forward (if that means going back to work or what).

Also: KITTEN

3 Likes