Introduce Yourself Here

Hello @jmac! :smiley: Welcome!

2 Likes

Hello, everyone! I’m Crow. I should find a picture of a crow to pop in here.

I’ve never had a budget, but I track money inflows and outflows almost obsessively. I like pretty charts and graphs, but I’m still learning how to make them so.

I’m early-retired. While I enjoy gardening, crocheting, and spending time on/in the water, the reality is I spend most of my time on my couch.

10 Likes

Whoa! Yet another of us WNYers.

Hellooo, I’m Greyweld (she/her), MMM migrant, bi lady, software engineer, formerly interested in getting to FIRE as fast as humanly possible and lately more interested in building up a bunch of money and then coasting on part-time while training for a new career.

Engaged to Greyman, who I’ve been dating since high school and living with since college.

Woefully no furry friends. This will eventually change, but between my job, Greyman’s job, and full evenings of rock climbing, d&d, and board games with friends, I think they would be lonely.

6 Likes

Hi I’m CalBal, another MMM refugee. The cranky forum over there drives me nuts (I could neither read nor post yesterday, AT ALL), and I have been meaning to migrate over here for a while. Also, I miss my friends from over there who have mostly moved over here. :wink:

I’m early 40s (Gen X) single gal (now) with a super senior Doggo and two kittens who are no longer kittens but I still call them kittens (and will probably forever). I found MMM about a year and a half ago. I have always been pretty thrifty with money, although perhaps as not as much as I could have been (if I have found MMM a few years earlier I would be done now!) I am currently on “sabbatical” from my super stressful job, and although they think it is only a leave of absence I am almost certainly not going back. Problem is, I am not FIRE yet, maybe Barista FIRE though. I have a lot of guilt about that because I was making Good Money (really) for what I do and I’ll likely never find that again. The other problem is that I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up. :stuck_out_tongue: I live in the intermountain west US in a MCOL area (ish), though the specific area I live in is more HCOL than MCOL in terms of real estate. This is both good and bad, as I own a cute almost-100-year-old house in a good area. I am considering moving Back East to be closer to the rest of my immediate family (maybe TN or NC, but in a liberal area or college town, and also I am not from the south though family lives there now so I don’t know…) Problem is that I don’t think Doggo would survive the stress of such a move. So in the meantime I wait, and complain about various things, and wish someone would make some decisions for me because being an adult is hard and I don’t wanna.

I mostly post about food and gardening and my furry children and occasional DIYs in between the complaining, anxiety, and existential angst.

16 Likes

CALBAL CALBAL CALBAL

You are one of the people I was hoping would also pop up over here. :3

5 Likes

Hi! I mainly lurked on the MMM forums but decided to follow my fellow Aussies over here. It looks nicer here so I’m going to try to comment and get involved a bit more. I work in science for the government so while my paycheck is not amazing, it allows me quite a good work life balance, letting me pursue my hobbies such as roller derby, cycling, eating and reading, maybe not in that order. I live in Australia with my DH and a newly adopted kitty who has already stolen our hearts. I’m definitely here for all the cat pics. :heart_eyes_cat:

9 Likes

Welcome! There are a non-insignificant # of roller derby peeps over in these parts! Also, according to google analytics, 10% of our page views come from Australia.

4 Likes

Also see: my recent observation that this forum skews queer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Hi, I’m Asher. I found the podcast through it’s theme song by @aaronpk since he is involved in the Indieweb community and I went to the summit here in Los Angeles a few years ago now.

I am a recent college grad and just got my first big job (hired last Friday). Which is a sort of windfall, so I’m trying to get my financial systems and priorities together to make things easier in the future! (mid-20s, single, bi, enby)

8 Likes

Umm, that is awesome. I love to know that someone found us through Aaron’s theme song.

There’s at least 2 other indieweb folx here! I won’t tag them in case they want to stay under the radar. But we’re so happy to have you @asher !

3 Likes

Congratulations! And what a wonderful time to dig down into the personal finance stuff. :+1:

3 Likes

This forum might be almost as queer as my tumblr dash, and that, my friend, is saying sumthin.

5 Likes

:rainbow: :heart: :rainbow:

2 Likes

I’m Laura, I have been listening for Oh My Dollar for probably 2 years now. I’m single, early thirties, living in Portland, Or. I own a wonderful little house that I love, but has a big mortgage. Friend who has been renting a room in my place is about to move out and I am going to try to make it without a renter for awhile. I’ve got to tighten um my frugal game if I’m gonna make it work.

13 Likes

Hey fellow portlander! :slight_smile: and welcome. Yeah, a mortgage around here tends to be big! We moved back recently and have been renting, I’m gun shy!

1 Like

:wave:

Fellow early 30s Portlander with a mortgage! Best of luck with the no-roommate life.

2 Likes

:wave:t3:HI!
I’m JJ.
I’m here mostly from the MMM forums, and the Podcast.
I’m a recovering over-optimizer who was making myself very very miserable for a very very long time trying to “keep up” (catch up?) with higher income folks and constantly comparing. Comparison really is the thief of joy.

I worked 7 days per week for years and year, took only a few days off per year, and by most standards have still been considered ‘low income’.
All done with that.
I’ve dropped down to two jobs, about 40 hours per week, focusing the most on my small business (which is one of the two jobs) and getting it safely off the ground.
It’s a dog walking business and many people don’t consider it a “real job” (:::eyerolls:::) but it’s inching toward providing 50% of my income, and when it gets closer to 75% I’ll jump ship.

I grew up in poverty and it shapes my views more than I’d like it to (hellooooo excessively large EF in cash), but I’m growing a lot this year as I learn to relax more, search for a more meaningful life, and downshift my already ‘low income’ to support a life that’s not always optimized, but makes me smile more.
<3

Glad to be here, thanks for having me y’all!

17 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Wild Botanist (Lichen over at the MMM forums, Jen in real life). It’s lovely to see so many familiar faces as well as potential new friends!

I’m in a non-traditional marriage and we are building a non-traditional life. I live with my full time artist spouse, Morrigan, and two teen boys in the often forgotten half of WA. I’m in my 40s and in college when traditionally I should be emptying the nest, but nothing can stop me!

Mo is a freelance artist and I mainly bring in sweet, sweet grant and scholarship funds with a bit of freelance editing income sprinkled on top. We’re just under the poverty line but going strong. We’re working at selling off our current home, pulling up roots, and traveling over the Cascades for me to finish school (Mo can work from anywhere). After school, the goal is to find a home base + a home on wheels, and spend 6 months of the year as a traveling artist & field biologist (we go where I find seasonal employment), and 6 months in semi retirement on the OlyPen. That should take us into our late 50s, 60s or even beyond, where we will have hopefully arranged for a full but minimal-income-necessary lifestyle, just in case we decide/have to retire completely.

15 Likes