Introduce Yourself Here

… I also grew up near the home of the garbage plate, maybe an hour away. HOW INTERESTING.

I’m LifeHappens. Tiptoe-ing in here to keep up with some of my favorite Internet Strangers.

I currently live in America’s Insane Asylum (aka Florida) where I am self-employed in a nonprofit-adjacent role. I spend way too much money on eating out and my very spendy boat.

8 Likes

I lived in Toronto for 3 years and never heard that expression! So I can’t safely say…

THE PLOT THICKENS

Reference to a place in Brantford.

We went at the end of Camp Mustache Canada 2017. I guess it left an impression!

Junkpile

2 Likes

Reviewer: “It may look like you’ll get a disease just from walking in the door, but the food is amazing.”

I don’t feel like the place was that scuzzy, nor the food that transcendent. But that descriptor amused me greatly. :joy:

Is that how you felt getting Ethiopian in that hookah lounge last summer?

1 Like

Pretty much. The cigarette burns through holographic placemats was a good touch and I still love the wallpaper on the ceiling tiles in the wrong half of that place. :joy:

3 Likes

I’m Hadilly (she/her), bouncing over from MMM.

Married, 3 youngish kids, work part time for money and full time running house/kids/money. I like doing ceramics, barre classes, riding my bike, going to the beach, cooking, reading (fanfic trash here!), and am currently working on making a non-flat loaf of sourdough bread. I have lots of thoughts about clothing, recipes, class privilege, the environment, child raising, living in a HCOL place, and stuff like that.

8 Likes

I’m Meowmalade, finally over here from the MMM forums where I’ve been missing all my friends! I live in Portland, OR and I’m married to a lovely guy whom I refer to as Marmalade, and we have two adorable cats. For the last 4 years or so I was really focused on a goal of FIRE, but now that I’m dealing with a lot of health issues, my goal is to get healthier, cut back on work, and continue doing the things I love (mostly going to tons of theater).

I think I’ll start a journal here when I go to 80% work on April 1st. It seems like a great place to start over, and getting one day off a week where I don’t have to think about work at all is a pretty big life change :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hell. Yes.
Now that I’ve done it, I’m so hooked. Excited for you to join the land of the part-timers. It’s freaking wonderful.

2 Likes

@Oro, thanks! I can’t wait :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome!

2 Likes

welcome!!!

I am sadly not an American expat (although we tried to become Van Isle Canadian expats then found ourselves in Midwest US instead).

I’m very interested in learning more about you and your day to day! Congrats on your engagement and wedding planning. I love getting to know folks with diverse cultural/national backgrounds and planning a wedding/making schooling decision is a lot to do this year. You got this!

Thanks!! I should clarify these are all my friends fancy weddings - I’m not there yet. Though I AM planning a 5 day bachelorette trip to Israel* with 12 guests soooo… I don’t imagine planning a wedding could be more of a headache! Maybe I will write a guide one day!

(*destination and length were not my idea)

2 Likes

That’s what I get for not reading closely :grin:

Introducing myself!

I’m delicious. I got into PF after I graduated grad school with a gigantic amount of student loans. After looking at my options, I found that income-based repayment would be beneficial to me, so until the reckoning of my loans being forgiven (or never forgiven?) in either 10 or 20 years (tax bill) , I put every extra dollar into other investments and savings. I put most of my take-home in retirement and have a side stream of income from an investment property I purchased while my loans were in forbearance that is going into a rainy day fund to expand and remodel our home once we have our third child. The future forever home is our financial goal and our biggest expense is childcare.

I recognize my privilege, but I also recognize that I’m a hard-working mom struggling to get to work every day on time at my public interest job while spending time each day supporting a local non-profit that helps other moms and infants in need.

9 Likes

I am Shadowmoss, here and on pretty much every other platform on the internet as I can’t keep track of multiple names. I am 64, retired (lean) and live in my Class A motor home in AZ. I live in the Phoenix metro area down in the Valley in the winter, and move up to a cooler small town in summer. I will make that move the last week of this month (March).

I came over from the MMM forums. I may start a journal here. I did not over at MMM. I have a blog and that is a lot to keep up already. I knit, and I will post pictures of my current sweater project at some point. I have a cat named Bosley who has settled into the RV live fairly well, although he hates it when his home moves down the road.

I see some familiar names here. Looking forward to getting involved in conversations

10 Likes

Ahoy! My name is Jason and I live in Providence. You can call me jmac if you want. I am a full-time freelance software engineer, a digital arts nonprofit co-founder, a blogger, and a coffee snob. I enjoy being interested in money and its applications without being a jerk about it. (Lately, I’ve been particularly interested in smart-but-super-lazy long-term savings via investments.) My personal website is at http://jmac.org.

I found this forum a little obliquely; I have followed the host’s personal blog for a while via the IndieWeb community, which is extremely neither here nor there. In her most recent post she mentioned starting this forum in order to replace the dearly departed Billfold, and I was immediately intrigued – even though I’d never visited Billfold. For you see, friends, I was working on my taxes that very same day, and various things about my finances I discovered did weigh heavy upon me. The serendipitous discovery of a friendly new community for discussing this sort of thing seemed worth investigating further.

So, hello.

13 Likes