Introduce Yourself Here

Hi! ThreeofWands here. Mid-30s queer cis woman living in Scotland. I started thinking seriously about personal finance via the Billfold, but a few years later I’m…still kind of a financial clusterfuck?

Next week, my wife is headed off to a writing residency for a month leaving me in charge of the budget - I’ve managed to let her do most of the financial heavy lifting for the past few years, and that’s not good for anyone so I’m using this as my time to re-set. Gulp.

6 Likes

We’re here to help and support you!

Hello! I am scuba, over here via MMM land. I am starting a new chapter of my life overseas this year as an expat, employed by the USG. And I got married this past summer, and am expecting my first child this coming summer! So lots of changes at once. My husband and I don’t combine finances since we got married later in life, but since he moved over here with me for my job (and has no plans to work - which is great since he’s better at household management) I am now paying for our joint household expenses: groceries, restaurants when we go out together, cleaning supplies, vacations, soon to be baby stuff, etc. So I’m still adjusting to that aspect, but we now have free rent so it more than balances out I think. Soon I should be able to get a feel for our normal monthly budget now that I think most of the normal “moving” expenses have passed. Anyway, I’m hoping I’ll be able to save enough here that if I want, I could have the option to FIRE after the next ~3 years here… we shall see!

6 Likes

Oh and I meant to add, though I don’t eat either anymore my favorite way to eat cottage cheese was on top of fried chicken wings! Something about that combo worked so well… Runner up was scooped with Fritos. :slight_smile:

Yummmm would so try that combo

Hi, I’m Qristy (she/her), a longtime OMD listener. After decades of being completely broke I (a) lost my spouse and (b) snuck my way into a tech career. So my main concerns are about reestablishing frugal habits as a single rich person, using my money responsibly (I feel strongly about supporting artists and the local community), and “oh shit I have to learn what investing is don’t I”

Thank you thank you thank you for having forums instead of a Facebook group.

7 Likes

Oh honey, there was no chance. I personally hate them so much <3

Welcome to the boards I’m glad you’re here! Any investing questions you have, I’d love to hear them, and I’m excited to see how your support of artists and your community works into your budget!

1 Like

Hi friend!!! You looked like a familiar friend so I tried to figure out why and how. And I found this, which I present for your amusement: https://www.punters.com.au/horses/Able-Jack_398263/

1 Like

Hi, I’m Smacky. I’m on the MMM forum but I use a different name there so none of you will ever guess who I am.

I like dogs.

That’s all there is to say about me.

8 Likes

I have precisely zero guess who you are :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome jack! I’m glad you like your wife. That seems like an oddly rare trait.

1 Like

Hi. I am Gilly a dog owning, vegetarian, married millennial who vaguely resents how much i fit the stereotype. I have found my way of from the mmm forums. I read a lot of the journals over there but mostly only respond in my head since they are so fast moving. I eat my cottage cheese on salad with a smidgen of Italian dressing mixed in.

6 Likes

Me either. Who could you possibly be??! :thinking: I may never know. Perhaps your love of dogs is a clue… Or a red herring… Or a sushi burrito…

1 Like

We will give you a “not creepin even though I could” badge :laughing:

1 Like

And now I’ve guessed too. Thanks for the hint XD

Hallo! I’m diapasoun, meandering on over from MMM to say hi over here. :slight_smile: I’m an older Millennial (early 30s), working in a weird sort of tech-adjacent space and living in coastal California in a big rambling old Victorian I share with five other people. I was not a regular reader of The Billfold, but always loved the articles I came across from there, and I’m sad to hear it’s closing.

6 Likes

Hiya! I’m with you regarding facebook groups. I was on a forum that moved over and I could never make peace with the non-chronological order and having to just scroll and scroll!

I’m very interested in learning more about your money story! I also am single but not yet rich :slight_smile: and supporting my local scene (neighborhood, music, biking, art, diversity) is a huge part of my budget.

1 Like

I decided this forum is my hang out all my laundry place so I gotta admit I’m thankful I am the opposite of competitive because Able_Jack intimidates the shite outta me. In the way the sun intimidates the shite outta me.

1 Like

This is exciting!! I personally didn’t master my finances until I had a realization it was up to only me. I think a month is perfect to get your feet wet – there’s not too much damage that can be done in that time, but it’s long enough to really start to figure out what works for you and what doesn’t.

I will vote for you for TNUotM if you manage to pull off The Story within your first 30 days.

1 Like