Introduce Yourself Here

I told a story about reproductive material in cleavage and encouraged Elle to identify herself as whiskey tits. I think I win.

5 Likes

Hi, everyone, this is Hayley J! I found Lillian through her work with my friend Lucy Bellwood, & stayed for the cats & finances :sparkling_heart:

I’m in my tenth year as a sole prop soap maker, selling almost exclusively online (first Etsy, now my own website). I dropped out of college back in 1992 & have charmed my way through several types of employment, but mainly food service & customer accounts/IT support until I started making soap, & making loads of money has never been my forte. I’ve been fortunate in being able to live pretty cheaply while still maintaining some level of adult swagger, but have a stale IRA rolled over from my one 401k supplying job & pretty much no savings, so it feels like a hollow triumph most days. My husband is a financial rock star, so I haven’t needed to stress about things, but last year I got fed up with being broke twice a year like clockwork & have resolved to change how I manage things. Lillian’s book was an awesome place to start, & I am so grateful for her knowledge & support :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Hi!
Former Billfold reader/ comment lurker. I thought I might try posting for a change.

I am a recently married lady living in the south with regretfully only one cat.
I have been working an underpaid job since graduating college almost five years ago. The job has good benefits and great work/life balance, so I have not been job searching as diligently as I feel I should. I am able to meet my expenses, but not save as much as I would like.

This year will mostly about balancing a few goals. I have several weddings and wedding adjacent events to attend this year that will be $$. We also are trying to fix up our current home to rent out and buy a second home. Between us, we have a pretty good down payment; but I am worried about keeping a large enough emergency fund $ since two houses mean double the things that can break.

7 Likes

Hi!!! I hope the expenses work so that you can get more cats!

2 Likes

The limit on cats mostly comes from my husband and places to put litter boxes. He is generally a nice man, but doesn’t like cats as much as I do.

Should also be known that he is the cat’s favorite person, because life is just like that sometimes.

3 Likes

Can you make up for it with more cheese?

Yes! I have been enjoying costco cheese lately. Luckily, the husband is supportive of my cheese habit.

2 Likes

I’m glad he’s at least half right. Sorry he’s wrong about cats, though.
Edit: despite liking cheese, it doesn’t like me, so I don’t often partake. BUT I can appreciate its delicious existence.

Wow, you are to cheese what I am to cats!

1 Like

Hi all, I’m rocklobster. I started with Jcollinsnh, found MMM in February 2013 through the comments section, and never looked back. I didn’t know the Billfold well except for a few articles, but it sounds like it was a great place, and Im hopeful that OMD can fill the void. I’m currently on unpaid maternity leave with my first kid, and thinking about moving, going back to work (in a new position), and getting my husband a new job. So there’s a lot going on, and like a few of you upthread, I keep a large ish cash buffer. I’m looking forward to getting to know more of you as we go along!

8 Likes

Hi, I’m Freckles from the MMM forum. I live in Portland-ish with my two cute kids and my husband and that adorable dog you see next to my name. I am not so great with money, I work full time as a teacher, and I love sweets too much. I’m pretty good at making them as well as eating them, which is both a feature and a bug. I actually have no idea what the Billfold is (or was?) but hey to those people! Nice to meet you!

8 Likes

Made my way here from the MMM forums under the same name. I live Very Far North Canada, make a very medium amount of money for sitting at a desk all day. I do lots of art/craft things or outdoor things when free energy conflates with free time, and read and stare at my plants when the first part of the equation is lacking. I have my spending/saving locked down pretty well and just moved to the bestest new tiny apartment.

8 Likes

Howdy! I’m rdaneel0, a happy defector from the MMM forum. I live in NYC with my husband and cat but we will be relocating soon, hopefully somewhere warm! I’m adaptive (nicer way of saying I have a physical disability) but still work part-time from home! Husband works full time and is generally the best human being ever. We both enjoy lots of weird hobbies and interests. I’m here for the journals, building wealth, and making friends. I also cook, like a lot.

11 Likes

Are you leaving MMM? Using the term “defector” caught my attention.

1 Like

Probably not entirely but I have been feeling for a while that the MMM forum is going the route of the dinosaurs. It’s so buggy and I feel like in the last 3ish years its gotten a lot more out of touch in a few spheres.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m FIFoFum. I’m cool being poly with the MMM forums and being here, but OMD seems better aligned with my interests and values. Plus, all the cool kids are here.

I live in the Seattle area with my pup. Sometimes I have a job, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes, I eat cookie dough (raw) for dinner.

11 Likes

That last point is the most important one.

3 Likes

You’re going to be in trouble with your pups.

1 Like

Hello, friends new and old! I’m HaH (she/her) and I have popped over from the MMM world.

I live in sunny Australia with my husband (Mr Happier) and adorable, sassy toddler (Ewok). I work part-time in a job I mostly enjoy, but right now I’m passionate about sustainability and gardening.

6 Likes

I’m dansette, a librarian living in London with another librarian. I was a lurker at the Billfold and a regular listener to OMD. In my spare time I write and watch a lot of bands, films and TV and seek out new and exciting vegan junk foods. My main financial goal at the moment is to save up to fix up our flat which needs a lot of work.

5 Likes