Introduce Yourself Here

Congrats on finishing up! What a pleasure it is to turn in that final copy. :slight_smile: There’s a bunch of us here who are post-grad school of various sorts (various degrees and amounts of current connection to academia), so you’ll have plenty of folks to commiserate with as you figure things out.

@Greyweld @daffodil2001 @anomalily @diapasoun Thanks y’all!! I feel like a new person without the dissertation hanging over me, and it’s great. And that’s good to know there are plenty of post-grad school peeps here! I am at that stage where most career advice I’ve received has been woefully optimistic, so commiseration would be excellent haha.

3 Likes

Because I want ALL THE Badges! Here’s my intro.

I’m 40F married to Mr Pug and recently gave birth to Puglet. I also have a 21 daughter who I just realized doesn’t have a cute nickname. hmmm must think of a non Pug related nickname. Anyway, I live just outside of Boston (how about a Northeastern Badge? hint hint) I work in Finance and HR. HR is a new thing for me. Finance (accounting really) is where my heart is but HR is kind of fun to learn about. I’m coming over from the MMM forum which I join maybe three years ago. I went from a big negative NW to steadily increasing positive NW and I plan to FIRE in about 10 years.

14 Likes

Welcome @haypug16!

2 Likes

I remember you from the MMM forums, right? Many congrats on the puglet!!!

3 Likes

yes that’s me :smile:

3 Likes

Admit it, you’re just here because I told you this forum was loading just fine :wink:

7 Likes

:rofl: maybe…

6 Likes

LOL

1 Like

Oh man I feel bad that we’re gaining members because of the server issues over there but I really do love all the NEW FRIENDS!!

@haypug16 welcome! I will consider a northeasterner badge… seems only fair :wink:

6 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Clare. I’m 33 and live in Philly with my boyfriend and dog. I moved from CA to NJ almost 10 years ago for a PhD program in English Lit. After the MA portion I moved from Jersey to Philly and ultimately decided academia wasn’t for me. I now have a full time job at a vet office, a part time job at the local running store, and I also work part time for a pet sitting company. During grad school I avoided student loans but accumulated quite a lot of consumer debt due to sloppy habits paired with a not so generous income. Now I really value working for companies I don’t despise and doing work I generally like on a daily basis, so I’m leery of making career moves that might make more sense on paper than what I’m doing now. The past 3 months I’ve started to build an active relationship with my finances and am trying to tackle my hefty debt while saving some and maintaining my hobbies (my main hobby is running, which is significantly subsidized by one of my part time jobs, but my goal races often involve travel). I love connecting with other folks who aren’t super high income and have mortal/typical millennial financial struggles. I’m excited to be here!

15 Likes

Holy shit, seriously, are you me from another life?!

7 Likes

Hahaha, maybe? It is delightful to find I have other things in common with fellow Clares Did you live in Philly?

3 Likes

I grew up in Philly and miss it so much that there have been times when I was hormonal and had to take a break from the journals of members who live in Philly. (I live in Maryland now because I’d rather have a happy husband in MD than a miserable husband in Philly.) I also have an undergrad degree in English. And I’m now 33!

4 Likes

Speaking of location badges, I think I deserve that pnw badge given all my newfound rain gear.

7 Likes

Hello.

I’m not new here. I thought, perhaps, I wrote here before, but after an exhaustive reading of the thread, no evidence has been found to support that hypothesis. I have previously written an introduction of sorts in my journal, and I encourage you to peruse it briefly, if interest exists.
https://forum.ohmydollar.com/t/my-brain-is-full-may-i-be-excused/570

Lately I’ve been a zombie, trying to recapture my joie de vivre, with moderate success. I’m usually in high spirits amidst board games with friends or mildly inebriated chats in close proximity to dead tree pieces combusting. Sometimes I choose to use unnecessarily obtuse language.

Caucasian straight cis male, spoiled by birth lottery. About forty now, working full-time at a software consultancy in a neat Southcentral Pennsylvania town.

13 Likes

How come other Canadians get Canadian badges and I don’t?

pouts

4 Likes

You have one!

If I look at “badges” on your profile I can see that you are admired, basic, empathetic, and Canadian, among other things.

3 Likes

Hi everyone. VERY longtime lurker on here and MMM…47 y old Canadian female with an obvious sugar addiction - Rockets are my favourite, but I really don’t discriminate. I should probably start a journal at some point and feel that from lurking for so long I know a bunch of you very well. I work ft, travel a lot, and every time I say I’m not spending $ I promptly go do so on the thing I said I wouldn’t (regarding travel). I live with my SO of 17 years, and of course an incredibly spoiled calico that’s will eventually get a picture posted in the journal that hasn’t been created.

14 Likes