I Will Teach You to Be Rich: Podcast Gossip and Discussion

I have been following Ramit for years and it has been interesting to see him grow and mature. Tim ferris has been encouraging him to do a podcast for ages but I think it is good he waited. This concept really works and he definitely has been influenced by Esther perel.

9 Likes

Iā€™m glad he waited too.

Ok ep22 is rich with stuff but this:

Brandon: [00:36:18] Ramit, I have to be the good guy, so youā€™re going to have to take this one.

Brandon, we just talked about how you have to break out of this. No. You get to be the Bad Guy who is actually the Communicating Directly Guy.

Itā€™s gonna feel so brash and rude and uncomfortable for him for ages to learn how to talk directly.

10 Likes

My absolute favourite is that he could have broā€™ed out hard and instead he grew and matured.

And if you ever need to interact with him/his team he practices what he preaches. Like he actually does touch every single complaint within hours, and then has his people fix things even if they donā€™t need fixing

10 Likes

That is good. I was very wary of him from what I read of his earlier things but reading these transcripts shows empathy.

Related, Iā€™m reading the $10mill now and I really like the way he starts with asking for empathy first, and the way he asks for that empathy:

And second, the real lesson is that if you feel nervous, or anxious, or fearful about money, youā€™re still going to feel that way even when you have $10 million.

No amount of money is going to fix certain mindset aspects.

11 Likes

I have blueberries in my fridge right now. I have already won the money game.

Thinking about spending in line with our values is timely was we come up on the end of the year (although I keep thinking the money stuff I need to do this weekend includes the year end review but that kinda needs Decemberā€™s numbers so that wonā€™t happen till January.)

12 Likes

Omg Iā€™m listening to this one now and sheā€™s not helping at all. Brandon finally got dragged to saying ā€œyou should have an equal budgetā€ and sheā€™s immediately like ā€œbut are you sure though? Iā€™m giving you a chance to back out.ā€ He committed!! Take it! Move forward!

9 Likes

Iā€™m gonna start listening to this now because I canā€™t not join in the gossip.

8 Likes

Yes! I love this.

3 Likes

I really liked the line ā€œpauseā€¦ What did the other person say, in one sentence.ā€

For the next couple, OH MY GOD 3 MILLION A YEAR???

7 Likes

:joy: And this is why I have hope for them!

3 Likes

Ok, so this Charles guy keeps saying heā€™s super analytical and thatā€™s why he doesnā€™t spend. But heā€™s not being analytical. Analytical might weight the amount that heā€™ll lose if he gets divorced (presumably half of ten million, plus alimony), vs the amount that his wife could possibly want to spend and how that compares to their income. Or the yearly amount they could spend if they didnā€™t make any more actively made money ever.

6 Likes

Iā€™m reading the transcripts and theyā€™re so good! Ramit has really matured so much. I have a lot of respect for how heā€™s handling these advice podcasts.

2 Likes

HOLD UP HOLD UP SO PABLO AND MONIQUE STARTED DATING WHEN SHE WAS 18 AND HE WAS 28?

Iā€™m not against big age gaps at a certain point, but an almost 30 year old adult starting to date basically a high schooler and then asking her to be financially equal is ummmm

7 Likes

Haha my dad and mom got together when she was 18 and he was 29. :grimacing:

1 Like

Itā€™s the gotta be financially equal part thatā€™s making me five the side eyeā€¦

2 Likes

I remember picking his book up after I graduated high school and it did pretty much nothing for me (I think it was the way it was written - I couldnā€™t get past the tone of the book). itā€™s good to see that heā€™s gone on to help folks more. I like that multiple OMDers made a comment about maturity in this thread.

4 Likes

There has been an interesting evolution with all of these 00 era tech bro advice guys, who all seem to be friends in real life. Timā€™s journey took a MAJOR turn when he started being vulnerable ā€“ first admitting in his Ted talk that he had come close to suicide, then digging deeper and revealing his abuse history. And now rather than just trying to make even more money than he knows what to do with he has jumped deep into funding psychedelic research as applied to mental health/trauma. If you go back through his podcast archive you can actually see some of these turns happening. His interviews with people like tara brach and Gabor Mate early on were probably very instrumental.

Tim is good friends with Ryan Holliday, who helped propel Tucker Max to his fame as a pickup artist and then made it big as the marketer for American Apparel but now is like Stoic in Chief or something.

Jordan Harbinger is another one of these guys who escaped the whole tech bro/PUA culture and now is one of the best podcast interviewers out there.

I mean, I am sure all of these guys still have some problematic areas but I am glad I didnā€™t just write them off because I have gotten a LOT out of their podcasts, especially the last 3-4 years as they have matured and deepened their engagement with important ideas and wise people.

9 Likes

Ryan Holliday is such a good example. I didnā€™t notice this as a trend but youā€™re totally right. I didnā€™t see it before!

4 Likes

I think one thing I like about this podcast is hearing about all the little rules people make for themselves, unconsciously, sometimes based on past experiences and sometimes not. The actual money stuff is so out of the realm of my reality but a lot of the personal development and communication stuff is relatable. Iā€™m on episode 15 so I have to catch up with everyone!

11 Likes

Now heā€™s talking about how some people are addicted to talking about certain problems, and how they become part of their identity over time. So keeping the problem almost becomes desirable for that person, but not consciously. Thatā€™s super interesting.

6 Likes