How Do You Cheer Yourself Up?

One thing we’ve been doing in our new place is getting flowers, maybe once a month. They last a week or two in the dining room and then I prune down the bouquet and it lasts another week or so in a mason jar in the master bath. Depending what flowers it had.

Also, can’t do this all the time but updating necessities and using the new things. New toothbrush and new underwear days are pretty great lol. Or when you start a new shampoo or body wash.

I thrifted some really cute white teacups with saucers, and Human sometimes makes me a cappuccino/latte in one. It’s a really satisfying little treat, especially if we have a cookie to have on the side. :blush:

10 Likes

Ah yes, NOTICING the vessel your drink is in!!

5 Likes

I might just be bougie but sometimes I want to chug a barrel of coffee and I don’t care what it’s in, but sometimes I want to experience a drink/meal. :grin:

8 Likes

The majority of my coffee mugs are sentimental items specifically so I can have something that makes me happy when I’m drinking my beverage of choice. I hardly ever drink coffee, I just put whatever beverage in them.

6 Likes

Oh I think it’s so normal!! It’s a good reminder to savor the small stuff.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of getting extra extravagant things you might not normally have. Like the good chocolate, or coffee.

Anything you’re saving in your house for a “special occasion” that occasion can be now! Maybe the nice jewelry that doesn’t come out very often. In this same note- getting my ring cleaned professionally is a huge plus to my day. Almost all jewelry stores (like Kay or Jared) will do it for free while you browse and it takes 10 mins or less.

For some reason vacuuming and then hanging in the freshly vacuumed room is leveling up for me.

8 Likes

I started buying fancy cookies at trader joes and I have a cookie with my tea every night. It’s totally unnecessary but is something I look forward to every night. The little things really do make life better!

8 Likes

I’m very aesthetically-oriented, so one thing I do is try to always buy a visually pleasing version of everyday items. This is something I couldn’t afford for a long time so I really relish it now! From coasters to water bottles to napkins to knives, everything I own and use I love the look of. I notice these details every day!

I also find that keeping my home really clean and tidy helps me feel cared for.

Another thing is plating and setting the table! Even when I eat alone I plate my food and set the table :slight_smile: because that’s not just for guests, I’m worth it too!

I also fully believe in using the nicest of what you have. I don’t save outfits or jewelry or perfume for some magical future date. If I want to wear diamond earrings around the house I do it! Perfume while in pajamas- why not?! I don’t have any fancy dishes (yet! haha) but if I did I’d use them all the time.

11 Likes

For me a fair amount of ‘plussing up’ is social as I am a socially-oriented person and friend interactions contribute a lot to my happiness (science agrees to this!).

Simple example: Yesterday was the first proper nice weather day of the year here (21C/70F) so I wanted to go out for a walk. Instead of just going for a solo walk I texted a friend to ask if he wanted to join. We ended up walking for an hour, then spontaneously decided to sit down somewhere for dinner too. I’d still do the solo walk btw, but by using the nice weather as a prompt to text a friend I get more outdoor time + more friend time!

Another one is to keep some memorable items around. I did a big trip last year so after coming home I made a little ‘altar’ with some souvenirs and photos. The souvenirs are all very low-key and were often gifts or freebies, but it does remind me of the giver and the location/setting every time I look out of my window.

8 Likes

Getting under trees always makes me feel better.

6 Likes

Ok this is goofy, but consistently over time helps me.
I set a timer every morning and force myself to smile (for me it’s 3m30s).
From an onlooker perspective I’m sure I look deeply unhinged, but it always makes me feel better, even when I’m faking it, which 99.9% of the time I am.

11 Likes

This is an excellent and creative suggestion but made me think of a series of TikTok/reel shorts content: "When your husband says you're always in a bad mood and should smile m... | TikTok

2 Likes

This is precisely the energy, yet somehow it fools my brain!

3 Likes

I may have to try Deranged Smile Energy next time I’m feeling ugh. :joy::joy::joy::melting_face:

4 Likes

Give it a shot. I apparently believe in it enough to post about it in a month-dormant thread :man_facepalming:t3:

6 Likes

There’s actually some scientific studies showing that smiling makes people happier! I just read about it a few weeks ago

6 Likes

I’ve read them too, which convinced me to commit to trying it, and then I was like… “dammit this works”. :joy:

8 Likes

Reviving old thread with this gem.

“What if this is getting me where I need to be?” Wow 6th grader wow

4 Likes

When I read or watch something that makes me feel happy, I make sure to note it. Then, when I’m depressed, I make myself read/watch those things, again.

When I’m very depressed, I will tell myself it won’t matter… and then say, well, if it wont’ matter, then why not do it anyway?

My list includes: Slow Sculpture (short story by Theodore Sturgeon) and the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life,” and walking to a particular place in our neighborhood, which overlooks a gully filled with ferns, trees, and a trickle of water at the bottom.

7 Likes

oh this one is so so good. I forget you can watch it outside of Christmastime

1 Like