Habituary All Day Every Day!

I found Habituary really, really useful to me. (Like I actually flossed every day you all. And it’s like, a thing I do now!) So I want to keep going with a new habit every month or two or three. Who wants to join me?

I propose somewhat stricter rules than the original challenge:

• Max three new habits (individual actions) at a time that you are making a priority.
  • Start with a minimum so easy it’s hard to fail. You can always do more than your minimum and you can always build intensity or duration later.
  • Rule of thumb to form habits is 66 days (not sure how well supported that is, discuss). I don’t plan to give anyone a hard time over finishing or quitting sooner but… A guideline.
  • I lied that these are “strict rules,” do what you want and is useful for you. :kissing_heart:

Thread for sharing challenges, victories, support, and funny (eg cat-related) excuses. Also habit building motivation and Science!

7 Likes

I did the dishes every day in Feb, but I worry about slacking off now that I don’t have any accountability. So I’m in! No dirty dishes on the counter or in the sink when I go to bed. Secondary goal that isn’t a daily habit: unload the dishwasher within 24 hours of running it.

2 Likes

The three I’m tracking right now:

• temping (fertility tracking), on day 29/90 with 1 miss
  • flossing, 31/90, no misses!
  • 5 min+ outside time, 1/30, new!

The temping is easy to miss because I can’t go back and do it. We will see how “outside” goes, that one has no specific time so it’s easy to procrastinate.

4 Likes

Ooh I’m in! I’ve kept up with my goal of doing at least 1 thing stretching/strength training related so far for March.

3 Likes

I sat outside on the balcony at 9pm and did Duolingo for 9 minutes, mostly because I promised you guys lol. Toldya it helps! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

At least 10 minutes of cleaning every day (hopefully more). Laundry doesn’t count (weird, but its the one thing I already have a great habit with, and I will find things to throw in the washer if I have a goal to clean but don’t wanna). I want to REALLY deeply spring clean this year, so hopefully this will get me a really thorough start!

Second new habit (much easier) will be taking my vitamin daily.

This starts today – I did nothing but laundry and washing specific dishes I needed in the moment the first few days of the month. Hoping to keep on board Duolingo and walking Woody daily.

4 Likes

I’m in!

• Continuing from Habituary: Leaving the house every day.
  • New: Making the bed every day.
2 Likes

Fuuu I got up too early and too fast and forgot to temp again. :pensive:

I should maybe reset the reminder to 6am but also not sure if it will help when I wake up before 7.

2 Likes

Have you considered the Tempdrop? It measures your temperature overnight so you only have to remember to put in on, not temp right away or you are screwed. I never could remember when I temped before and this actually worked.

1 Like

I’ve gotten in a pretty good groove of studying Russian I’d like to keep up - I also want to add more in more listening and speaking practice, I can recognize words in print but hearing them is ???

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard of it! So it works? Kind of skeptical of skin based measurement for the price, but with a recommendation… It would solve the problem!

1 Like

It did work for me. They have had problems with their frame/band as it is a pretty new product but honestly I saw my temp rise every time and I never remembered enough to temp reliably. The fiddly parts were worth it.

1 Like

I’ve done well at cleaning, which is the most important thing this month! The kitchen is far less hideous than it has been. I’ve been making it a routine to wash any lingering dishes and do a little extra cleaning every morning while coffee water is boiling and things are soaking in the French press! Have done vitamins every morning as well.

2 Likes

I walked down the stairs twice yesterday and once today. I was bracing heavily on the railing/wall, but it feels like evidence that doing the daily PT is actually having tangible impact.

4 Likes

PSA: humble bundle has a “un- :duck: your brain” book bundle for $1-15 for the next week.

More info

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/unfck-your-life-microcosm-books

“Humble Bundle sells games, ebooks, software, and other digital content. Our mission is to support charity while providing awesome content to customers at great prices.”

I’m not affiliated with them, I’ve not familiar with the books, just intrigued.

Update: I spent the weekend lump shaped reading and napping and forgot to go outside except while doing laundry. I did keep up with flossing and temping and did a walk today :partying_face: onward and upward!

I’ve continued doing the dishes every night. I even emptied the dishwasher on schedule.

1 Like

Does it feel unnatural to not do it yet, or are you still convincing yourself to do it?

There was one night I almost didn’t. But that was because I’d cleared up dishes earlier in the evening (that was unusual) and forgot I hadn’t finished. I was on my way to bed when I remembered to check the sink. Otherwise, it is almost habit. I could very easily backslide at this point, though.

A side benefit is I’ve gotten better at cleaning up during meal prep so I don’t have as much to do later. This is a conscious effort, not yet habit.

3 Likes

I have been stretching/ strength training regularly! I need to bow out of tracking though to free up more mental space for my business. Good things happening though!

2 Likes

Another week of daily dishes done! I feel like it will be a solid habit in a few more weeks.

2 Likes