Give me random advice

When you live with someone else, continually putting a chore of to later means the other person will do it eventually. This will not make them happy with you, just do the thing now. Also it probably won’t take as long as you think it will.

10 Likes

ugh, same here. Damn 13-17 year old me who never did a single exercise any PT gave her.

5 Likes

If they wanted to, they would.

10 Likes

Haha I should have specified thats advice for people who do it but it annoys them or their partner :joy: I would end up with a pile on top of my dresser but I haaaate the way it looks. I want everything to be able to be “away”. Hence the basket was born.

5 Likes

Yup. Don’t buy dry clean only. And as a corollary, buying “hand wash” is OK. Put it in a mesh bag in the washer on the delicate cycle and let it air dry. I have never had a problem doing it this way!

My favorite random advice, received on many occasions from my dad: Don’t take any wooden nickels.

9 Likes

If you have a cut flower that is wilting, cut the stem at an angle under running water with sharp scissors, then put it in fresh water. It will perk up.

8 Likes

This works with lettuce, carrots, and celery too! They perk back up in cold water.

6 Likes

OH THIS REMINDS ME I saw something wild on TikTok but haven’t independently verified- florist was saying that hydrangeas absorb water through their petals, not just their stems, so if you have droopy hydrangeas dunk them upside in water overnight and it’ll refresh them! Apparently the woody stems don’t wick water up well?

7 Likes

On the dry clean only clothing issue – if it’s at a thrift store for cheap, you love it, and it says dry clean only, it’s worth taking a chance on. Buy it, put it through the washer, hang to dry. 99 times out of 100 it’ll be just fine.

9 Likes

Oh, and a new one: label it before you put it in the freezer. No, really.You think you’ll remember later, but you won’t.

20 Likes

Make your bed when you get up - then no matter what you have accomplished something completely for the day.

10 Likes

Spend some time outdoors everyday if you can. And put your phone away while you’re there.

Avoid close relationships with toxic people. Along the same line, believe people when they show you who they are.

11 Likes

Don’t ruminate on past decisions. In most cases, trust that you made the best decision you had with the information available at the time. New or different information later doesn’t change that because you made the best decision you could at the time.

11 Likes

Your emotions/body are often trying to tell you something. Try to make it a practice to sit with them for awhile and listen, even (or especially) when it is uncomfortable to do so. And then listen to what they are saying. You will learn valuable things about yourself.

9 Likes

Never turn down time with a therapist, even if you think whatever happened was no big deal.

You might regret it in 20 years.

11 Likes

This.

3 Likes
  1. An error is just a form of feedback.

2. All behavior has a function. (And don’t expect it to change if you don’t address the underlying function.)

3. Think about an area you are an expert in, through training, experience, and so on. Now think about how you feel and what you think when you see random people on the internet discussing details within this field (in social media, forums, etc.). For every (other) topic you look up online, imagine there is some expert out there feeling the exact same way about this information.

13 Likes

You’ve been spying on me…

8 Likes

Along those same lines…Do it when you think of it, because you won’t remember later.

11 Likes

You are allowed not to like things and not try them again. Or try them again and change your mind.

13 Likes