Get More of Your S*** Together: January

Automated withdrawals are now reflected on work’s website and I didn’t have to do anything anything annoying like phone someone.

2 Likes

Did a ton of work yesterday but nothing on the list. Going to work on the writing thing today so I don’t get on the shit list.

2 Likes

I’m late to this party but I may as well note some shit I need to get done soon:

• finish my sales and expenses records for my jewelry business for 2019, send to accountant

• pay IL sales tax for my business (due 1/20)

• Someone submitted a return request for something they bought from me on Amazon Handmade and now apparently there is a whole new Procedure I have to go through to make it happen and Amazon’s email is very obtuse. So I have to sit down and figure out what I am supposed to do now to refund this person’s money.
    (Also salty that, apparently, the seller now has to cover the buyer’s return shipping?? Which, if there’s a defect or whatever, or I sent the wrong thing, I can see, but the buyer’s reason was “bought this by mistake.” How does someone buy something by mistake? Ambien?)

• add my new AA miles card to my Amazon account so I can meet minimum spend

• figure out how minimum spend will be happening? I have until mid-March. I was going to use it for dental work but given how catastrophically dental work tends to go for me, I decided to do it right after we get back from Hawaii instead. (Which is in mid-Feb, so, it still could happen.)

• look into changing our cell service to something cheaper.

2 Likes

GUESS WHAT I DID!?! I Spent over an hour on the phone calling my insurance company, my drug co-pay assistance, and Bank of America. YESTERDAY I called the US Figure Skating association to figure out my member number and reinstate my membership.

So many calls like a grown up.

8 Likes

Updated list:

• Drop e-waste off at the recycling centre
  • Hang new mirror and give away old mirror
  • Glue frames back onto both bathroom mirrors
  • Hang two photos that are framed and ready to go
  • Sort out my Dad’s photos so we have a collection ready to be scanned
  • Make ollas with the supplies I’ve already purchased
  • Catch up on shredding (completely clear existing pile)
  • Check my ‘shelter in place’ supplies to see what needs adding or replacing (partially completed)
  • Purchase (in person or online) supplies needing to be added to our go-bags and ‘shelter in place’ supplies (partially completed)
1 Like

Checking in to report annoying writing thing is half done. Going back in to finish it now.

Edit: done! :white_check_mark:

I am a rockstar so far this weekend!

• finish my sales and expenses records for my jewelry business for 2019, send to accountant

* pay IL sales tax for my business (due 1/20) HOORAY! I fucking hate doing this because the IL state website is stupid but it is done!

*Someone submitted a return request for something they bought from me on Amazon Handmade and now apparently there is a whole new Procedure I have to go through to make it happen and Amazon’s email is very obtuse. So I have to sit down and figure out what I am supposed to do now to refund this person’s money. This turned out to be super easy! Fie on Amazon and their obtuse emails; they could have distilled the instructions down to “literally click this, then this.”

* add my new AA miles card to my Amazon account so I can meet minimum spend

• figure out how minimum spend will be happening? I have until mid-March. I was going to use it for dental work but given how catastrophically dental work tends to go for me, I decided to do it right after we get back from Hawaii instead. (Which is in mid-Feb, so, it still could happen.)
  • look into changing our cell service to something cheaper.
1 Like
  • Send the email to family friend about how much he owes me for web hosting and say that I am not able to update his site - he should find a student who needs a portfolio piece or something for a resume.

DONE!

5 Likes

We have decided not to move the bubble wrap painting, and it is good to have that decision & clarity, and the bubble wrap is off. I’m in love with it all over again.

2 Likes

I moved my phone plan provider, after 17 years with sprint to mint, today! gonna save me (well, my business) - $25 per month or $300 per year!

5 Likes

Current status:

• :white_check_mark: Figure out problem with husband’s My Social Security and get him set up there/ deal with fraud if we have to

• :frowning_face: Combine checking accounts

• ON HOLD Get new credit card set up on bill pay

• PROGRESS Do payment certification for PSLF one last time before the big push for forgiveness this summer - got the paperwork from the old job, back in 2007. Will send paperwork to current HR tomorrow and then mail them together

• :white_check_mark: Do annoying overdue writing thing for work before someone notices it’s late

• :frowning_face: Clean out that freezer and chuck things we really aren’t going to eat to facilitate eating it down enough to defrost

1 Like

Week 2:

Finished:
:white_check_mark: Finish filing 2019 papers - school and medical - turns out these weren’t the only papers left to deal with, but I did what’s on the list so …
:white_check_mark: Pay state estimated taxes for 2019 (due Jan 15)2. Cancel cable (has been on my todo list for 2 years…)
:white_check_mark: Fix school funding issue :new:
:white_check_mark: Drop off glass and cardboard recycling :new:

Still to do:

1. Clothing donations (three separate dropoffs for specific items)
    a. general
    b. uniforms
    c. suits
  2. Find next cc bonus (maybe CIP?)
  3. Make travel arrangements for Feb trip
  4. Prep two rooms of basement for reno (stretch goal: all 3 rooms)
  5. Undo Roth IRA contribution
  6. Find brokerage/bank that can handle my weird rollover needs.

I have the general donations ready to go, just ran out of time on Thursday when I was last going that direction. New plan is Monday (tomorrow)
I’ll be better able to plan travel after I get more info about my schedule on Tuesday
For the rest I just have to buckle down and DO THEM

2 Likes
  • I started downloading investment documents for our tax returns. Hooray!
  • I booked my mum in for over locker shopping.
  • I’ve tested the solar lanterns, they work! Next I have to try charging a phone with one. I also received 12 L of water for our wait-in-place. I think technically we need a bit more? Once I work out where to store this, I’ll order another 12 L batch.
2 Likes

Jan 14 Update

I’ve invited more people to the party, created a meetup event, got my Amazon prime refunded, reviewed Indivisible docs, and sorted out the money from my trip.

The biggest open item that I didn’t get to is my therapy homework. I don’t wanna! It’s gonna suck!

Priority

1. :exclamation: Transfer HSA again
    1. Cancel healthequity transfer :white_check_mark: UMB and CYC never received transfer request
    2. CYC: sell investments and put in cash :white_check_mark: sale pending
    3. Fidelity: open account :white_check_mark:
    4. UMB: make sure invested balance is $0 :white_check_mark:
    5. Fidelity: Fill transfer form
    6. Print Fidelity form and last UMB statement
    7. Mail both docs
    8. UMB: make sure transfer form received
  2. :exclamation: Mail docs for second unclaimed money deal :orange_circle:
    1. Get envelope :white_check_mark:
    2. Buy stamps :white_check_mark:
    3. Mail
  3. Send in rebate for waterpik - find receipt?
  4. Party prep
    a. Buy thrift store blankets I think I have enough, but still need to wash blankets/sheets :white_check_mark:
    b. :exclamation: Invite extra people :white_check_mark:
    c. Buy hot cocoa supplies
    d. :exclamation: Create meetup event :white_check_mark:
    e. Wash backyard chairs
  5. :exclamation: Write letters (therapy) - due by Jan 17 :orange_circle:
  6. Renew passport
    1. Get envelope :white_check_mark:
    2. Fill out form
    3. Print form
    4. Mail
  7. Indivisible
    1. Contact friend @ organizing :white_check_mark:
    2. :exclamation: Review existing docs :orange_circle:
    3. Edit/create docs
  8. Review blues volunteer docs
  9. Test thyroid again - on calendar for Jan 29

Backlog

1. Sell bloomingdales card Find something useful to buy at Bloomingdale’s because I can’t sell a card with an expiration date… Or buy to resell on eBay
  2. For Feb: get rid of clothes at swap
  3. For Feb: 1. Research and buy fancy electric toothbrush :orange_circle:
  4. :exclamation: Put die hard shirt on BN - pending pickup :orange_circle:
  5. Create rough draft camp mustache presentation - inside how to zine for basic activism

Done

1. Set up Ally savings account
  2. Buy return bus ticket to Seattle
  3. Credit Cards
    1. Get new double cash card sent :white_check_mark:
    2. Check annual fee on Venture :white_check_mark:
    3. Update autopay settings on Venture :white_check_mark:
    4. set up autopay for double cash - carried over from old card :white_check_mark:
    5. Update account alert settings for double cash card :white_check_mark:
    6. Update address w/ Amex - first find blue cash card?
  4. Figure out Zelle/Chase/Ally/pbk transfer situation
  5. IRA
    a. Make final 2019 Roth IRA contributions :white_check_mark:
    b. Switch $4,000 Roth contribution from 2020 to 2019 - LOL after two calls and an hour on the phone, I found out I can change the contribution year myself online :white_check_mark:
    c. Transfer leftovers to checking/savings :white_check_mark:
  6. Buy B12 supplement :white_check_mark:
  7. hang up goals calendar
  8. Set up personal development book club/accountability group :white_check_mark:
  9. Ugggh make Roth contribution again. Something got messed up.
  10. :exclamation: pay for victoria trip
  11. Call Amazon for prime cancellation and refund. Cancelled online, refund should be processed within a week
  12. Return 3 bike share bikes to racks
2 Likes

Ugh. The biggie. I worked on this for an hour and a half today. It’s not done, but it’s a good enough start to discuss in therapy tomorrow.

I also bought stamps so I can renew my passport (#7) and claim $150 in lost monies (#2). I spoke with a contact about #10 and invited two more people to my party (#5b). I met with an Indivisible contact about #8.

2 Likes

Current status:

:white_check_mark: Figure out problem with husband’s My Social Security and get him set up there/ deal with fraud if we have to

:frowning_face: Combine checking accounts

:white_check_mark: Get new credit card set up on bill pay - done and paid!

MORE PROGRESS Do payment certification for PSLF one last time before the big push for forgiveness this summer - Got the paperwork signed from both jobs, discovered I can fax instead of mail, will fax from work next week

:white_check_mark: Do annoying overdue writing thing for work before someone notices it’s late

:frowning_face: Clean out that freezer and chuck things we really aren’t going to eat to facilitate eating it down enough to defrost

1 Like

Update on “Shit I need to get done”;

1. Cancel Gym membership
  2. Change name with bank and get new debit card
  3. Set up automatic investing in Vanguard (Withdrawel from bank to settlement account is set up but I need to figure out the part were the money goes from the settlement to the investment account)
  4. Cancel Chase Sapphaire card :heavy_check_mark:
  5. Check status of earning American Airlines CC sign on bonus :heavy_check_mark:

2 down 3 to go. I hope to get around to making my way down to the gym this weekend so I cancel my membership. I still can’t figure out how to get my vanguard investments to be automatic. I only can find the setting for transfers to the settlement account. I know there’s an OMD podcast about this I’ll have to try and relisten to it.

2 Likes

Update: don’t think we’re going to combine the checking accounts this month. We’re not leaving the dog alone, certainly not for something like a joint errand to the bank that we’ve been putting off for over a decade.

We are so unbelievably lucky and privileged to be able to avoid leaving him alone. We’re starting to think a whole lot of the vomiting is anxiety, so we just keep someone with him. There’s a day next week when Husband has a job interview and I have a meeting, so I guess we’ll see how he does then. The next decision would be whether husband takes the job if he’s offered it…

4 Likes

I made a list of things that bug me in the house that could be solved by spending some money. If the weather is good next weekend, we might do the trek out to the wilds of North Toronto where the home decor shops are large and expensive, and we might be able to see lighting fixtures in person instead of relying on website photos.

I have gotten a reco and a quote to do professional headshots.

1 Like

My accounts → account maintenance → automatic investment/exchange

2 Likes