Get it Done December Challenge

Continuing the tradition of the past 3 years, we have an end-of-the-year challenge.

Get it Done December and will run from December 1 to December 31.

The goal for Get it Done December is to clear out those lingering tasks that you thought you would get done in 2022. You must declare them and try to get them done before the end of the year.

You can also choose to “extinguish” the task and guilt-free ditch any resolutions or goals that simply couldn’t or didn’t happen this year. Let them go!

Examples of Get it Done December tasks:

• Call up a friend that you haven’t checked in with much this year
  • Cancel recurring subscriptions that you don’t use
  • Finish your 2022 BINGO! A Choose-Your-Own-Goals challenge.
  • Finally get a “hit by a bus” folder together (find a checklist in A Cat’s Guide to Money )
  • Calling up your phone or cable company and negotiating a new rate
  • Finally set up an IRA and autodeposit
  • Call your credit card company and move to a no-fee card
  • Organize and categorize your stash of yarn or fabric before you rebuy things you don’t need
  • Eat down your pantry
  • Listing or donating clothes or electronics you’re ready to pass on
  • Set up or clear out monthly donations, or maybe even join the OMD Purrsonal Finance Society (cheeky plug there)
  • Be creative!

It will have a special forum badge and even a STICKER for people that complete the whole month, that will be cat themed.

Basic rules:

1. You must establish your own rules about what you are trying to accomplish as your Get it Done December task(s) this month. State them in the first week of the month to get us kicked off.
  2. Each weekend (starting December 3rd) YOUR Local Time, you will report how you did on your challenge for the week on this thread. You can report where you’re at and what your biggest challenge and victories of the week were.

Who This Challenge is For

• Anyone who wants a little public accountability and weekly discussion about their goals.

What do you get out of participating?

• Deep Satisfaction of working on those tasks that hang over your head and not bringing them into a new year
  • A community to support you as you get sh*t done
  • A CUTE forum badge for participating in the weekly check-ins
  • And if you do all 4 week check-ins, you get a STICKER mailed to you. I have only printed these for this challenge.

If you’re in to participate (or on the fence and need encouragement), comment below with your tasks for Get it Done December below

11 Likes

I don’t have lingering goals but there will be a lot of Get It Done in December because we have to move and work will be busy AF! So my goals are:

1. Move successfully
    1a. Have spouse anchor furniture ASAP this time not a year later!
  2. Survive :face_with_spiral_eyes:
    2a. Get enough sleep, not like I have a choice these days :sweat_smile:
    2b. Eat decent food quality despite eating down the fridge. And stress cookies.
    2c. Stay active (packing counts, or walk/yoga).

:laughing:

9 Likes

The stress in me recognizes the stress in you.

10 Likes

In!! Gonna throw some random tasks I’ve had hovering and stressing me out

Get life insurance for SirB (slash, double check new employer does not provide it)
Get new PCP for SirB and I
3 year birthday pages of Latte’s childhood journal
Lil Pup to vet for shots
Covid boosters for SirB and I

8 Likes

:pray: We are one.

1 Like

Omg, I have so much. I’ve essentially accomplished less than 50% of my 2022 goals, and have decided most of them are getting forward to next year (one of the first times I’ve just decided to just renew them). But here they are:

Day Job

• apply for scholarship for CFP
  • teach workshop for lead gen
  • decide if apply to another job?
  • schedule PPP exam

OMD

• make proposal for slate
  • clear out recurring subs/patreons I don’t need
  • Patreon year end letter written and out
  • email newsletter 2023 plan
  • make a game plan for book printing for 3rd print run
  • podcast episodes out x 2
  • budgeting video up

Triplex

• choose flooring
  • choose faucets
  • order tile samples
  • order wallpaper samples
  • record three more videos for house podcast

Volunteering/Life

• Take tax prep certification test
  • labs + rheumatologist appt
  • book japan tickets
  • hotel night for SSO
6 Likes

I’m in. For sure I need to

• Finish going through the storage room. I did some of this when I was taking work outreach stuff back to work, but there are still plenty of shelves left of stuff I can’t blame on anyone else.
  • Review all of the streaming services I’m subscribed to. I know there are some 1 year deals that end next month, need to decide what’s worth keeping

But once I’m home I’ll go back through the things I planned to get done this year and see if there’s anything else that makes sense to put on the list.

2 Likes

I’m in. Gotta think about this a bit though. I accomplished a lot of my 2022 goals, but there are other things that have come up that need addressing.

Mostly dealing with seniors in nursing homes not being well cared for. None of them are directly related, but they are a distant cousin and a close friend of my sister’s. Mostly concerned about my sister’s friend, who has no family in the entire province. I’m wondering how much time to devote to them, given the fact each of them is a 20 minute drive away.

The situation at my sister’s friend’s place is bad. His room was a disaster when she visited, and he’s lived there a year. The staff is not well trained and showed no interest in his situation. I guess if you have no visitors you’re bottom of the totem pole in Canadian nursing homes. I’m thinking it might be time to make a efew weekly visits, but I’m sure Hubby won’t go for that. He has this thing about hanging out in old folks homes.

Anyways, there’s that.

• Then there’s the South Korean appliqué quilt top.
  • I made some stool pads for DSIS#1 and have fabric left over. I’m making potholders now. I have cushion cover tops cut out. I’m thinking of making a runner for her bay window sill.
  • I may or may not be sewing more Christmas linens. I sewed a mantel cloth for the fireplace yesterday.
  • I have to talk to the bank about GIC renewal.
  • I need to organize gifts for my DSIS#3 family.
  • prep for DSIS#3’s visit in December. Her DD is going to help decorate for Christmas.
  • maybe get said niece to help bake cookies for Christmas too.
  • Christmas cards mailed and emails sent.
  • blog post written and scheduled.
  • videos filmed, edited and scheduled.
  • Update master artist CV, bio and artist statement.
  • organize my business records and update my financial records.
  • finish watching nature journaling videos.
  • finish watching philatelic videos.
  • If I have time…rug hook and spin yarn.
3 Likes

December is always like a ski jump to the end of the year, but I think I can join:

I’m going to go though my Evernote notebook named “articles to read”, and either
() read them
() delete them

Anything I don’t read, I’m deleting on Dec 31. :broom:

10 Likes

Writing out this list motivated me to get a few quick things done, whoop whoop.

still up:

• put barriers in dresser drawer
  • email scanned art to guests

done/cancelled:

• :white_check_mark: submit covid test reimbursement to insurance
  • :white_check_mark: return thredup
  • :white_check_mark: update voter registration address
  • :white_check_mark: assemble bed
  • :white_check_mark: vacuum bedroom 4x with new robot :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark: :heavy_check_mark:
  • :white_check_mark: vacuum rest of apartment at least once
  • :white_check_mark: pay apartment building thing?
  • :white_check_mark: schedule Bowie vet visit
    • :white_check_mark: (and figure out how to get him there)
  • :white_check_mark: double check that Ally has enough money / transfer extra to savings
  • :white_check_mark: decide on wall hooks/entryway shelf
  • :white_check_mark: make sure I’m not auto-renewing duolingo plus
  • :white_check_mark: UPDATED: ask thredup cs for extension on return oops
  • :white_check_mark: look into credit card bonus for when I pay rent again
  • :white_check_mark: roller disco at least once
  • make cardboard tabletop easel
  • :white_check_mark: scan art using building scanner
  • :white_check_mark: switch registration on kindle
  • :white_check_mark: call about sink

January:

• covid booster once I’m 3 months out
  • put up big framed art
  • Jockey return?
  • sleep study
  • consult for BR
  • return tights FM
  • post shower curtain BN
  • Thredup return
  • switch passwords/change credit cards in LP
  • switch to bitwarden fro lastpass
4 Likes

I aspire to complete many tasks before the end of the year but the number one thing I should’ve done months ago is sort out daycare. We’ve done about half the research we need to do. Up next is tours, many of which are virtual due to COVID, but we have to schedule them. Might also need to find care for any gap between return to work and openings.

7 Likes

I am in for this! I will be adding to the list because I can’t think of everything at once. I never had a list of 2022 goals.

• Bleach tea cups and cutting boards
  • start weight workout program (besides my classes) I have been meaning to do this for a while and haven’t gotten to it
  • get started and maybe finish painting the kitchen/family room like I have been talking/thinking about since spring
  • get back to using my treadmill consistently
  • clean up and organize all my vacation pics from this year that I keep not doing!!
  • seriously pick out bathroom Reno items - tile, tub, vanity

Apparently I need to stop thinking about a lot of stuff and just do it.

I’m holding out for January snakuary to evaluate food stuff, but I also need to start eating down the freezers. I would like to order half a cow and there is absolutely no room for it. At least I can start by doing a little bit?

2 Likes

Definitely in, I have so many small tasks I keep putting off! For now (will add to over the next couple days):

-Book kitty into vet for vaccination/check up
-Make saltdough handprint santas for Christmas
:white_check_mark:Book myself in for skin check
-List last couple things from garage for sale on fb
-Clear out last few boxes from garage sale
-Organise pantry/fridge/freezer before Christmas
-New driver’s license for husband after telco hack

3 Likes

Organize my office (at home; the one at work is decent)
Write a new course
Catch up on sleep
Find out about doggie flu vaccine so I can take them to the dog park again (we’re in the middle of an outbreak)

2 Likes

Goal bingo goals I have not completed and think I can:
Spell a month
12 letters to elected officials
Tarot card for each month
12 books by Black authors
Bookspin and double spin picks
Pass on nightshirt

Goal bingo goals I’m not sure I can complete but I’ll try anyway:
12 books from my own shelves
Libby holds down to 5 books
YouTube queue down to 15 videos
Make book purse

So much boring adulting, plus a fun bonus thing:

• Write back to lawyers and finish wills etc.
  • :white_check_mark: Call to cancel gas service (switching to all electric)
  • Replace clutch on car (mystery problem went away)
  • :white_check_mark: Year end donations (now in Year 3 of tweaking the same plan)
  • :white_check_mark: Plan a kid-free dinner with a bunch of mom friends with little kids (when I texted to suggest this, 6 people replied yes within 2 mins lol)
6 Likes

Oh my goodness. So many things, more than I can do in a month. But I will prioritize!

• apply for and get a new job!!!
  • that medical thing I’ve been meaning to do
  • go see a new doctor since I don’t currently have one
  • get kittens neutered
  • get everything off work laptop and onto own device
  • switch out light fixtures
  • put together nightstand
7 Likes

I’m very much in.

1. Make a list.
20 Likes

I have so so much on my list right now, so let’s set some priorities

1.Finish the basement. I started renovating it around March last year, and we are now at the ‘punchlist’ and figuring out where things belong stage.
2. Sort the closet in the Guinea Pig room. This was actually on last year’s ‘get it done December’ list. Maybe this year I’ll be successful.

4 Likes

I’m emptying my ‘storage rv’ as quickly as possible due to a shattered side window. My first priority was getting the yarn stash into the storage unit. Done.

1. Get all clothes moved out of storage RV
    Sort out all of the obvious ones to donate/trash
    Decide if I’m hanging on to the summer donate to give the homeless outreach when they need them
    Pack out of season clothes into the three duffles. What doesn’t fit into them goes away. Except my hand knit sweaters

2. Bring all the consumables (2 household’s worth of pandemic hoarding) to this RV.
    Find room

3. Clear out outside bins on current RV to make room for #2 above.

4. Sort clothes currently in this RV and find a storage solution different that piles next to the bed.

That should be a good start.

5 Likes