Garden Chat

10 Likes

Picked my garden today. I have herbs and nasturtium flowers drying in the dehydrator. I am putting aside tomatoes to roast and freeze when it gets cooler the next few days.

Deer were in our garden. I sprayed liberally with a deer repellent. It is smelly. Hopefully it works. The beggars even put their hooves in the raised beds to get at the plants! I have no tops to my beans. It’s sad.

3 Likes

I was super late planting tomatoes this year, like starting seeds in June late, so I just picked the first ripe one today.

3 Likes

What do you use the nasturtium flowers for? I have some really nice plants that I just planted because they were pretty and also to let the 4 year old eat a flower.

2 Likes

I put them in tossed salads.

1 Like

I planted super late too, I have only just started getting a few small tomatoes. I have to keep telling myself that “some” is better than “none”… :sob:

2 Likes

I remember we were planting about the same time, though I think you were a little ahead. But I’ll be picking tomatoes until December, probably – these are in our south facing atrium.

2 Likes

A friend created a Permaculture design for an acre property and recommend me to build some zone 2 garden beds. They’re made of rough sawn hardwood Ironbark sleepers, think not square/not straight/splinters/variable length and fkn heavy.

Took me two weeks, working during kids school time, so I could still do dad stuff.

I call them the shipwrecks.

14 Likes

Wow I am impressed. What are you planning to grow in them?

1 Like

The owner is planning on growing long t rm crops like potatoes, onions, garlic, pumpkin. That’s the kind of stuff Zone 2 gardens are for, visit once to twice a week type situations.

3 Likes

Oh it’s not your garden! I misread.

2 Likes

All good. If it was mine, I wouldn’t have dropped $5k just on the sleepers.

2 Likes

TIL.

When I hear zone 2 I think hardiness zone. I’m in zone 6 and I’m envious of zone 7 and 8, so putting that amount of effort into a zone 2 was blowing my mind.

2 Likes

I’m in zone 9B according to your system (when I did my PDC on our property) but Cool Temperate in our Aussie one.

The zoning for Permaculture systems are different to temperature ones and can get confusing but at least there’s only 0-5/6.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I put this on my journal but I’ll post it here as a public service announcement, too.

PSA: Check under the leaves of your cucumber plants for harvestable cukes before you go on vacation. The one on the right is not a zucchini…

10 Likes

Who else needs this tshirt?

6 Likes

Spring is sprung around here.

12 Likes

Oooh love all the flowers! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Mmmmm, glorious!