Garden Chat

I have been using a grid notebook that I had spare but am contemplating moving to OneNote.

Being able to add photos and dump information from websites into it would be helpful. Also being able to update it from wherever when I remember. My toddler thinks all notebooks are for her to scribble in, sigh. I would still be able to sketch into it on the ipad too.

2 Likes

Even more success. After three trips to Bunnings we have connected the second irrigation system to the tap. There was about a 2m gap and no connectors other than a male 18mm.

We have three lines each with two pop up sprinklers that go around the outside of the backyard. Pretty neat. One line works perfectly, one works perfectly but my vege patch is in the way, and one line is broken in two places.

Longer term plans are to repair broken line, replace pop up on obstructed line near vege patch with drippers/shrublers for vege patch.

So much fun the first time they popped up.

5 Likes

figured this would be the best place to ask: has anyone ever foraged for and cooked with acorns (like turning them into flour). and if you have, can you help me lol? I want to try this but reading what I have on it so far, it seems super overwhelming

2 Likes

I didn’t know this was a thing I wanted but now I do. I might set up a plain notebook in a bullet-journal-esque type setup? (The practical non-pretty kind).

4 Likes

Wholly Chloe on Instagram had a series of videos detailing making acorn flour a couple of years ago. It seemed time consuming but not overly difficult.

4 Likes

The seeds I planted in egg cartons failed to sprout. Maybe they got too dry? I’m going to try again with some trays I’ve got from other plants I bought. I guess I’ll be out there watering every day and crossing my fingers. I’ve also been working on improving the soil along my driveway, it should be just wide enough to plant cucumbers. If I get enough space amended I might try capsicums as well. It’s a hot narrow strip so I’ll need to water daily and add a climbing frame of some sort.

4 Likes

What’s wrong with my watermelon? The tendril died and it gave a bit when I squeezed. It’s super watery so is it just really unripe? The whole vine died anyways.

What’s the variety of melon?

Are you sure this is a watermelon? If it definitely is a melon, it looks more like a cantaloupe, in which the seeds are all at the center, rather than a watermelon, in which the seeds are distributed throughout. Although the insides (but not necessarily the rind) also look very cucumber-like. Cucumber and melon do not cross, but you do have things like Armenian cucumber (which this is not) that taste like and are eaten like a cucumber but are actually a melon. Lemon cucumbers (which this is also not) also have very large seeds at the center. Which is just me saying maybe this is something else, I guess.

1 Like

I planted ancient watermelon, Kaho watermelon, and a cantaloupe. It looks like the outside of an ancient watermelon to me.

I googled all of them, is the ancient watermelon this one?

rareseeds.com/art-combe-s-ancient-watermelon/

That one doesn’t seem to have that sort of rind, even when unripe? It does sort of have the texture of an an unripe cantaloupe though, with the radial lines and the beginnings of what look like netting, and the texture of the flesh (without being able to touch it) also looks more like a cantaloupe type than a watermelon type (that texture looks very smooth)? I don’t know though. At any rate, I suspect your season was not long enough. Most melons generally need a really long season and plenty of heat/

(Also, if they were Baker Creek seeds, as cool as their varieties are, sometimes have problems with cross pollination in their fields as they grow everything really closely. You could have gotten impure seeds, which would have resulted in some unexpected hybrid.)

1 Like

Yea I think it must’ve been a fluke seed since my others are very obviously the other two varieties.

2 Likes

I went to The Gippsland Orchid Show yesterday morning with my kids and my mum. Took lots of pictures, bought a few orchids. And mum sent me home with one she’d inherited from her mum.

6 Likes

I am anxious to get home to my Brussels sprouts and I feel like you all will understand this feeling.

5 Likes

All the dahlias have been potted up, there’s about 15 of them, will make for a good looking front garden in summer.

Picked up a few more odds and sods. Spent Tulips and Daffs for $2 a pot, with three or more bulbs per pot. Some of the daffs are Ice Kings, which we like. No idea what the tulips are, so bonus if they’re a flower we like. Also scored some deeply discounted American Elderberry plants, pot bound seems their only issue, so hopefully we can work past that issue.

Gladiolis are popping up everywhere.

Native chocolate lillies are flowering.

There is fruit on the Angel Peach.

Really loving this Pleione I picked up on the weekend.

And now we are waiting on Kid #1’s Cosmos to pop up.

Oh @HaH I was mistaken, my pots for the strawberries are the 75cm ones, you can see them next to kid #1 in the above pic.

3 Likes

Does the chocolate lily smell like chocolate? I hope your cosmos sprout! Mine are being stubborn.

I planted lobelia and satin bush under our olive trees.

Our nectarines all got eaten by something. I need to work it out so I can protect the fruit next year. No snail or slug trails, but there was shiny webbing left on the nectarine and the pear tree? I have 2 baby pears left…

I also have some illness on one branch of the pear tree. Fungus? Mould?

But my baby limes are still growing!

And hopefully the Tarpan strawberry has fruit as nice as the flowers

2 Likes

Not sure on the chocolate lily smell, I’m not the best sniffer, I’ll get my wife onto it and get back to you.

The pear does look like it’s suffering from a mould. Has it got wet feet?

Sort of? It’s in a selfwatering pot. I try not to water too often. This is the only branch that looks like this, the other 3 are completely healthy.

2 Likes

Unlikely to be from wet feet if only one of four branches is affected.

Brussels sprout…sprouts.

6 Likes