Garden Chat

We would have to change our shopping habits to get them. We do shop at woolies a lot as it is walking distance but rarely spend over $30.

I like that it’s different to the usual plastic crap but the cynic in me also thinks that woolies is well aware that having a plastic crap promotion immediately before this one will contribute to this one’s success.

Which is the rare/desirable seed?

3 Likes

I’ve been donating ours to the daycare as we’ve got enough plants at home without adding to the collection.

2 Likes

I’m a little less cynical about this - I do detest the child targeted marketin - but I strongly suspect Woolies got a lot of negative feedback on the previous promotion. Same for Coles.

Note sure if there is one? A quick look at the secondary market on ebay shows they go for about $2/packet with no high priced ones (aka golden lion king ooshie or Incredible Hulk Disk).

1 Like

Here is the sad state of my former garden after a year of neglect and several hours of baby squirrel-planted tree digging…

It can only get better from here, eh :slight_smile:

5 Likes

All I heard was BABY SQUIRRELS! aww.

@pdm nope I am just planting seeds into egg cartons. I can’t be arsed with any of their promotions.

3 Likes

I respect that. I’m mostly into it for the pots. I view it as a “free” way to get this:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/jiffy-easy-starter-set_p2961314

1 Like

The days tasks completed in the garden.

Also bought 4 x Tomato hoops for the Herbaceous Peonies that were big enough to start needing support.

1 Like

It slightly changed my shopping habits, I go to coles or woolies depending on whats nearest to me when I decide I need to go to the shops but I went to Woolies last week even though coles was slightly more convenient, and i also had some 10% off promo for woolies linked to my rewards card. Not too sure why though

3 Likes

I am, sort of. I’ve been collecting them, and planted out a few for fun, but the main reasons I’m collecting them are:

• A friend is using them for her students at a low income school who want to garden and learn the basics of plant bio, so collecting for them; and
  • I want this to be the most successful giveaway campaign the big two have ever done, as a signal that Australians would prefer something useful and somewhat environmentally friendly to more plastic crap.

I haven’t needed to change our shopping habits to do it.

4 Likes

My redonkulous wild sunflowers. The ones in the garden proper grow to around 8’ tall. Pollinator attractor extraordinaire. And later finches. And they break up the clay with massive roots and detoxify soil. A+ 10/10 I let them grow every year.

9 Likes

Mrs PDM snapped this shot of us gardening earlier today. Putting in potted colour for the bees. At least that’s what I was doing. Dunno about the other two.

9 Likes

Seed Freaks are shipping to WA. I tagged a couple of you in the post on the gram, but I’m sure there are others interested.

3 Likes

Here is the end result. We’ll see how they go, soil is a bit shit there and I didn’t have a lot of mulch to use.

6 Likes

Nothing a trip to #thebiggreenshed on the weekend can’t fix.

1 Like

My black bell pepper fruited! My plants got eaten last summer and I didn’t remember I had planted it this year, so I was surprised to see my mystery plant growing a baby black bell pepper.

3 Likes

Cleaned up the garden bed today and harvested the pumpkins. Took out my giant marigold flowers. The tallest was about 5.5 feet! Husband could barely get it with the pruning shears. I couldn’t get any with them, but could rip the others out.

4 Likes

I’ve been having fun doing more garden designing. I think we are going to rip out a few bushes and cover the whole back wall in grapes. So 5 more maybe? Unsure of what flavors we want still. We currently have 2 and it’s so nice to see the vines instead of an ugly block wall. Is there a companion plant for grapes that I should be growing under them?

2 Likes

Checked my garden today and I’ve got Brussels sprout sprouts! So exciting. It also looks like I’ve got a tiny strawberry sprout from the plant I got on BN that died. So maybe next year I’ll get strawberries? Who knows.

I cleaned up the porch so that bobbin and I can spend time out there as the weather cools, pretty jazzed about that.

5 Likes

US-based gardeners, as you start cleaning up your gardens and planning for next year (or is that only me, planning next spring before I’ve harvested this year’s green tomatoes?), would anyone be interested in doing a late winter/early spring OMD seed swap? Get rid of your extra seeds and try some new varieties for the cost of postage!

I would probably start a new thread/private group message/Google doc rather than clutter up this thread, but thought I’d check for interest first.

2 Likes

Just bought eighteen more strawberry plants. I also have seeds to start new plants with. Turns out that once you’ve had “real” strawberries, supermarket ones will not meet your standards and you will be forced to turn your entire outdoor area into a strawberry farm. I may also have bought myself a fruit tree, and one for a friend.

I want more blueberry plants, but can’t order those online thanks to quarantine.

And I’m still working on a wish list in case we get out to a nursery this long weekend.

8 Likes