Garden Chat

runs out to buy another 50 blueberry bushes and 20 strawberries I do not have enough…

3 Likes

Hmmm I think I’m just happy if baby PDM gets to pick the odd one and eat it. He didn’t seem to love it to be honest. Not cold like the ones from the fridge?

On a related matter, I picked a lettuce leaf and gave it to my 6 yo nephew to try. He asked “is it fresh?”. Damn it son, you literally saw me pick it. You were standing right there. Kids are stupid.

2 Likes

I have this and more (60+ blueberries at last count and 30+ strawberries), and yes, it’s not enough for my two kids.

So I have a packet of Alpine Strawberry seeds ready to be planted out, hopefully that’ll give me enough plants…

1 Like

Been a tough month for gardening weather wise. Watering a lot to keep plants happy in dry, hotter than average and windy conditions. 3.2mm of rain for the whole of August and none so far in September.
It seems worse because everywhere is on fire.

1 Like

Used the pot and soil I set aside for the Eureka Lemon to pot up the Hansen Tangerine today.

Feed almost all the pots out the front of our place and the neighbours today. Ran out of manure, will pick up another 5 bags on Friday when I’m out at Gembrook. Did get to water in the manure later in the day.

#thebiggreenshed has stocked up on Dahlia bulbs, so while I was in there today I picked up a few interesting looking ones. Will pot them up with the rest of the ones I already have this week.

1 Like

My marigolds have germinated!

3 Likes

Bee attracting flower seeds - 1 week later.

Grow my pretties…grow!

3 Likes

Sadly the plants weren’t that good. However I have the inside line on a wholesale nursery out this way.

4 Likes

3 Likes

We pruned a tree of some limbs and another tree of some mulberries.

1 Like

Bought and planted out a few bits and pieces for the front yard today. Also let Ewok scatter seeds around, so who knows what will result from that.

1 Like

My local plant place told me that Brussels sprouts are an ideal crop for this time of year in our climate. And that they have a variety good for containers and full sun. Since I have dying basil in containers in my porch that gets full sun I bought some. Now I need the motivation to plant them.

In lieu of getting outside to plant them I am googling the how-to since I’ve never done plants from seed before. I think my approach will be as follows: remove basil from containers. Add more potting soil and mix up/loosen the soil. Plant 2-3 seeds in each hole(½” deep), spaced a few inches apart. Wait for them to grow to 5-7 inches tall and then spread them out more.

Is this a reasonable approach?

4 Likes

I think you don’t want to spread them out, you want to thin them by pinching off the extras. Other than that, sounds like a plan!

My goal for this week is to get some seeds & soil into egg cartons. Then I can plant the whole thing out once they’re big enough for me to find them later… And hopefully big enough to fend off bugs, but I’m not that optimistic.

3 Likes

PTF!

Spent most of Saturday cruising around the north east of the city with a friend. We visited the Australian Plant Show, walked out with a used book on composting for $5 and some unknown to me Bird Orchids (one for me, one for mum), in this case the Dainty Bird Orchid, Chiloglottis trapeziformis https://vicflora.rbg.vic.gov.au/flora/taxon/1308002e-1db6-4518-94d0-c985492a5e79 She picked up a massive pot of orchids, just about to flower and a few other choice low growing natives for her front garden.

Went to a number of other nurseries on our roundabout way home. I picked up a replacement Moorpark Apricot for the one dad killed, a Purple fruited Chokeberry, Saskatoon, African Basil, Chocolate Lily, Bulbine Lily, Murnong, Count de Brazza Violet, White Soul Alpine Strawberry, a Purple Ranunculus.

Today was the Pentridge Community Garden Plant Sale and I picked up three different orchids for $10 total.

Early I’d swung past #thebiggreenshed and bought another pot and bags of soil for repotting the Moorpark. Managed to get that done today. Also managed, between rain showers, to top off all the pots in the backyard with sheep manure.

Potted up the following: Purple Asparagus, Borage, White Soul.

Harvested: Four Cumquat varieties, Meiwa, Marumi, Green & Myrtifolia, picked Tangelos.

Pruned: Seville Orange, Yuzu Lemon, Cara Cara Blood Orange, Meiwa, Marumi

Have had new flowers open up over the weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Yi0R1F8NF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2YjKx5FzSa/

1 Like

We ate more mulberries today and prodded the unripe strawberries.

I have a blueberry Bush in the ground that I haven’t seen flower in the past 18 months. Thinking about digging it up and potting it because I suspect it would like some nicer soil.

1 Like

Better flowers than in my garden.

4 Likes

The blueberry bushes that languished in my garden are doing much better in self-watering pots with the special azalea etc potting mix.

2 Likes

They certainly like the more acidic soil and wet feet IME.

And further to yesterday’s cumquat harvest. They’re currently getting marmed.

4 Likes

So one for the fellow Aussies - anyone else getting into the Woolies seed thingies?

I’m probably going to use them as intended for maybe 1 or 2 for Baby PDM’s amusement, then ditch the rest of their seeds and use the pots and soil pellet for my own seed sprouting needs.

Overall, a much better promotion than the Lion King plastic toy give away or the tiny plastic version of groceries one. For the non-Aussies - our supermarket market is dominated by two main chains (Coles and Woolworths) and they have regular promotions where they’ve typically given away plastic crap to lure in kids - and parents by pester power. One thingy per $30 spent.

This hasn’t changed our shopping habits - we usual go to Woolies - so is a nice bonus.

The 24 seeds available seem to be the same nationwide and don’t account for any climatic changes.

4 Likes