FOR FUN: Things that took you way too long to realize

I thought it was bread too… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I was one week ago years old today when I realized that sandpaper is literally PAPER with SAND adhered to it. (I mean, nowadays it is other stuff, but originally it was sand (and some other stuff) and that is where the name came from).

And that the etymology of the verb TO SAND is reflective of that (because, otherwise, WTF, to SAND?)

OH, ENGLISH.

9 Likes

We had very different childhoods, sandpaper-wise. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

I definitely used sandpaper many times in my life (and when I was a kid, though not a ton :wink: ), I just… never thought about it? lol.

3 Likes

OMG! TOILET PAPER,

5 Likes

Oh geez.

The floodgates are open. :joy::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Wallpaper…

4 Likes

Fireplace…

Where do you put the fire?
You know, in the fire… uh… PLACE.

:scream:

7 Likes

Dickhead
(Oh, wait…)

13 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

I also thought it was bread!

2 Likes

This is kind of ironic as I have Celiac disease. :rofl:

12 Likes

@Greyweld’s fish related post in the tiny complaints thread reminded me of something it took my husband and my father too long to realize. After being together for almost a decade, the hubs and I followed through on our plan to get married. We were discussing RSVPs with my parents. My father and his siblings have strange nicknames for one another. For some reason, his sister’s nickname is Fish. In a discussion about our guest list, my father mentioned that he spoke to Patty, and that she will attend the wedding. My husband looked at him blankly. Our guest list was small. He wondered to himself, who the heck is Patty? So he asked, Who is Patty? My Dad said, Patty is my sister, you goof! Slowly the realization dawned on both of them. My husband said, you mean Fish??? It was then that my husband learned my aunt isn’t named for a gill bearing aquatic creature and my father realized that my husband is an idiot (I am kidding about the idiot part. Neither my father nor I think that about hubs). My aunt, on the other hand, earns the reference in the music video that Greyweld included in the fish post.

18 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

:laughing: what a great story

1 Like

Roughly two months ago I realized that the lyrics in The Tragically Hip’s song Bobcageon did not in fact mean that they had been listening to old Willie Nelson records the night before while drinking wine.

3 Likes

I was aware of Tragically Hip in the 90s but this is my first exposure to that song. Why weren’t they listening to Willie and drinking wine? (Were they perhaps enjoying Willie’s favorite indulgence?)

2 Likes

I suspect that was the intended meaning. Especially given that it is the Hip.

“I left your house this morning
'Bout a quarter after nine
Coulda been the Willie Nelson
Coulda been the wine”

3 Likes

Do I lose my Canadian status for admitting I’m not a Hip fan? To be clear, I liked them for their first EP ( I love Last American Exit) and saw them in an empty bar on that tour, and then after their first album did not enjoy them. I did watch their farewell show in a park in Charlottetown, PEI on vacation - and reaffirmed I am not a fan.

6 Likes

I grew up in Canada and also do not like The Hip :joy:

2 Likes