FOR FUN: Things that took you way too long to realize

OH MY GOD.

This will change my life.

2 Likes

OMFG. I am indefensible years old and learning this.

1 Like

WHAT. Aluminum foil end locks!

I feel like this thread is going to change my life.

2 Likes

Everyone in this thread right now learning about tabs on foil packets:

14 Likes

Today I learned that Betty Gilpin and Missi Pyle are two different people :flushed:

1 Like

My most memorable one is a few years ago I realized that a word that sounds exactly like “eau-de-cologne” in my native language actually meant…cologne. In my defense, native language has a different alphabet?

8 Likes

Mine are all Disney related right now. But it took me way too long to realize the Disney D is actually a D. Also now that I have Disney+ and am rewatching all my old favorites I’m enjoying all the jokes they threw in for the adults. Like Robin Williams talking about ancient Tupperware seals at the beginning of Aladdin. I completely missed those as a kid

4 Likes

Moo?

My best friend in high school though “several” was just another word for seven until she was 21

7 Likes

I was in my late late twenties when I learned that people drive on the right side of the road in the US. At work, someone was talking about a recent road trip in the US and I asked if it was not too difficult to drive “differently” and they were confused…
I always thought that every English speaking country drove on the left side of the road :woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

When I was a small person my mom would tell me that the bay leaf in the stew or chili that she made was poison and not to eat it. I only learned in college as a senior that this was not true.

12 Likes

My mom told me this too!!! What kind of conspiracy nonsense is this hmph

5 Likes

I knew that metal things had rivets. Everything else here is just 🤷💣🤷

10 Likes

Just remembered one from my sister hehe:

Years ago I played a flute solo called “Danse de la chèvre.” My sister for a long time thought that “chèvre” could only mean “goat cheese.” Even now we still affectionately call this piece “Dance of the goat cheese” instead of “Dance of the goat” (ie the god Pan) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

16 Likes

OMG, bahahahaha. Y’all did not disappoint.

4 Likes

Just thought of one today. I was late to the Hamilton parade but I really like it and listen to it a lot. One day a few months ago I was listening to it and I realized that Hercules Mulligan says “I got y’all knuckleheads in loco parentis” Because he’s an orphan and a bunch of them are orphans and they have each other instead of parents. Factually I had known that he and Hamilton were orphans but I just didn’t catch that those were the words he was saying and it blew my mind.

10 Likes

Gen pop = general population, not a type of pop music. I learnt that last week.

13 Likes

I was today years old when I realised that @LifeInBalance’s profile pic is a cat, not a fancy loaf of bread.

16 Likes

LOL. I laughed so suddenly it scared the kitty in question off my lap.

12 Likes

Omg I thought it was bread! A sourdough boule was my guess.

4 Likes