FOR FUN: Things that took you way too long to realize

For me the Hip are very neutral, and I own a couple of albums by default because they were popular when I was buying cds 2nd hand. Background noise that I didn’t really have an opinion about one way or the other, but could be put on if people were visiting.

I don’t dislike them, I don’t like them. Their music exists.

4 Likes

I agree. And didn’t particularly care when the singer died. (as with any celeb)

2 Likes

I am a bit late to the party but I didnt realise until about 2004 that Y2K stood for year 2000

I just thought it was random computer person speak for something.

I was reminded of this while reading Attachments for the May bookclub

14 Likes

I just learnt that slaters (what I call them) = pill bugs, wood louse/lice. This brought to you by a post on facebook claiming that, since they are terrestrial crustaceans, they taste like prawns (shrimp).

5 Likes

I saw that post

I don’t remember how old I was, but it was the day I figured out why they called it 1,000 island dressing. I just thought it was from a part of the world that was called 1,000 islands…

6 Likes

Why is it called that?!

I thought it was from the 1,000 islands region of NY?

3 Likes

It is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Island_dressing

1 Like

TIL there’s a place called thousand islands.

3 Likes

I know there’s a place called 1,000 islands and that’s what I thought. But one day I looked at this sauce with all these little cubes in it and went… DOH! But of course, now all I can find is completely blended sauce.

So, maybe my thing it took me far too long to learn is that I had it right to begin with?

Old age is a bizarre thing sometimes.

Along this same line. DH is from the midwest. I was raised in SoCal. We discovered there were things we had different ideas about: bumblebees and yellow jackets were two. He thought bumblebees were always black and yellow jackets were bees/wasps that looked like they had vests on. Me? bumbleebees were any big, fuzzy bees. Yellow jackers were wasps.

Don’t get me started about mittens. That was a royal row. And I was wrong, but how could I know? I’d never had a mitten in my life.

7 Likes

Wait, I want to know more about the mittens. Aren’t those just the floofy hand covers with a thumb?

3 Likes

That pancakes are literally cakes…that you make in a pan. Mind BLOWN.

11 Likes

Also that “balls to the walls” or “balls out” is not an inappropriate term. It is an engineering term and I can use it as often as I want and not get fired. The background of that idiom is below:

With maximum effort, energy, or speed, and without caution or restraint. The phrase most likely originated as an railroad engineering term, referring to the mechanical governor of steam locomotives, which has two weighted steel balls that extend to the “balls out” position when at maximum speed. While it does not in fact refer to testicles, it should be used with caution because of this popular association.

11 Likes

The only mittens I’d ever seen were on kittens in a nursery rhyme book. The illustration showed them as knitted. I decided that knitted gloves = mittens. And, until I was 30 or so, that’s how I used the word. When we moved to New England, DH and I had a fight almost because he told me I needed to buy mittens and I had, but I hadn’t. I’d bought knitted gloves.

Since he was raised with snow and snow gear, to him it was brain-dead simple. Gloves were gloves and mittens were mittens. But I was raised in SoCal, and the only place I’d ever seen the word used was in that nursery rhyme book on the kittens. And I’d never had to buy snow gloves before.

Eventually, we both laughed about it, but at first, I was near tears and confused, because I thought I’d done what he said. He was annoyed because he’d had reasons he’d told me to buy mittens, and I hadn’t, and why was I being stubborn about it? It’s simple, right?

It is simple, if you actually know what the word means. Or, if you think it’s something it isn’t – and you know that you have it wrong. I still think of knitted gloves as mittens, but now I know better and if I misspeak, I can and do correct myself. I like my definition better. Gloves without fingers to me are just … weird and slightly sinister. But knitted gloves/“mittens” are warm and cheery.

The human brain is a wonderful and weird beast!

This one, I think?
nursury tales book

Probably way more than you wanted to know!

7 Likes

Poor little kittens

2 Likes

Ok, I know I’m hella behind the times here but I was reading this thread cuz it’s funny and I actually know the answer to this!

Bay leaves are hella stiff and sharp and can actually hurt you a little if you swallow them. Thus your mom’s explanation, probably? (Forgive me if you also already know THiS and I’m just being a derp).

6 Likes

I believe I was about 28 when I realized the lyrics “You spin my head right round right round etc.” were not about how the singer spun around to look at a person who was dancing and “dropping it” with panache…

8 Likes