Flowers! 🌺 🌷 🌸 🌹

It is part of a huge redevelopment atm, but the trees have orange fencing around them. I only risked the walk because it just rained and it is the weekend. Otherwise the dust and trucks are next level.

2 Likes

11 Likes

My tree is pretty!

13 Likes

My mom has perennials that have been nibbled to the ground by deer and possibly also rabbits. If I spray them might they grow back? And will they still flower this summer? There are no flowers yet, only the leaves were eaten so far.

1 Like

My 3 week old annual seedlings are looking good! My perennial seedlings are much smaller, I assume that’s normal though. I maybe could have started those earlier, but I think it might have been too cold in my garage any earlier even with heat mats.

Can I remove them from the heat mats now? If so, do they still need to be under grow lights? It’s still only 50 overnight and they are in my uninsulated garage.

1 Like

Yes you can remove them from heat mats, and yes they need grow lights still until you take them outside! I’ve started putting my annuals outside to harden off during the day for a couple of hours (start in dappled shade).

2 Likes

Thanks!

11 Likes

Just got more seeds planted. I’m getting very excited for pretty flowers and have to keep telling myself it’s still like 2 months away!

2 Likes

8 Likes

I spent all of last summer fighting the blooming onions, I cannot like this post. (learn from my mistake, don’t let them go to seed/put them into your compost)

1 Like

Wait… why not? Am I going to have many regrets?

I’m not too worried, right now it’s in a spot where it’s competing with invasives that we are really not excited about (so much mugwort. so much.).

1 Like

It loved my garden lots and lots. And then the leaves droop down and outcompeted the violets and geraniums and day lilies. Advantage is that they’re easier to control later than the english ivy or the vinca. I’d say just be clear about where you want them, and remove them from where you don’t - don’t let them go feral. Also, they will stain your clothing orange if you cut or bruise them.

1 Like

Good tips - thanks.

1 Like

I’m curious if these look good or if there’s anything I should do differently? It’s a mix of flower types so I assume they all grow at different speeds. They are 4 weeks old, and were on heat mats for 3 because I didn’t know I was supposed to take them off. (Last year was my first and I left them on heat mats the entire time.) Do they look ok, or should I move the lights closer? Or do anything else? They are LED lights and I think about 16” above.

3 Likes

they look pretty good to me! maybe a little bit leggy – moving the lights closer would make them not have to stretch so far and possibly get a little beefier.

4 Likes

My alliums have been in for six years and have never spread, so you’ll probably be ok, and they are so much prettier than mugwort!

1 Like

May is Iris Month for me. My focus for the entire month is weeding and deadheading iris, charting and moving stray clumps, placing orders for iris and showing iris.

Here is a view of my iris beds.

11 Likes

I just finished a series of iris shows where I won best in show twice with exactly the same cultivar called “Bashful Look.” It is a pretty pink iris with a blue beard. It has a strong stem and near perfect bud placement.

I won “sweepstakes” at all three shows, which means I had the most blue ribbons of any exhibitor. I usually enter 12 to 25 stems in each show.

16 Likes

I know! My alliums all bloom reliably, but they don’t spread. I don’t understand it because I have garden club friends who say their alliums are always increasing.

4 Likes