Financial Hogwarts Houses Central (was "March of Time" Tracking Challenge)

Last week I definitely missed tracking some of the reading I did. I tracked just under 2 hours in Life Cycle, but it was definitely more than that. Probably another hour.

Running was way less this week: around 5 hours. Slow start to week due to recovering from 50-miler last weekend, then twisted my ankle badly on Thursday and took a couple days off.

Did a 1 hour gym class Wednesday morning, but no working out from home.

Work was down to just over 53 hours, which was about what I expected given loss of pet sitting and not picking up a Thursday shift.

2 Likes

I’ve almost done about the same amount of work this morning that I normally do in a given work day. This does not speak well to my usual work habits, which I kind of knew already but eesh.

4 Likes

I’m actually wildly productive today because I straight up am only doing one job, and I stopped checking the news.

(Also my day job is SLAMMED because we do bus schedules, for a lot of intercity and academic transit agencies, and a huge portion of them are shutting down service. So there’s so much work coming in I have to be focused.)

5 Likes

The episode with Laura now has a transcript:

3 Likes

OK, I have my Toggl report!

Predictions:

• 4 hours a week of chores
  • 20 hours a week of meaningful parenting time
  • 10 hours a week reading (usually while eating)
  • 2 hours a week friend time
  • 8 hours a week writing/writing-related work

Actual:

• 1:44 of chores
  • 12:05 of playing with the wiggler (plus half an hour a day of bedtime routine, which I did not track in Toggl, comes to 15:35)
  • 2:47 of reading (I know this is under-counted, but I still underestimated by a lot!)
  • 1:30 of friend time
  • 2:32 of writing work

The lesson I have learned is that I don’t do enough. Or possibly don’t track enough. Or maybe just wildly overestimate my time.

Oh, and one thing that is cutting down on my reading time: The overhead light in our kitchen stopped working, just in time for it to be completely dark in the mornings when I’m eating breakfast, and also to not want to get an electrician into the house to fix things. We have some other lights in the kitchen, but they don’t reach the table. So I can’t read a paper book during breakfast or often during dinner.

I’m going to try to keep up the Toggl tracking for a few more weeks in hopes that a) I get more in the habit of turning it on and off at the appropriate times and b) life calms down and gets back to normal (or a new normal).

2 Likes

Candlelight brekkie reading? Or too dangerous with the wiggler?

2 Likes

Wiggler + Gandalf = DANGER.

I am pondering a rearrangement of the kitchen that might allow me to set up a floor lamp that isn’t currently in use somewhere that if the wiggler knocks it down it’s not going to break anything else.

2 Likes

Week 2

Actual:

Summary

Sleep: 59

Work: 63 hours

TV/phone time, including having it on in the background when I’m working: 31 hours

Family Time:
Drive: 13 hours

Exercise:
Walking: 1 hour
Stretching: 1 hour

Household:
Food prep: 3.5 hours (active time)
Eating: 4 hours
Shopping: 1 hour

Me time:
Reading: 3.5 hours
Meditation: 3.5 hours
Accupuncture: 1 hour
Miscellaneous (Hygiene, journaling, listening to podcasts, etc): 5 hours

2 Likes

Week hours 11 report

A little late but here is the report for last week. I’m still using the 15mns spreadsheet to track and it takes around half an hour a day.

• I averaged 7.93 hrs of sleep per day; so close to 8 hours!!
  • I spent 9 hours exercising and I’m really happy about that.
  • I spent 11.75 hrs taking care of myself (eating, hygiene, education, etc.). There were only 1.75 hours ‘resting’ compared to 7 hours the previous week.
  • I spent 48.75 hours at work or going to work. There were 12.25 hrs commuting as tehre were delays on public transportation last week. I wasn’t productive a lot as there were a lot of breaks (probably spent talking with colleagues about COVID19)
  • I spent 10% of my time with family and that was an improvement compared to week 10. I spent 4 hours of quality time with the kids and 1.25 hrs talking to my siblings.
  • Still a lot of chores!! 11 hours taking care of the kids, 4.25 cooking,1 hour cleaning the house and 1.75 hour taking care of administrative tasks.
  • I have only 6 hours of entertainment compared to 13 hrs last week. I spent 3 hours online and 4 hours watching TV (mostly news about COVID19). I’d like to replace the 4 hours of TV by some reading.
2 Likes

Weekly breakdown to come later, but in the meantime…

HUGE thank you @anomalily . I just filed my first claim for unemployment and needed to include hours worked on my side gig. 100% thanks to this challenge, I had exact numbers to report.

8 Likes

Umm, this is great. This challenge has felt rather…silly…in the wake of how things developed this month, but I’m delighted to hear it made a difference on something relevant to this crisis.

7 Likes

Just under 45 hours worked this week, though next week will be fewer :sob:.

2 hours 40 minutes reading books
7 hours 50 minutes running
2 hours 50 minutes walking Woody

Thought I would have read more, but I spent more time than usual last week being paralyzed and upset :woman_shrugging: One hour of that reading was in Spanish though!

4 Likes

Made $400 this week, clocked in 16 hours. Total rate $25/hour.

2 Likes

Seems a bit silly checking in right now but I finally added up my totals for Week 2 (Week 3 will be added up tonight). Real weird week, interstate work course plus corona-panic caused more tv time and phone time than normal. Also more walking time, so yay?

In bed (I can’t track sleep and there was a lot of restless lying in bed over the last 2 weeks): 57.5
Work (on a course, so it looks a bit low as travel time is part of work hours this week): 20.25
Internets: 9.5
Flights (great timing, work): 12.25
Volunteering: 2.25
Chores: 2.5
Reading: 1.75 (Real low this week)
Eating: 13.75 (had a work dinner so this sounds massive)
Hygiene: 4.75
Social: 6
Exercise: 9.25 (lots of walking)
In cars/taxis: 4.75
TV: 14 (way too high but a weird week)
Public transport (includes waiting): 3
Derby: 2.25
Unlogged: 4.5

Total 168.25

2 Likes

Week 3

Actual:

Summary

Sleep: 41.5 hours

Work: 55 hours

TV/phone time, including having it on in the background when I’m working: 88.5 hours

Family Time:
Drive: 2.5 hours
Hanging out: 1 hour

Household:
Food prep: 3 hours (active time)
Eating: 4 hours

Me time:
Reading: 3.5 hours
Meditation: 3.5 hours
Miscellaneous (Hygiene, journaling, listening to podcasts, etc): 8 hours

1 Like
Predictions

Sleep: 56 hours
Getting ready for work: 3 hours
Commute: 0 hours
Work: 40 hours
Lunch breaks: 2.5 hours
Running: 6 hours
Other exercise: 0.5 hours
Cooking/baking: 2 hours
Laundry: 1 hour
Housework: 4 hours
House projects: 0 hours
Watching tv/movies: 8 hours
Reading: 2 hours
Shopping (for groceries and other household things): 0 hours
Board games: 3 hours
Crafting: 4 hours
Scooping kitty litter: 1 hour
Browsing on phone: 10 hours
Getting ready for bed: 2 hours

Actual

Sleep: 54 hours
Getting ready for work: 3.5 hours
Commute: 0 hours
Running: 3.75 hours
Other exercise: 0 hours
Cooking/baking: 0.5 hours
Laundry: 2 hours
Housework: 3 hours
House projects: 0 hours
Watching tv/movies: 13.5 hours
Reading: 4 hours
Shopping (for groceries and other household things): 0 hours
Board games: 3.5 hours
Crafting: 3 hours
Scooping kitty litter: 0.5 hour
Browsing on phone: 6 hours

Predictions for next week

Sleep: 56 hours
Getting ready for work: 3 hours
Running: 6 hours
Other exercise: 0.5 hours
Cooking/baking: 1 hour
Laundry: 2 hours
Housework: 4 hours
Watching tv/movies: 10 hours
Reading: 3 hours
Board games: 3 hours
Crafting: 4 hours
Scooping kitty litter: 1 hour
Browsing on phone: 5 hours

2 Likes

I’m still tracking! Though more hours are getting lost. I went from ~40hrs of “other” to ~50 hours of “other”. Exercise is not looking so good!

Week 3 Hours
sleep 61
hitting snooze 2.75
work 34.5 (10.75 hrs of meetings)
exercise 1.25
eating 6
social 4.75
volunteer 4.75
in car 2.5
other 50.5
1 Like
Week 3

I am still tracking but…not doing amazing on it during the weekends.

Screenshot of time spent on computers, including time watching Emma this weekend, and binging BBC Pride & Prejudice:

Week 3 Hours
sleep 58
scrolling in bed without getting up/hitting snooze 3
job #1 41.25
job #2 16.75
OMD 9.75
Forums 5.25
Reading Twitter And Stressing SO much 5.25
Food-Related 5.25
Watching entertainment (many while meal prepping) 10
Political Volunteering 2
exercise 5
social 2.5
2 Likes

an interesting trend: I’ve spent much less time eating because more and more social distancing is happening, and restaurants are closed! what an interesting time to be tracking :open_mouth:

3 Likes