Financial Hogwarts Houses Central (was "March of Time" Tracking Challenge)

I have lost 3 days so now I don’t know if I will continue. I did ok at the beginning, but before I lost the days they consisted largely of “internet browsing”. :confused:

1 Like

I only tracked for a few days last week so I’m not reporting out. Started again this morning.

I’ve noticed have some uh expectations on what’s a good way to spend my time and what’s not. This week I’m going to try and de-stigmatize that and observe without judgement. There’s so much focus on productivity and goals and achievement and right now (and not just right now), there are times when there’s no way. And that’s got to be OK too.

1 Like

Not related to time tracking… but for those who would like an April challenge, er, what should we do?

3 Likes

Something related to CREATIVITY. :wink: Not that that has anything to do with finance. I just need motivation to work on my PROJECT in a concrete way. :wink: :wink: :wink:

3 Likes

I actually was thinking about, even before this,

“April Digital Spring Cleaning”

@aaronpk suggested this, but doing things like utilizing a password manager, setting up 2FA on accounts, setting up cloud backups, etc. Since so many people are now working from home, it sounds like a good idea.

Is that not fun enough though?

3 Likes

I’ve already got this pretty well dialed in… so less personally interesting to me.

That being said, I’m not the only human here. :slight_smile: So this might be really useful to some folks.

2 Likes

I’m pretty good compared to most, but I need to go through all my passwords that have been reused - especially for accounts I no longer worry about or pre-date using a password manager, like old one-off gmails - because that’s a way for hackers to get + target other accounts. My password manager says I have 127 reused passwords, out of 1014 total passwords.

I was also thinking about the fact that I have, oh, I dunno, 1.5 TB worth of SD cards that aren’t all necessarily backed up and definitely aren’t organized. But dealing with those seems…intimidating.

I was also thinking about doing it for my radio station becuase the digital security there is a mess.

4 Likes

1014 passwords. :dies:

Oh lord yeah I bet the station’s a mess. Companies are always a mess, even if they have good security protocol.

2 Likes

Not to mention if they were run by a bunch of volunteers for the first 3 years…

Remember that I have a bazillion jobs, 2 companies of my own, I travel hack so I have a lot of CCs, and also a lot of volunteer stuff… so, yea, a lot of logins :wink: For just paypal alone I have 11 logins/passwords.

4 Likes

I repeat:

:dies:

7 Likes

Nothing about my lifestyle is smart or recommendable except, like…meal prepping and drinking water.

4 Likes

Summary: I slept a lot last week (8.54hr per day), I didn’t work a lot (50% compared to usual), I spent a lot of time online or watching TV (22.75 hrs!!!), I did a lot of chores such as cleaning the house, taking care of the kids or cooking, and I spent a lot of time with my family (with the kids, talking to my siblings, parents and cousins). Apart of the work part, I’m okay with how I spent my time. I’ve already started getting back to normal worked hours this week so it’s all good. Hopefully I’ll read books this week instead of endlessly browsing COVID19’s news.

1 Like

Yea, this week time tracking, beyond my standard rescuetime, sleep tracking, exercise time tracking, and my day job (billed hours), are not happening.

I just feel like knowing is not helping me more than it is stressing me out right now because nothing feels permanent.

4 Likes

Yep, it was somewhat helpful in the beginning before the plague was really a thing, but I’m too far into “burn it all down” territory mentally for tracking to be helpful. Maybe next March?

2 Likes

Yes yes, life will be normal again.

RIGHT? RIGHT??!!

Still tracking my work time - job #1 I have billable hours so I can’t avoid it, and job #2 I like to make sure I’m not working over my 15 hours a week. OMD I just like to know.

But for real life things, honestly, I don’t give a crap how many hours I spend watching BBC miniseries or Rupaul’s drag race right now. Isn’t gonna change anything.

4 Likes

Yes. Life will be normal by next March. Maybe not back to 2019 normal. Hopefully better, even if society is still recovering.

2 Likes

I never thought those two words would be used together to imply a higher level of normal.

9 Likes

I feel like there’s a machine out there that keeps increasing the ridiculousness of everything bit by bit to see how much we can take.

9 Likes

Summary: The main improvement over last week is that I’ve spent 3 hours mediating. I’ve been doing the 30 days meditation challenge by Meowmalade and it helps me sleep easier instead of 'resting (i.e. being anxious about COVID-19). I’ve also managed to work more hours this week, I only track hours worked though. I used to track breaks and time spent online while in the office as work related, now I spent that time with family or doing chores so it’s in other categories. So it’s getting closer to the number of productive hours I had at work, which is good as we’ll stay in quarantine for a while. The entertainment is still taking a lot of hours. I spent 7 hours watching TV (the Indian Doctor and the news), 9 hours reading (yay!!) and 6 hours online (mostly OMD). I’d like to spend less time in this forum and watching TV. So I’ll manage things differently for the next week. There were less time with family this week as we’re getting used to this new normal. I still slept a lot; or at least I plan to as I’m still not in bed.
I’ll post a monthly summary on Tuesday and I’ll probably continue tracking in April but I’ll track only 3 categories (exercise, work, time spent online) that I want to follow. I’m really glad I started doing this exercise as it is very enlightening. When we return to some kind of ‘normal’ I’ll probably resume tracking for a whole month to make some decisions. Thanks @anomalily for introducing me to the idea of budgeting my time.

1 Like

Week 4:
Actual:

Summary

Sleep: 55 hours

Work: 18 hours

TV/phone time, including having it on in the background when I’m working: 80 hours

Family Time:
Drive: 2.5 hours
Hanging out, including zoom and facetime with family: 3.5 hour

Household:
Food prep: 4.5 hours (active time)
Eating: 4 hours

Me time:
Reading: 3.5 hours
Meditation: 3.5 hours
Miscellaneous (Hygiene, journaling, listening to podcasts, etc): 6 hours

2 Likes