Eat Down the Pantry: August 2019

I usually just do a can of coconut milk + some red curry paste + stir fry veggies n shrimp. It’s pretty simplistic. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m a bit late to the Worcestershire discussion, but I need to call attention to this. Do you have vegan Worcestershire? If not, your soup became un-vegan by the addition of the sauce (it has something fishy in it).

1 Like

I pressure cooked a batch of chicken that has been sitting in my freezer for ages, and we ate most of that as part of lunches over the week.

The freezer is just a cold pantry, right?

2 Likes

I made a big list of random stuff in the pantry to use up and so far I’ve used one thing from it. Must do some meal planning for this coming week…

1 Like

Sprouts had a sale on some frozen food, so it’s ok I stocked up because it’s not the pantry right :laughing:

Made spinach dip and sweet sour black bean dip to use up the bag of tortillas. Then the top of my fridge will be clear!

1 Like

BOLLOCKS. I completely forgot about that. I suspect the one we have is fishy.

Glad my vegans did not get sick from it (they’ve been vegan for over a decade).

1 Like

Today I made pesto from a bunch of basil I had from the farmers’ market. It used up the last of my pine nuts and then I mixed it into half a bag of pasta (used up), my last can of tuna, and my last can of artichokes.

Currently soaking grits to use tomorrow, which used up a bag of those.

4 Likes

I used two cans of chickpeas for our party hummus—only nine more to go. I need to make a lot more hummus to use up a jar of tahini. Somehow we ended up with two open jars. We also used up a bag of barley and will use up some pasta tonight.

2 Likes

What did you use the barley for? I have a bag I need to use up, too.

We sautéed some vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, broccoli, etc.) and served it on top of the barley. Some of the vegetables are also going on the pasta because we had a ton of veggies.

We also like this recipe for barley:
https://ohsheglows.com/2010/12/30/easy-creamy-tomato-barley-risotto/

1 Like

Cooked some brown rice. Also going to start eating the oatmeal we have again instead of breakfast sandwiches every morning.

Bought a lot of healthy food at the store today. Now trying to figure out how to use all that produce along with the things in my pantry before they go bad…

1 Like

I like this recipe for barley. Bonus if you have passata and tins of tomatoes to use in the pantry.

2 Likes

My pantry it turns out is full of spices and sauces and tea.

I am trying to drink a cup of tea every time the toddler has her “quiet time”.

4 Likes

I have so much tea as well

2 Likes

Just got a message from the electricity company that my power will be off for 12 hours at the end of the month, this is more incentive to eat everything in my freezer!

1 Like

@nnls oh my I have so much tea! I used to be in a tea club which meant everyone I knew gave me tea! Plus the fancier stuff I got from the club.

3 Likes

a tea club sounds fancy and amazing

It was really fun! I learned all about the gongfu method of brewing tea and learned how different temps, steep times, and multiple brews affect the flavor. And of course got to try loads of unique tea! There’s one that tastes just like honey.

4 Likes

I haven’t been as great at eating down the cupboards/fridge as I hoped. The end of August will be busy for me, so I plan on using up frozen meals, ramen noodles, and boxed soup then.

My big success: I have avoided buying lunch at work by eating oatmeal instead. I bought lunch at work only once this month (I donated blood, so I wanted something more substantial than just oatmeal).

We are going out of town tonight for the weekend, so I took some short rib out of the freezer. I put it in some marinade so when it defrosts it will be ready to go by the time we get back. I used only stuff I had on hand – garlic, ginger scallions, white wine, soy sauce, spices. I’ll have it with green beans (in the fridge already) and rice (in the pantry).

2 Likes