Eat Down the Pantry: August 2019

So many canned beets, olives, and tuna in my cabinet. Also lots of tomatoes starting to get soft…
So I made a big salad with all that stuff and threw the teriyaki tuna on top with about an ounce of crumbled cheese. Win.

3 Likes

5 lbs of cornmeal is my usual purchaser. That’s the smallest bag it comes in, at least down here. I generally buy more when I’m down to ~2 pounds.

1 Like

I had already started this, so I’m joining in!

My goal: nothing stored on top of fridge or floor of pantry.

• I used up a dried onion dip by adding it to mashed potatoes.
  • My cousin gave me weird ingredients cleaning out her pantry, and I in turn gave to someone’s work “free table” because I’m never going to eat some of that stuff.
4 Likes

I ate all my black bean tacos, so one can of black beans (of two) is down. They were really delicious, and I only used stuff I had lying around. They didn’t finish off any other ingredients, but they made a dent.

I decided I wanted risotto with my eggplant instead of grits, so I’ll be doing that tonight. I have an opened bottle of white wine in the fridge I bought just for cooking, so I’ll use some of that. I’ll make some quick veg stock from frozen scraps in the freezer. I have some mascarpone to use up, so some of that will end up in there, plus some other cheese odds and ends and lemon zest and juice.

2 Likes

Another batch of cornbread last night. Granola this morning with walnuts and the last of the dried apricots, plus brownies to use up some flour and cocoa powder. Extra tapioca almost gone, and I’ll bringing one of the cans of olives to a gaming session this afternoon.

1 Like

Okay, still haven’t inventoried everything, but I made a quick stop at the grocery store on my way home for perishables I knew I needed (fruit/vegetables)…$8.20 spent, and my plan isn’t to go back to the store until those are gone. Unfortunately my squash/pepper/tomato plants all got pruned by several days of hail in a row earlier this summer, pruned in this case meaning pounded to stumps, and my fruit tree got taken down by the HOA (can’t argue with the reasoning, the nice people who originally planted trees in the neighborhood somehow missed the fact that trees grow) so I’m not likely to have enough produce of my own to offset much of anything, but so it goes.

1 Like

Progress–batch cooking for lunches/dinners this week (I trade half-batches with another person who does batch cooking so I’m not eating the same thing for every single meal) was fried rice, so used up
The last of one bottle of peanut oil from the pantry
The last of the brussel sprouts from the fridge
One onion (part of produce purchase this week so doesn’t really count)

Rice/peas/eggs/soy sauce/sesame oil were also used, but not used up yet.

1 Like

Oh, man, all of the things on your list are things I use a lot. :upside_down_face: You should see my list. Maybe I will post my list. It is basically everything still left over from when I did this (in January or something?)…

1 Like

I use a lot of them a lot too – hence why there’s so much to use up, I did some bulk buys and then discovered we had to move. :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face: If I eat these up now, I don’t have to move them in September…

Also yes pls post yr list.

1 Like

Oof, I forgot about the move, good point!

Will post list, it is ridiculous.

1 Like

Ridiculous list (everything from the last time I did this):

• jar of maraschino cherries
  • can of water chestnuts
  • box of tempura batter mix
  • can of pink salmon
  • 1 package moo shu shells
  • frozen dehydrated yellow squash (who am I kidding I should just chuck them!)
  • frozen dehydrated banana chips
  • apple butter
  • Wondra gravy flour
  • teff flour
  • iri genmai
  • 1 boxes instant potatoes (those god damned instant potatoes)
  • ramune gummy candy
  • matcha milk candy
  • egg flower soup mix
  • packet of Vietnamese instant coffee

The thing is, these are all things I theoretically eat, and in some cases love! It’s just that sometimes I get a little ambitious and then don’t follow through. :upside_down_face:

Adding:

• jar of Bonne Maman blackberry jelly (having a hard time now that I am also canning for myself!, also out of date, but it is full sugar so I’m not worried)
  • jar of Bonne Maman raspberry preserves (ditto on the canning, also I don’t naturally eat a lot of jam/jelly/preserves, ditto on the out of date-ness)
  • tetra pack of unsweetened soy milk (used for ramen, but it’s a bit out of date)
  • tetra pack of coffee flavored soy milk (bought on a whim (super sale) and also a bit out of date)
  • jar of Worcestershire sauce I got from my friend who moved, which has never been opened, and which expired (“expired”) last year. I should probably just throw it away, I don’t eat steak.
  • fancy white nama shoyu (just use it!!!)
  • Korean rice syrup (purchased for red bean bun cooking, but I haven’t made any red bean buns since!)
2 Likes

Worcestershire is great in some soups and casseroles – I used a few drops in a vegan French onion soup, for example, or in a cheddar-based mac n cheese, etc.

Do you eat jelly rolls? They use up jam/jelly like WHOA.

Agreed, I use Worcestershire in almost every broth-based soup I make! It’s also great in spaghetti sauce.

1 Like

Huh. I had never heard of using Worcestershire sauce thusly. And now I shall.

Also, I am not a jelly roll fiend or anything, but I do like cake, so I could be. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha. Stay tuned for jelly roll shenanigans…

Also, this platform does not think thusly is a word. Away with ye!

2 Likes

Worcestershire is basically just umami in a bottle, so you can use it whenever you’re looking for that!

2 Likes

I’m always up for some umami! (Well, except it deserts. Lol.)

1 Like

You could put jelly between cake layers instead of icing. I don’t bake cakes, but this is what I get when I order them.

2 Likes

My pantry challenge headed the wrong way today but the grocery store had a bunch of canned goods for 80% off so I stocked up on chickpeas and a few other things we use. We’re hosting a party so I’ll make some hummus and use up some tahini that’s in the fridge.

3 Likes

The list:

-red lentils
-red kidney beans
-cannellini beans
-7 oz snowflake pasta
-sprinkles
-white flour
-yellow cornmeal
-maseca
-dried apricots
-dried mandarins
-pecans
-walnuts
-makings for seitan
-rolled oats
-coconut milk (0/3)
-canned crab
-extra tapioca
-croutons
-olives (1/6 cans)
-somen
-canned corn
-so much shredded cheese
-get molasses down to 1 jar
-phyllo in the freezer
-an extra tamal in the freezer
-shrimp tails for soup stock

Planning a coconut-based stir fry tonight using up either fresh chicken or some freezer shrimp. I’ve been making headway slowly on the bulk grains, too.

1 Like

Oooh, I have coconut milk and frozen shrimp to use up too. Let me know what you end up coming up with!

1 Like