Eat Down the Pantry: August 2019

I’m in. My pantry has a ton of one-off things in it right now and it’s hard to find anything I actually want when I’m cooking. In for reducing the space taken up in the chest freezer too. How am I out of space with a 19 cu ft freezer?

1 Like

Made an early start by polishing off a tub of couscous tonight. The good news is that we still have several packets of couscous to cook…

1 Like

On the menu for next week:

Seared Ahi: Found some vacuum sealed ahi steaks in the freezer. This will also use up a small partial bottle of good sesame oil
Shakshuka: Uses up a can of tomatoes about to expire
Catfish à la meunière with urad dal & kale (also lots of capers because I got excited and bought a quart jar of them). Uses up the last bit of the dal and open bag of rice flour

Need something to do with cuttlefish ink.

1 Like

I’m in. I have some food in my freezer and cupboard that have been there a while, and I’d like to reel in my food spending. I’ll be eating a lot of oatmeal, rice, and chili in August.

1 Like

Added to my list:

-extra tapioca
-croutons
-olives
-somen
-canned corn
-so much shredded cheese

1/2 cup oats gone this morning to oatmeal. Most of the rest of the non-Bob’s tapioca is soaking in prep for becoming pudding, and I’m planning cornbread as part of my meals today. Granola may happen if I’m feeling energetic.

I am into this! I have a big vacation coming up and we are in hurricane season. I should be eating down my freezer specifically. There is a bag of expensive hand picked blueberries, tomato sauce and more in there. Will take more of an inventory when I am home.

2 Likes

HOMEMADE PASTA, YO. :wink:

2 Likes

Finished off some oat flour and a packet of crystallised ginger tonight, in a batch of ginger choc chip cookies. Unfortunately due to miscommunication with Mr H they got horribly burned :sob:

3 Likes

And so it begins :). I’ll do the big pantry/fridge assessment this weekend since right now my whiteboards are at least a couple months out of date, but at this point I know I have a squash/brussel sprout mix and the remains of beef stew and pepper quiche in the fridge that should keep me fed and out of the grocery store until at least that point.

1 Like

OK I am in. I just moved a few months back, so my backstop items are not that plentiful, but I have some big expenses this month and could really stand to trim back my grocery spend.
So… ready to give it a try!!

Breakfast today included no dry items (eggs, tortilla, salad mix, tomatoes, and black beans) but dinner tonight will be those whole wheat noodles that have been in the cabinet with one of the half eaten bags of some kind of frozen veggie that’s probably shoved to the back of the freezer. Add… teriyaki and scrambled eggs, and it’s a meal. :boom:

1 Like

Guys, all I can say is… SOS.

6 Likes

Throw an “eat up my fridge” party?

Cornmeal is going to need concerted effort to get rid of it. Sigh. Maybe I should make some polenta cakes…?

Tapioca is already almost down to reasonable levels.

1 Like

Don’t like cornbread? Cause that’s the easy answer. You can make it with cheese in, or tomatoes in. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve made this cake multiple times because it’s so good: https://food52.com/recipes/32626-new-england-spider-cake

1 Like

Slight improvement: for lunch, made a salad with the rest of the chickpeas in there, some of the farro, the cooked zucchini, the rest of a pesto container that’s been in there forever, and some olives and goat cheese. I froze the rest of the cooked farro because I won’t get to it in time. So like 4 pint containers are out of there now.

4 Likes

@Oro I like cornbread a lot, actually, I just have like… 5lbs of cornmeal to use up. @___@

That is a very intriguing cake, @bucketsofrain. I may have to try it. And nice job getting rid of containers! \o/

1 Like

You don’t have to use all of it up. Even making progress with it is valuable (and it will take up less space)… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am a New Englander and I have never heard of this cake! :thinking: But custard filled cornbread sounds positively delightful. Adding it to the queue…

2 Likes

Oh yeah! I’m mostly trying to use up this one container of it that I have. I have a nearly full 5lb bag and then a tupperware with some cornmeal from… some time ago something or other.

It’s probably more like 7lbs tbh.

Luckily, I found this recipe which was both tasty and pretty simple, and lets me use my adorable 6" cast iron.

2 Likes

OOH, valuable for me, added to recipe links. If only I had a cute 6" cast iron skillet. (I do NOT need more cookware!) But maybe I could use my dolsot bowls and cook for a little longer (since the bottom is rounded). Or even just a baking dish, if I have one the right size (not sure).

1 Like