Do you have anxiety Spending in the Crisis?

I got this style in 3 colors as well as the tank/shorts version. Washes well and super comfy.

2 Likes

Our grocery spending is up due to not being able to shop sales and wanting to stock up.
I bought a laptop a few weeks ago when we started getting cases in my county so I could work from home.

I just ordered an inflatable pool online because we’ve officially entered steady 90 degree weather and I’m going to need some way to cool off if I want to be outside.

I’ve been stress browsing a lot of clothing, but haven’t purchased due to worries about returns. I have a dress that I bought on amazon before all this started that didn’t fit and I might just have to eat the cost of it.

3 Likes

Our spending is way up, although it’s mostly stuff that we had planned to buy eventually:

• Bought my immune-compromised friend a switch because she’s in super lockdown and will be for the foreseeable future and I wanted to fix literally any of her problems
  • Mr Darling went to the grocery store to stock up and got caught up in the panic and spent $299 on groceries. He almost exclusively bought things we will actually eat, so theoretically just early spending, not extra spending
  • Then we got another grocery delivery from Costco (~$150) for snacks and stuff that we wanted giant versions of
  • We got approved to foster a cat, which means we needed to clear out the room where we were storing all our stuff we hadn’t unpacked yet, which means we needed to buy bookshelves to put all that stuff on. If we had more time and weren’t worried about social distancing we may have bought them second hand, but we got them new
  • We both got desks since we work from home now. We should probably get nicer chairs but haven’t yet.
  • Im trying to make my outdoor space nice so we can hang out outside the house, so I just bought $150 of dirt, and we got some patio chairs. I was planning on doing this anyway, but potential lockdowns mean that I rushed the orders
  • I’m not worrying about spending on video games. I’d normally try to limit how many we got per month, or wait til they’re on sale, but now I don’t care

Both our jobs are secure (biotech and government contracting), and Mr Darling just started his job after being unemployed for a long time, so we’re in the weird position of having more money than ever before while the economy is melting down. We still haven’t figured out giving but we are actively thinking about it.

10 Likes

I am in the same position and it is super weird!

2 Likes

You are such a sweet friend :heart:

This is so exciting!

3 Likes

Please share. My current system is not pretty

1 Like

Hmmm I have similar items from back when I was a person who did sexy things. I will test drive them

1 Like

I liked these because they were a good mix of sexy but practical, because soft cotton. I also wore them with pants under them when we had visitors in the weeks after Bobbin was born because I needed boob access and didn’t own nursing things. So they’ve gotten lots of wear pre and post baby

3 Likes

I’m super tempted to round out my collection of strongman toys… er, training equipment. But I’m pretty sure I’d have to drive up to the mountains to use them. If my neighbors didn’t like deadlifts, they’re going to hate it when I drop a 300 pound log from overhead.

4 Likes

Kitty litter? That’s pretty heavy.

1 Like

But also open… I feel like the results will go poorly.

2 Likes

Oh, looks like my old sponsor is still open. Elite FTS https://www.elitefts.com/shop/accessories/bands-1.html

I don’t see much in the way of dumbbells or plates, i think York supplied of a lot of that PA shut everything down. But, their resistance bands go up to 150# of resistance per band, so you can get a lot done with that.

IronMind has the best grip stuff out there, and their sandbags are top tier. So, now I’m thinking about improvising. A good, sturdy bag filled with sand can go a long way. A couple of them and a piece of blackiron pipe can give you a good substitute for a lot of barbell type movements. And, chains. They’re for more than just recreation now! Good, heavy chain draped over your shoulders is great for adding weight to pull-ups, lunges, whatever.

So if any home improvement stores are delivering and those other options don’t work out, we can make it work.

1 Like

I am pretty sure SSO would not like it if I brought a large bag with sand or a bunch of pipe into our small hamster cage apartment.

2 Likes

Yeah… I forget what city apartments are like sometimes. Good point.

1 Like

I don’t have heavy weights at home but my trainer had us doing a shit ton of overhead squats with 10-16kg weights…and holy crap that is burning my ass and thighs more than deads do

(But I have issues with hip abduction and shoulder mobility that you probably don’t so prob wouldn’t have the same effect for you!!)

1 Like

I just want a 10-16kg weight! Everything in my house is like 4.5kg, including the cat. There’s none to buy! and once i start assembling objects, they tend to get awkward and large and impossible to hold. (not to mention my hands suck already so there’s that)

I’m mostly whining but still a bit sad about it. Obviously me having weight training to do is like…not that important.

2 Likes

I was going to buy a good used mattress from a stranger but the corona thing is messing up that plan. I will buy a new mattress like a person who hates the planet.

5 Likes

Would you like a 16kg kettlebell?

Shipping heavy things to my kids hasn’t been as spendy as I thought. Let me know and I will gladly send it your way - I can check out loaners from my gym!

2 Likes

I can give you one, but he’s a bit wriggly.

9 Likes

I feel like the freight on that weight would be astronomical.

5 Likes