Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

5 pairs of pants donated to value village. I tried to sell them at a local 2nd hand clothing shop, but they decided not to take anything. I considered whether I should keep the navy pant suit together, but I don’t like the pants, don’t fit the pants, but I think I still like the jacket. (the pants are 16 and don’t fit, the jacket is a 12 and fits pretty nicely, because that is how my body and manufacturer clothing sizes intersect)

I kept the black suit where the pants don’t fit because I’m not ready for the regret I anticipate feeling.

ETA: things going to garbage, 1 pair of old sneakers since I already have 2 backup pairs. 1 pair of blown out jeans since I’m not going to use that fabric to mend other jeans.

10 Likes

A local indy college has a program where you can donate “interview” clothing to the students. A local dry cleaner cleans them.

4 Likes

Tossed out- 8 pairs of little socks, a summer meshy style hoodie that is showing 11 years of wear, 2 pairs of pajama shorts I don’t like wearing. One sweatshirt listed on buy nothing.

8 Likes

Put three things that were not going anywhere on Buy Nothing out into the alley last night. They are gone this morning. The alley gives and the alley takes away :pray:

14 Likes

Finally got rid of a big pile of cardboard boxes that had been hanging out in my living room.

7 Likes

I read this and took out my recycling BEFORE it became a mound. Thank you.

8 Likes

BRAG :wink:

4 Likes

You are a trend setter!!

2 Likes

There will be a community garage sale this weekend. How much stuff can I unload during it?

Do y’all think it’s weird to sell clothes/shoes at a garage sale? I’m just debating whether or not to put out the stuff I was planning on posting to Buy Nothing. If nothing sells, then I still post them to the group anyway.

I’m trying to get Husband onboard to go through his closets and boxes and find things that can move out.

12 Likes

probably 1/2 to 1/3 of garage sales around here include a rack of clothing or folded clothes on a table/tarp

7 Likes

Garage sales around here always include clothes. Quite often the last few hours have them marked free so people don’t have to take them to a donation center.

7 Likes

The few times I’ve checked out garage sales here there’s definitely been clothes.

3 Likes

IMO the most common thing at garage sales is clothes.

3 Likes

the eat down the pantry challenge has inspired me to throw away the fake sugars that have been sitting in the pantry for several years since they don’t taste right or give us headaches, and there is no point in experimenting aka wasting more good food to see if we can get around it.

Also several tea towels are discarded. Maybe I will get new ones as my holiday present (I jest, my holiday present was the financial advisor)

9 Likes

6 unworn corporate / occasion / swag tshirts + 1 pair jeans, 1 dress, 3 pairs unworn corporate / swag socks going to thrift shop

2 tshirts moved from bin storage to rags

1 pair sweat pants and 1 pair jeans and several tshirts to go to textile recycling

1 pair jeans to go into bin storage
4 sentimental tshirts put back into bin storage

Eta the women’s L t-shirts from corporate swag so anger inducing. In what world?
eta2: there was an errant sock in one of the tshirts that has been in a bin for 5+ years

8 Likes

Almost always antique and other second-hand stores are happy to take your bubblewrap, extra grocery bags, and cardboard boxes. If you go to such places regularly, like I do, it’s an easy way to keep the pile down. I do remove address labels first though.

May not work for you, but before I started doing this, we always had a pile…

✓And – thank you! This reminded me I need to see if I have any extra grocery bags for the flea market I’m doing this weekend! :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I just did it AGAIN. Going for a three-pete.

9 Likes

Garage sale on Saturday. Husband looked askance at me because I came home last night with a garment rack and a rack full of bins from some student off reddit. “I thought the point was for things to LEAVE the house.”

Tomorrow I plan to go to the bank and get small bills and to the library to print out my venmo QR code and Zelle info. Then I spend the rest of the day off work rummaging through closets and labelling items. Gonna be systematic going through every room in the house top to bottom. I will be merciless. GET THEE GONE!

Post garage sale, I already have someone who wants the garment rack on buy nothing, but I’m debating keeping the other rack because it really is nicely set up for smaller items might be useful for reorganizing the garage wood pile and various smaller things that end up scattered and then I can’t find them and buy new things.

What are y’all’s garage sale tips?

8 Likes

A neighbor had a yard sale with a lot of clothing, and she put out plastic bags and said fill a bag for $5 or something. For the clothing that wasn’t precious. Definitely encouraged people to take a chance on more items.

8 Likes

garbage from basement: 5 open caulking tubes, 1 mostly used contact cement tube from a shoe fix
bag of batteries (to go to the battery disposal at Staples next time we’re at that mall)

ETA: non functional solar light

6 Likes