Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

I procrastinized. Why did I have 5 boxes of raisins with 10 raisins left in each one?

16 Likes

I decluttered every inch of my carā€¦glove box, pockets of both seats, and weird door pockets. The pile of crap was astoundingā€¦this photo was taken after the disposal of countless napkins and gum wrappers that I was too ashamed to include in the photo. I should really do this more than once every 5 years :upside_down_face: the bad part is that everything was stuffed away, so my car really didnā€™t seem that bad to me, until I started rummaging through the glove box and seat pockets and found my car registration from 2016 along with eye drops that expired in 2014 and 5 melted chapsticks :grimacing:

14 Likes

Been going thru the 3 boxes of books I pulled out of the attic. Only 8 more and I can X that off the BINGO. Soon, soon.

The potato bag where I keep the books for the dumpā€™s swap table is filling up too.

Found a slug of material that goes to one specific fellowā€¦ That pile is now about 2x bigger than it gets when I usually mail them off. Definitely has to be done Friday!

8 Likes

I bought some new clothes and shoes so I cleaned out my closet. Iā€™ve got 2 full trash bags for donation. Some are practically new, I really need to be better about not keeping things I donā€™t like very well.

8 Likes

Heā€™s boss of the beach! Or tree!

1 Like

I cleaned out my cookbooks and will donate them to the library book sale next week. Itā€™s all baking cookbooks that I had some pages tagged in and then never made in 15+ years. Apparently at one time I thought I would become a fancy baker but the reality is that I make like the same 10 desserts most of the time.

I still need to reorganize the kitchen one of these days.

10 Likes

I have many recipe books for all that I cook like, 5 things on repeat and most of which I donā€™t need a recipe for. Iā€™m thinking one of these days Iā€™ll just scan the ones I like that I do need reference to make and donate everything.

6 Likes

I do have a recipe box that was my grandfathers (I gave it to him as a kid then after he passed my grandma gave it back to me) with cards in it but I should go through them too. I also have a binder with copies of things Iā€™ve printed from the internet I say Iā€™m going to tryā€¦

5 Likes

DH gave away our old wok and an open bag of flavored coffee he didnā€™t like on BN. I tried to sell some clothes at Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads but I am no longer cool so instead weā€™ll drop them off at the thrift store and someone will get some nice new workwear that doesnā€™t fit me anymore.

10 Likes

I just watched a youtuber explain that every one of my jackets is completely and irretrievably out of style. Which I knew, but makes it even harder to let them go, because nobody else would actually want them (for another 15 years until the pendulum swings again I guess).

4 Likes

Started the day wondering what I can get rid of this week? My pantry needs a major cleaning and restock, I may find some items for the food pantry there. The seasonal switch over to fall/winter gear has begun, and that will no doubt yield a stray glove or two, a sweater I donā€™t want to wear, etc.

I canā€™t do more books. My desk is piled high with pieces quoted out to my customer. When he tells me yes or no re the quoted material, then I can get more books researched/sorted. But at the moment, Iā€™m seeing my monitor is through an L of piled books. Not sane to do moreā€¦

So, pantry, and clothing this morning at least. After that? Weā€™ll see!

4 Likes

I did a pass of clearing off my desk, which reduced the papers on it by 75% and filled up the (tiny) trashcan next to me. Now the remaining papers I actually have to do stuff with, ugh.

I was wondering how Mr. Meer kept his desk so clutter free and then I realized heā€™s only responsible for like 5% of the paper mail that comes into the house. :roll_eyes: That helps a bunch. Our email inboxes are similar - he has next to none, I have a ton because I also do most of the household/kid admin.

6 Likes

I will counter with what is out of style to one person is retro and cool to another. And some of us just donā€™t like the new InStyle things no matter what the Instagram and Facebook of the world tried to tell us!

8 Likes

Figured out which of the two potato mashers we have is the one I want to keep. (This is what happens when you move between a bunch of share houses for a whileā€¦ you accumulate very random kitchen shit.)

9 Likes

I realized I have a large food processor, a small food processor, AND a food processor thatā€™s driven by our stick blender - now I can get rid of the small one!

Iā€™m also getting rid of a bag full of cookie cutters that were given to me that we never use, and only keeping the ones that are actually favorites.

10 Likes

Posted a book and some kids birthday cards on our buy nothing. I was surprised the book went and that the cards are still sitting there? I am also surprised some high value cat food/treats coupons no one wanted either. I will probably use the coupons and donate the food to the humane society or I could just leave them on a shelf next to the product in a grocery store. The birthday cards I will give to a coworker at the gym who had 5 kids if they donā€™t go in the next day.

5 Likes

Two cans of expired tunaā€”contents trashed and cans recycled. Swapped out the lazy Susan that was never quite right for the babyā€™s bottles with the freezer milk storage bin. Lazy Susan now holds cans of tomato products on a higher shelf in the pantry that makes it easier for me, a v short person, to see whatā€™s in the back without getting the ladder out and shuffling stuff around. A chain reaction of wins, and no money spent!

9 Likes

Decluttered about 10 boxes of Banza pasta because I donā€™t like it but for some reason was holding onto it for ā€œemergenciesā€ even though I would literally never make chickpea pasta in an emergency. Posted to buy nothing and claimed within like 30 seconds.

Decluttered dog food that puppy canā€™t eat anymore, also posted to buy nothing and claimed immediately.

I love buy nothing!!

11 Likes

me too. so much.

4 Likes

Just brought a vacuum cleaner, a soda stream, a food processor, and a bunch of clothes/books/ā€œthingsā€ to the ARC. The vacuum cleaner and soda stream have been sitting in our garage in a ā€œdonateā€ bin for probably a year, so itā€™s nice to not look at them anymore :slight_smile:

10 Likes