Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

In light of having a baby in the house for the day on Saturday, and realizing that, I could almost move a baby into the house with all the gear I still have, I decluttered the smaller items.

I do not need baby shoes, or snowsuits, or bottles. These are all things which it would be reasonable for baby’s parents to send with him when he comes to visit.

I have kept the playpen, highchair, swing, bib, feeding gear, toys, and books.

I also went through the receiving blankets/crib sheets and got rid of all the ones I didn’t make myself, but that wasn’t many because I did make most of my own, and they are larger and thicker than store bought on purpose.

Next time baby comes his parents can look through the purge pile and take home what they want, and we will donate the rest.

14 Likes

This tracks with what I’ve found it most helpful for my kids grandparents to have already at their houses when we visit.

5 Likes

2 bags of drawings and craft pieces in our bedroom are now 1 smaller bag of craft pieces in the kids craft shelves.

5 Likes

More unfucking than decluttering but I found this thread first. :grimacing: got a stacking craft box for meds, so now first aid in bin on top, then meds below.

Also found this little caddy that goes on our dish drainer for small items. Game changer. Best $8 I’ve spent in a while. This way little things like baby straws and measuring spoons don’t fall through and get dirty all over again.

12 Likes

I threw out over two bags of expired food and unusable Tupperware yesterday, along with washing most dishes. My kitchen is usable!!

11 Likes

Dropped off excess baby gear (Car seat cover, shoes, sandals, snowsuit) to my cousin on Friday.

Funny thing about the car seat cover, it came form another cousin, who’s twins are 18 now. So it was hers then went to my now 14 year old, then my now 11 year old, and now the latest baby. all second cousins to one another.

13 Likes

Gave away size 7 snowboots that were worn maybe 2 times. He had the audacity to need snowboots at the end of last season and not fit into them this season. Glad someone can use them.

Also, we found snowboots for $16 at walmart last year, and the cheapest pair they had this year was $40. Kids don’t need to go outside, right?

10 Likes

Oh! And I cleaned out my closet and got rid of all the blazers I bought more 15 years ago and never ever wear, because who wears blazers to work anymore.

I also got rid of t-shirts I hate. I still need to do the pants side of the closet.

I am going to give them to a guy who collects stuff for a refugee community so can usually find someone who needs any size. But right now they are just in the donation bin, so they were more moved than decluttered. But if he doesn’t come pick them up, they will go to goodwill

6 Likes

Oh sad you missed the target sale! They had 60% off kids boots for Black Friday. I got the $35 snow boots for like $16

5 Likes

aaaghhh! Oh well.

3 Likes

Ahhh I almost shared too but felt like I was spamming people.

2 Likes

I would be on board for an annual thread (or maybe reviving a thread so people don’t have to rejoin a new one every year?) This year I posted one link to the shopping thread and next year I’m definitely going to set myself a calendar reminder for a few places I want to check out. I also set myself a reminder to book dog boarding every year but I need to push that closer to the holidays because so far I’ve ignored it every year and later been scrambling with everyone else once we actually have plans figured out.

4 Likes

Last week I was thinking about how decluttering, organizing, packing for moves is so hard for some people and decided it would make a good side gig. I already started with my first client yesterday. I have moved 30 times and emptied entire homes for family and friends so decided why not get paid especially since I love this type of work.

21 Likes

I cleared all the asst. stuff off the fridge!

9 Likes

My mom hires an organizer. Part of my instructions when my mom dies is to get in touch with the organizer (I think her name is Jennifer) because Jennifer definitely knows where all my mom’s papers and whatever are. So I’m not sure if you’re using the word organizer as you look for clients but you definitely should, there’s a market. It’s also helpful for her to have someone to talk to and hold her hand as she tackles files from however many years ago to figure out if they need to be kept or shredded, she definitely never does this by herself.

7 Likes

Don’t know if you have an ALDI nearby, but they had kids boots at $12 in this week’s ad.

4 Likes

Yes I am using the term professional organizer. I was also a social worker so good at providing emotional support also.

9 Likes

Wow!! Lots of wins on this thread!! Nice work everyone… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Board games and puzzles purged.

12 Likes

Decluttered an armchair to my SIL, who just bought her first house!

Plan is to declutter a lot of paperwork this week.

9 Likes