Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Most stuff sold today, most of it to a very early lady who bought most of the ‘good stuff’. Gave away a mop that was Mom’s that I just couldn’t bring myself to put into the dumpster. She offered me $1 and I said no, she could have it.

I have a cheap coffee pot and a set of white dishes that is service for 6, plates, bowls, salad plates, mugs. I have $3 on the coffee pot and $10 on the dishes. Those are things I just want gone. Tomorrow is Saturday, maybe there will be more buyers.

7 Likes

I sorted through my kid’s outerwear and clothes, and put outgrown or just unworn stuff in bags. Those will probably go to the friend who has been taking our other hand-me-downs.

I put FB back on my phone so I could offer our cloth diapers. I have a couple of people interested. I also listed a partial box of Swiffer wipes (pretty sure they were left here by the previous owners of our house), and responded to someone’s request for baby stuff with an offer of burp cloths.

8 Likes

5 puzzles in a donation bag. Cleaned out a travel work box and put things away or disposed of irrelevant items. Box cleaned and put away empty.

2 Likes

Box of stuff to the auction person.

Dump day today, so more will go.

2 Likes

I took the bus to Staples with my old broken printer (that hasnt been used in like, 2 years at least) for e-waste recycling.

13 Likes

Gave the coffee pot to a lady, sold her the clothes hamper for $5. Donated the dishes when I couldn’t give them away at the yard sale.

Today, once I get dressed, I go back up to the storage RV and get more winter clothes and take some things back up. Also, plan to bring back the tote of towels so that I can do a final winnow out of what I’m keeping. Then I will also start getting rid of the multitude of sheets. The same neighbor who takes the towels to the Humane Society will take the sheets. All this is because I’m getting rid of more than 3 household’s worth of goods that hadn’t been gone through in years.

I’m starting to see a difference, slowly. I have a lot of empty totes now. I’m keeping most of them and filling the emptier spaces. At some point I will get rid of them and close out the storage space. That is the plan anyway. Moving in that direction I also plan to start breaking down and recycling the ‘good’ cardboard boxes. So many boxes.

12 Likes

Sold the puppy’s too-small crate for $50. Had a tonne of interest in it and probably could have got more, but I also bought that crate used for $50, and his current, bigger crate was left behind by a former tenant so I’m breaking pretty even on dog crates at the moment.

Also had a declutter pick up on Friday. In total I think I had five bags out for them.

Cleaned J2s desk drawers on the weekend. I literally held each item up ‘keep or toss?’. By the time we were done he had probably a full garbage bag worth of toss, and I left him to put the rest away after removing all the toss.

It sounds like our family may be making a change in the next year. I should start a journal to keep track of what needs to be done and how it goes.

8 Likes

Went through both kids’ stuff and did another cull. We are getting there. Not fast.

9 Likes

Giant task tackled by SirB- he went though the entire deep freezer. Courtesy of my having a hunting and fishing family, and being willing to take freezer burnt food to help people make space for hunting season (some we’ll eat if it’s not too bad and just season strongly- the rest we used to give to a friend who raw fed their dog). But. Toddler happened. And moving. And there was a lot of fish and game organ meats that were from like 2014-2016 range. Happy to report the doggies of someone from Buy Nothing will be very happy, and we have much more freezer room now! I have an inventory of everything on the inside board now, so hopefully we’ll get through and use it all. Putting a moratorium on myself from buying any more meat until we use every bit of what we have, even the weird cuts that are hard to use sometimes :sweat_smile:

Also, husband loaded the giant goodwill box into the car. Nap time goal: overcome my drop off anxiety and get it all donated. (In the past I’ve had experiences with them turning away donations, going through stuff in front of me and shaming me for donating kids clothes at that location because they weren’t taking it?? Like I had a way of knowing when nothing says that??! Anyway, it’s led to a massive wall of anxiety about this but I need to get r done)

14 Likes

I’ve had this happen too. I tried to drop off a bedframe once (totally metal) and lots of kids things, and both times they acted like I should know. With both things they were like “no one will take those. Goodwill, Arc, Salvation Army, no one is allowed to take bed frames or kids toys/items. You should put them out at the curb.”

It’s so weird to me that they aren’t allowed to take that kind of stuff anymore, and how am I supposed to know when they randomly stop accepting certain items. I bought a bedframe from that exactly location when I was in college!

3 Likes

This was even worse- I checked the website! Most goodwills accept kids clothes! Just this location didn’t at the time. Like ??? How am I supposed to know that you mean spirited old goblin?

6 Likes

Not accepting kids clothes is bizarre. Unless they just have so many they are overwhelmed?

Ours doesn’t take strollers. You have to find someone on buy nothing to take it.

2 Likes

It was in an area of the city where very few people have kids. I realized later they don’t even have a kids section in the store. :woman_shrugging: I get it I guess but I wish the goodwill website would say stuff like that on the individual location pages.

3 Likes

You’d think they could send it to a different Goodwill location. I’m pretty sure they have trucks.

My cloth diapers ended up with the person who wanted them (it was a somewhat complicated process) and she’s really happy! :tada:

7 Likes

You would think! :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Goodwill stuff successfully donated! The guy was lovely and didn’t peep in the box at all as I unloaded.

11 Likes

Nice work! :star2:

3 Likes

I stopped donating to Goodwill at all bcuz of stuff like this. I found the Salvation Army was much more reasonable, so I donate there or take it to the bin at the dump’s swap shop.

1 Like

Salvation Army is a much better place to donate.

1 Like

Salvation Army is much further away (30 min versus less than 15). I try to donate to local places, but the one I’ve been able to find without a super restrictive list (ie, only women’s clothes) is three times the drive distance.

This is part of why the bulk of my stuff goes through buy nothing.

4 Likes