Decluttering discussion thread: share your wins, ask for advice, inspire each other!

Eh. Toddler, still pandemic. Still excused in my book. :grinning: But, also cool that you are getting to it now so life can be a little easier.

4 Likes

Thank you :heart: better late than never. I’m just hoping this streamlines my life. I don’t like being the Quartermaster for the family lol. I feel like I’m the only one who knows where a lot of stuff is, and that is NOT husband and my dynamic classically.

5 Likes

My bathroom and the kids room are always calm functional spaces in my house, so i know we’re capable of “only the things that fit may live here” even when the rest of the house doesn’t show it

5 Likes

It’s “deal with our clothes” day over here. Wish us luck!

My wife and I are switching our warm weather/cold weather clothes, and pulling out things to donate. I have been fairly and rightly kicked out of the room where my wife is organizing, because I have a disease and can’t help but give organizing opinions.

My big goal is to to through my pile of unused and half used Sephora samples, and figure out what to give away or toss.

6 Likes

I keep sneaking away to work on decluttering while SirB has Latte distracted :joy: it feels like a very stupid spy movie

9 Likes

Kiddo went with Mr. Meer to the grocery store earlier, it was the first time in forever he’s done that so I unexpectedly had the house to myself and my first instinct was to clear the Halloween decorations out of his room that he had kidnapped, except I did that already last night when he was in the bath. Next time I’ll have to play Mission Impossible music for myself.

4 Likes

Haha yes I have all the Halloween stuff hidden in the guest room and I need to pack it away… sometime. Step 1. Get a container. :melting_face:

This is what happens when your mother shows up with a. Trash bag worth of decor. Ifhhh w

4 Likes

Update: it took 90 minutes (!!) but I managed to organize my toiletries section of the closet and to deep clean the whole closet. It was gross! It felt like a not great use of time when I have more pressing projects, but I’m telling myself that if it took that long, it really needed to happen.

My wife said that she’s done reorganizing, so I’m excited to see what she’s done.

Oh and, you guys: we bought that spinny mop and bucket system that you see on TikTok. It works so well! My wife mopped our living room/dining nook/kitchen area, and the mop water was filthy afterwards. So satisfying! I’ve been using a swiffer or a microfiber pad that you stick to a swiffer-like stick, and it doesn’t feel like it gets the floor as clean.

Next, I’m going to try to multitask making soup and switching out my clothes.

10 Likes

Dragged some old curtains that came with the house out of the bottom of the closet and have someone coming to get those tomorrow. Pulled a massive bunch of clothes I had sorted out but had to hide in my closet (#toddlerlife) and threw them in a box for goodwill. Side decluttering bonus, running through Kroger curbside bags as I gift stuff.

5 Likes

Good? No. Done? Absolutely not. More functional that it WAS? And some trash gone? Yes. And that is a victory.

14 Likes

Another box of books gone, unsold cookbooks left on the dump’s book swap table…

We went and added a few things to the booth and DH talked to a store where he has some items on consignment…

5 Likes

Cleaned out the accumulating work papers and folders, an inch of paper gone to recycling and 1 inch of folder space given back. Photos of a band I knew from 30 years ago and some old friends tossed from the filing cabinet. I found a contact page of photos of me I completely forgot about. I was so young! Keeping those for now.

5 Likes

Today my husband took the children out, and I stayed home to purge purge purge.

I have ‘surface cleaned’ both of their rooms (ie, the obvious junk) and have four bags ready to go to the thrift pickup this Friday plus two garbage bags in the shed.

The kids are out of school due to strike at the moment, hopefully they can continue deep cleaning now that it’s started (they both have executive functioning challenges, the older especially, where they just don’t see the mess).

End goal, it looks like we could be listing our house and moving in the new year

8 Likes

Yes, I guess it was time for a new scrub daddy.

16 Likes

That’s like scrub grampa there.

10 Likes

Uuuuuuuhhhh

Are you sure 23 sweaters is excessive?

4 Likes

This child is a creature of habit, and probably wore only five of them regularly.

We’re also on a few hand me down trains, which is how he ended up with so many.

And he can’t keep his room Clean. Less sweaters = less having to put sweaters away.

Six of them were navy blue fleece. Full zip, half zip, and pullover.

5 Likes

Nearly everything ive listed on buy nothing has takers! Plus the lady who is getting the toddler scissors for her school, I asked if she has any other office supply needs- haven’t decluttered there but happy to take requests, so we’ll see. Pretty sure we have 1000 years of pens :woman_shrugging: again, stuff that’s contained and doesn’t interfere with day to day life. But as the minimalist mom says “everything you own is asking something of you”. Trying to lighten that baseline load and see if it frees up some mental energy and reduces some stress.

10 Likes

Put a bag on buy nothing called “All the clothes cleaned out of my 5-year old daughter and 3-year old son’s closet (so they are sizes smaller than those)”

Had a taker who basically takes anything he can get and redistributes in a local refugee community he is a part of. (I think he might resell some of it, but I don’t care; it is out of my house.)

I love when I don’t need to bother listing individually.

19 Likes

It’s kinda hilarious. We had a warm late fall and now it’s cold and rainy. Buy nothing is HOPPIN :joy: everyone is hiding inside decluttering apparently.

6 Likes